Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Here is the how I got the K20a2 cams to work on the K20a3 head. You need the K20a2 cams (or type-r, tsx, crower...), K20a2 rockers and pins, and k20a2 rocker shafts. The pins in this picture are how they come in the A2 head

You have to switch the pins in the left and middle rocker like this picture

This locks the left and middle rocker together so that the middle rocker will not bounce around due to the cylinder head not having the lost motion spring.

This makes the left valve always ride on the vtec lobe and the right valve rides on the non-vtec lobe. When vtec is engaged by the solenoid it locks all three rockers together the same way the factory does and you have a regular working vtec.

Edit by Signalpuke:
More info on Rockers here http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88770

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: How to get A2 cams to work in an A3 Head

Thank you for explaining. Now the question ive been asking, does vtec still actually engage like normal? or is it always on vtec w/ no crossover?

·
Registered
489 Posts

When vtec is engaged by the solenoid it locks all three rockers together the same way the factory does and you have a regular working vtec.
Never mind you already answered my question, thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts

If the left and middle rockers are always locked together on the high rpm lobe, don't you essentially have the original 2 rocker vtec system with a larger cam? Is it just more cost effective to do it this way or something?

·
Illegal Alien
42 Posts

this is interesting.. what kind of effects on performance is expected for the a3?

·
Registered
959 Posts

He dyno'd at 199whp with open header... so I would say pretty good performance... he got about 30whp out of it from his baseline...

·
Registered
618 Posts

This is a very interesting and informative thread, good job. Now I dont know about you guys, but I cant see the pics.

·
Registered
959 Posts

I would assume so... as long as you can get Kpro...

how much should I spend on used K20a2 rockers and pins, and k20a2 rocker shafts

·
Registered
959 Posts

riptrsxs said:
very cool!!! now i can put my k24A1 heads to good use... i'll try and do the same technique on a K24A1 head and I'll append to this thread as I'm sure a lot of people would be wondering about that too.
Rock on brother... Ill wait patiently.. :rolleyes:

·
Illegal Alien
42 Posts

RSX_import_Ricer said:
He dyno'd at 199whp with open header... so I would say pretty good performance... he got about 30whp out of it from his baseline...
from stock?

·
Premium Member
263 Posts

Hey Riptrsxs keep me posted cause I have a k24a1 in my ep3 now. If it works I'll be right behind you. I already have k100 so I'm half way there.

Just curious about this set up and forced induction. What do you guys think cause I plan on going turbo before the year is out.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts