Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks everyone! @Magicdc2 It will not be that hard of a project now that I posted all of the steps! The hard part was figuring out what grit sand papers to use and all, so now you should attempt it! Thanks for the compliments!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I want to do that with my brand new RRC before installation. Your write up is a bible for me at the moment. I'm about to print that out and stick it on the wall in my "workshop-room". Awesome man. Great help.
Now I can't wait for my RRC being delivered even more. :)

P.S. I just wonder how often you'll have to polish it using i.e. Mothers compound, to keep it mirror-clean. :hmmm: Once a month should be enough I guess.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I want to do that with my brand new RRC before installation. Your write up is a bible for me at the moment. I'm about to print that out and stick it on the wall in my "workshop-room". Awesome man. Great help.
Now I can't wait for my RRC being delivered even more. :)

P.S. I just wonder how often you'll have to polish it using i.e. Mothers compound, to keep it mirror-clean. :hmmm: Once a month should be enough I guess.
Your welcome! This is definitely the first of its kind, I searched everywhere for a write up and couldn't find much at all! But that is what I am wondering, I don't think it should be very often because the tripoli works a little differently that a polishing compound, it cuts deeper. but it is always nice to use the mothers to get the small scratches back out, and you can always go over it again with the tripoli, the polishing part is the easiest part, it would only take about 10 minutes to go back over it lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
STOP IT!
Gorgeous piece of art :)
My RRC just arrived. After bore to 70mm I'm starting Shaving/Polishing process.
It's gonna take some serious time as I'm really busy man :-(
Bought some serious mask too, as you advised, so I'm ready for action.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Very nice write up and finished product!

if you want to cut out the centers like this use a drill bit, cut off wheel and file
That's a nice look Rich. Looks like the AP1 mani I did.

plan on doing my AP1 intake. i started on my rbc on a previous project. would have taken forever and didnt feel like doing it so i painted it black. should have finished it.
They look awesome when done! Well worth it!

Shitty pic with my phone but you get the point.

Reactions: KBuilt

·
Registered
5 Posts
@DC2Bobby: thanks for sharing the material list here. I also checked different forums for something like this and now I am really happy that I finally found what I have been looking for a while right now. I will need a new air compressor but I think I will use air compressor rentals. At the moment I do not want do buy one and so I think renting is the best option.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@DC2Bobby: thanks for sharing the material list here. I also checked different forums for something like this and now I am really happy that I finally found what I have been looking for a while right now. I will need a new air compressor but I think I will use air compressor rentals. At the moment I do not want do buy one and so I think renting is the best option.
Your welcome! And I really didnt use my compressor for this, I actually used a Harbor Freight Electric palm sander, it worked really well, it was the one that has the attachments for the rectangle sand paper and I just stuck a circle disc to it, Having the corners of the square worked really well for me when sanding! And good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just started mine. RRC. I discovered that all the easy access pieces are really quick to sand. I guess all the corners little bays and dimples make that job so time consuming. Anyways. That aluminum is softer than I thought. :up:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Heh. Done my RRC.
It took me about 2,5 moths to finish it.
It was probably about 50h of work all together but the thing is... I'm a busy, family (lol) guy.
As you can see I went a bit further and cut off webbing between runners. The worst part on that one was to dig out some of the alloy between two runners with cross support underneath. Nightmare. That piece of support webbing that I left will be painted black so hopefully wont be visible too much. MAP and Booster ports welded.
Anyway, here's how it looks like now:

And again big thanks to Bobby for directions, tips and most of all inspiration :)
I'm not an overachiever like Bobby so I had to try really hard to make it. Never more that kind of project. :silly:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Heh. Done my RRC.
It was probably about 50h of work all together but the thing is... I'm a busy, family (lol) guy.
As you can see I went a bit further and cut off webbing between runners. The worst part on that one was to dig out some of the alloy between two runners with cross support underneath. Nightmare. That piece of support webbing that I left will be painted black so hopefully wont be visible too much. MAP and Booster ports welded.

And again big thanks to Bobby for directions, tips and most of all inspiration :)
I'm not an overachiever like Bobby so I had to try really hard to make it. Never more that kind of project. :silly:
:wow: :up::up::up:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Heh. Done my RRC.

Thanks, and your welcome :p looks good, I was going to cut out the webbing on mine but decided against it since I am going to tuck stuff under the manifold! But what did you use to polish the flanged area? I have been debating on redoing the flange on mine. It still has not made it on the car yet, been putting countless hours into shaving my engine bay, I believe I have racked up over 150 in it so far.

·
Registered
133 Posts
But what did you use to polish the flanged area? .
Well. Lots of different dremel bits and a sort of special kinda-scotch-brite pads with different grit. Flange isn't as well polished as the rest of the manifold but who cares. Most of it is not visible too much anyway.
The only thing I use for polishing after sanding with 2000 is a magical compound BELGOM Aluminium Polish - french shit. This thing rocks.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts