Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOW TO: Remove Honda Civic Rear Window Glass EJ1

After months of searching on the internet and calling around to glass shops I decided to take out the window on my own. Originally my main concern was breaking the window or ruining the rubber strip around the window. Out of some random Honda god motivation/inspiration I decided to take it out.

While the pictures aren't the best, I tried to outline my process as best as I could, which is more than I got from searching on all the forums, at least when it came to the rear window.

TOOLS:

Blow Dryer
Soapy Solution
Knife
Harbor Freight Windshield Removal Kit or Piano Wire
Flat Head, 10mm, 8mm, Ratchet
Lighter

**TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK, YOU MAY OR MAY NOT BREAK THE GLASS, I DID THIS ON A 1995 HONDA CIVIC COUPE; MAY OR MAY NOT WORk ON OTHER VEHICLES.**

First you must remove all the rear interior panels, speaker deck, brake light, headliner, defroster and these two tabs.

After dropping the back portion of the headliner you'll see these, I took them out for good measure: not sure if it was necessary.

Here is what they look like once removed.

Remove defroster plugs, there are two; once on each side.

Now you must un-clip this trim piece that is under the very bottom of the window. It is held in by push tabs, pull the piece up and be careful to not lose the little tabs; you need them to reinstall this piece.

After you remove this you should be looking at the rubber trim and window glass. What I did was get window cleaner and a soapy solution and spray it directly in all the seams of the window. I wanted to loosen up any dirt and grime, after words I got a blow dryer and heated up the bottom portion.\

Once you feel like the rubber trim is a bit more flexible it is time to pull it off, SLOWLY!!! I pull a bit off towards the back of the car, NOT UP!!! Pulling straight up may crack the corner of the window, thus ruining the whole process of trying to save your WINDOW!!!

Pull slowly and use the soapy solution and heat when necessary, do this around the whole window, take your time!

After you pull the trim off the entire window it should look like this, I also taped the corners and labeled for future installation.

Now that the trim is off, it's time to use your Harbor Freight Window Remover Kit (Fancy Piano Wire) to cut through the adhesive that is holding the glass in place. First you must poke a hole through the adhesive and run the wire through, I poked my hole in the bottom because I had more room. You can use a knife and heat up the tip to pierce through the rubber quicker.

Started with this but ended up using a knife.

Here is my Harbor Freight Kit ($18)

Poke the wire through

Now get a friend and go in a sawing motion, cutting around the window.

After you've made your way around you should have this!

and this!

And one of these!! :coleman:

Hope this helps, any questions don't hesitate to ask!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts