Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal is 400Hp. Looks like I'll be going Turbo for the build, and I need to know how to tell what Cams to get.
How do I know what "Stage" gives how much HP?
Does brand matter?
Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
You don’t need any stage aftermarket cam set to hit 400 hp. You can go into the forced induction forum, look at threads and dyno sheets, and see time and time again that OEM cams make power on boost (turbo or supercharger) well beyond 400 hp. That’s for a K20 or K24

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don’t need any stage aftermarket cam set to hit 400 hp. You can go into the forced induction forum, look at threads and dyno sheets, and see time and time again that OEM cams make power on boost (turbo or supercharger) well beyond 400 hp. That’s for a K20 or K24
Sweet!
I was looking at having the internals on the cyl head replaced. I'm up in the air about doing a Short Block with Turbo internals, and just doing a full new build all the way around.
I'll go start reading the forced induction forums and start poking around.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is the motor that you have in pieces or is it a complete long block? Is there something going on with the head or you just want to upgrade components in there?

Some people simply boost stock long blocks while they have a spare long block assembled. There are multiple factors that determine the life of a stock long block in boost so no one can accurately predict how long they will last. Experience tells me that building a motor and then putting it into a car can take a long time (especially if it was not a running car to begin with) or changes in life happen/the owner loses interest/runs out of money. The decision is ultimately yours.

Only you know what your end game is. If you have a goal, a timeline to achieve the goal, the means/resources to follow through with your goal, and it fits within the budget you set for it, you should be alright.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the motor that you have in pieces or is it a complete long block? Is there something going on with the head or you just want to upgrade components in there?

Some people simply boost stock long blocks while they have a spare long block assembled. There are multiple factors that determine the life of a stock long block in boost so no one can accurately predict how long they will last. Experience tells me that building a motor and then putting it into a car can take a long time (especially if it was not a running car to begin with) or changes in life happen/the owner loses interest/runs out of money. The decision is ultimately yours.

Only you know what your end game is. If you have a goal, a timeline to achieve the goal, the means/resources to follow through with your goal, and it fits within the budget you set for it, you should be alright.
Right now, the motor in the car is whole and functional. It's issue is it's lost compression in all cyl. which is why I was just going to swap in a new Short Block with the Turbo level internals. I want to be able to hammer on it from time to time and not have it explode, and I want it to last a good long time without having to do anything else to it once that's done.
I was formerly under the impression that I had to, or at least should upgrade the cams to give the engine more power, not knowing that I didn't need to do that if I went Turbo with it.
I don't have a spare.
The budget and Timeline are Flexible, yet I'd like to get this done before Fall, or at least the end of the year. We're talking everything from the new engine build to interior, and body/paint job. Essentially a new car?
My lady is giving me some push back because her argument is that we could spend 10k on a down payment for a new car that would be reliable, and still keep the RSX to beef up over time.
I've been trying to tell her that once the car is refreshed with a 400Hp Turbo motor in it, she'll love driving it... again. We'll have something to be proud of when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to rule out the easy things, it has no compression, have you checked timing and valve clearances?

·
Registered
363 Posts
stock K20a2 cams and stock bottom end is all you need for a 400HP turbo build. If you have it apart anyhow, increase the ring gaps a tad as an option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a rare opportunity to upgrade my cam (im in highschool) and im looking to build for circuit racing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
if you are cash strapped and in high school and you want to get into circuit racing, more power is the last thing you need TBH.
Safety gear first, power last. Helmet, gloves, HANS or Simpson hybrid, 6pt harness and proper seats to go with the harness are the first thing you should do. Proper seating also makes track driving so much more enjoyable as you don't have to hold yourself in the seat on the steering wheels or foot well with the legs while braking or in turns. You also feel the car much better doing its thing while being strapped into the seat.
Then consider oil cooling, brakes and brake cooling and an oil baffle in the sump. Otherwise your K20 won't last long on track.

Cams and power adders: last.

Older ( and cheap)Civics make very decent track cars, B, D or K-series does not matter much to start with.
They are even better, if you trailer them to the track and can run a track focused suspension set-up.

Learn to drive first. You'll find good drivers on track driving circles around even competent drivers with 100HP more under the hood.
There is a saying: a good driver has a 100 extra horses in their foot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts