Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i see lots of ppl running stock bottom end with upgraded valvetrain/cams, and such. However, i see lots of ppl with cams and such make power up to 8400-8600rpm? Can the stock rods take that? are ppl getting arp rod bolts? or can these stock rods really take those rpms?

i was just thinking about that when i was driving home today :)
was just curious of what ppls thoughts were on the matter

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks,
just in the back of my mind, i'm thinking wow 8600rpm, is my engine suppose to be doing this? should i have went with aftermarket rods?

but thanks guys for sharing your exerience. It just doesn't feel natural to have a oem bottom end go 8600rpm :)
i suppose, ap1 s2000's go up to 9000 i guess.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Aftermarket rods and pistons with a good oil pump like the erl s2000 and a good head package ur safe to a little over 10000rpm lol so yea k series is awesome for sure

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aftermarket rods and pistons with a good oil pump like the erl s2000 and a good head package ur safe to a little over 10000rpm lol so yea k series is awesome for sure
of course those aftermarket pieces would be all nice if budget wasn't an issue :)
i'm just putting in some drop in cams into a relatively stock motor and a better intake manifold. I was just curious if rods is something i should consider or even arp rod bolts. It would seem the oem pieces are quite good :)
i'm stoked on oem quality :up:

·
Registered
980 Posts
of course those aftermarket pieces would be all nice if budget wasn't an issue :)
i'm just putting in some drop in cams into a relatively stock motor and a better intake manifold. I was just curious if rods is something i should consider or even arp rod bolts. It would seem the oem pieces are quite good :)
i'm stoked on oem quality :up:
you will be fine with that setup with drop in cams cams to 8600 i offer online tuning when your ready have tons of vouches all positive feedback check the ecu tuning threads

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks man :)
damn, gotta love oem:heart:

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Stock PRB rods are good to 9000rpm. I would get new rod bolts as they are pretty cheap to replace. ARP 2000 rod bolts are not really much of an upgrade from stock IMO. If you want an upgraded rod bolt, ARP custom age 625, the crower big boy rod bolts, or cunningham rod bolts would fit the bill. However, if you're really going to rev, aftermarket rods are what you want. Not just any aftermarket rod though. The cheaper aftermarket rods aren't really that much better than OEM. For a true upgrade to OEM rods, you will be spending 600+ for Cunningham, Crower (not chinese made Brian crower), or some other reputable US manufactured brand. You really have to watch it b/c a lot of big name rod companies are now getting their rods made overseas.

I personally went with Cunningham rods after realizing that eagle rods w/ ARP 2000 rod bolts weren't up to the task of 10,000rpm. I really don't think the Eagle rods bought me much more reliability than OEM rods.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this is awesome info guys
thanks for sharing and enlightening us with your knowledge and experiences.
Helps us all make smarter decisions with our builds.:up:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts