Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I am getting Megan Racing Stainless Steel Headers for Christmas from my dad and I am also going to order fiberglass wrap myself to put on before I install them. How much do I need? I found an ebay dealer who sells 1/8"x2"x50' rolls. Will this be enough? I am primarily concerned with complete and even coverage of the headers and if i have any left over I'll wrap my radiator hose or something.

I am appealing to anyone who has already wrapped their headers for their experience with it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have run header wrap on stainless headers on and off for over 10 years and never had an issue. There are many wive's tales out there. I'd like to see a photo of a header, even a mild steel one, that fell apart due to heat wrap.

Oh, to answer the question, about 50' of the 1" wide stuff should do it.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I have run header wrap on stainless headers on and off for over 10 years and never had an issue. There are many wive's tales out there. I'd like to see a photo of a header, even a mild steel one, that fell apart due to heat wrap.

Oh, to answer the question, about 50' of the 1" wide stuff should do it.
Anyone in the south that has had it will contest.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
LOL: Glad I don't have a mild steel header, a V8, or live on the West Coast. I've wrapped every header I've ever owned and have yet to experience one falling apart.
A V8 sees the same operating temps as a Honda 4 cylinder.
Moisture is everywhere, I am sure people in the north east get fog (and snow)
And, those bs coatings on the cheap mild steel headers that are sold by the bottom feeders crack when subjected to something that conducts heat for long periods of time, exposing the mild steel beneath.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
LOL: Glad I don't have a mild steel header, a V8, or live on the West Coast. I've wrapped every header I've ever owned and have yet to experience one falling apart.
Glad you have an open mind. That is a valued characteristic of people yearning to learn. I learn stuff everyday, if I didn't I would get bored and quit this silly car stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK....... so

I have a V2 intake that I would like to keep and with the new headers I'd also like to try and reduce the under-hood temperatures.

So, how about powdercoating them and then wrapping them? I would do the swain thing but shipping both ways is just about half the price of the service itself. I can get powder coating for the price of the powder. That will prevent any corrosion so the headers can then be wrapped? And yes, corrosion is a problem. I live within a stones throw of a salt river in the north east. There was ice on the roads last night. and the summers are humid and hot.

What are my other options?

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
1. Depends on how well you wrap it
2. Depends on where you live... Like if they salt the roads in the winter.
3. Stainless shouldn't corrode, but mild will gradually (see #1)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
This is my old BCRH at the top of the photo...

It was wrapped for about a year with no ill effects. Now, the BCRH is made of about the cheapest and thinnest stainless tubing (no clue what alloy they use) I have ever seen and the fact that it is still in decent shape tells me that wrapping did not adversely affect the unit. The issue that I have is blanket statements like, "Wrapping will cause your header to rust", or that type of thing: It simply is not true.

The header gets so hot that it evaporates away any moisture that the wrap might be holding almost immediately. If anything, the wrap could protect a mild steel header from salt spray, etc. Now, I suppose it is possible that a header with really bad welds or jigging could see enough retained heat to prematurely fatigue that area and cause it to crack, but there is no way a decent header that is made these days would be like that.

Just to recap:

1.) I have been heat-wrapping headers for 10+ years and never seen any cases of "cracking", "rusting", etc.

2.) The heat wrap does degrade over time and I make a point to replace it every year or so.

3.) Heat wrap does the best job of reducing underhood temps of anything I have tried, including ceramic coating on the headers.

I am not telling anyone what they should or should not so: That is your decision, not mine. I am just saying that there are a lot of urban myths out there and lots of people who may not be necessarily be speaking from firsthand experience. I can only speak from my own experiences and can say with 100% certainty that I have zero hesitations about wrapping any header I own, including the very pricey custom one that is also in the photo. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly, wrap is not good for a daily driver. Moisture will stick to the wrap, and combined with heat, it will corrode the header.
Your best bet is to get the header coated with something like white lightening from swaintech.
http://www.swaintech.com/
http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969
I called them and the price isn't bad. How durable is this stuff? Would wrapping after getting coated cause any abrasion?

->I know that's probably overkill but I'm a perfectionist. :D

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I called them and the price isn't bad. How durable is this stuff? Would wrapping after getting coated cause any abrasion?

->I know that's probably overkill but I'm a perfectionist. :D
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with either. If it was a custom header and you were looking to get the most out of it I would coat it. Other than that I would just leave it be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts