Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Wiring is definitely one of my things I'm pretty good with. Despite that, I still have a pretty strong thirst for improvement as far as electrical understanding and wiring technique is concerned.

Aside from that, my friend that gave me the the whole swap (including the donor harnesses the wiring came from) is in the business of building Mil-Spec 4 wheeler harnesses from scratch for racing purposes. He would give me a lot of crap if I didn't do the wiring top notch. He has been asking me to let him make copies of all my wiring harnesses for the car out of his Raychem supplies, but I won't let him do it until I've designed known good, properly working harnesses that are fine live on the car.

This time last year, I had just finished a custom engine harness for the old car. He was going to make me a Mil-Spec copy of that, but then the wreck happened. At that point, the harness had been in the car working fine for 4 months, plenty of time to prove itself.

If anyone is interested in my last wiring project: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7875297-1st-project-thread-since-2005-Mil-spec-engine-harness-2Y-Trans-INA-Oil-Pan-Etc

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just clicked on your link and I must say that was an insane harness you built there. Just like you stated, it's highly impractical but it's still awesome.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Obviously I'd be here and everywhere else bragging if this thing was up and running great and slaying lap times, so we know that isn't how this has transpired thus far and that it's long overdue for an update. A lot has happened in 2 years, some of it with this car.

You know how life happens, and I've also had some of that interfere with this project more recently. I had a couple other Jettas come my way in 2018 which have consumed a lot of resources, and I've also recently finished a long diagnostic debacle with my 7 year old gaming computer that resulted in two PCs that excel at their intended purposes.

So here is the last year and a half with this car:

Last I was commenting was that I needed to find a plasma cutter that featured a continuous pilot arc and could sever 3/8" on 110v. It was a lot of research and a couple returned units, but but I found that the Mac Tools PCA48 is up to the task. The unit is made by Nu-Tec Systems and is also sold by Matco Tools and possibly other brands. Nu-Tec only sells it's products to other tools companies to be re-branded. It was $1,800 and the small beast is worth every bit of it. My friend that runs a shop bought one from his Mac dealer and is as happy with it as I am. He does a lot of rusty frame repair on old F350/3500 work trucks.

Anyway, I actually came to the point of adding metal to the car instead of just cutting things away. This is the beginning of boxing in the frame notch for the transmission.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/fopeano/K20%20Swap/DSCF1319.jpg/[img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/fopeano/K20%20Swap/DSCF1320.jpg

Not much progress on the body, I know, but I only got the plasma cutter in 09/2018 and those pics are from 10/2018. I'm hoping to spend some time to get the engine properly hung in early spring and go from there. With the plasma cutter sorted out, I can finally make my engine/pedal/cable/etc brackets reasonably well.

I also have the engine and charge harnesses as finished as they can be before being fitted to the car. They just sit laid out of the floor enjoying the same climate-controlled environment that I do, waiting for their time.

I still have to specifically determine which pins on the VW fuse panel connectors will feed which power and ground circuits on the Honda harness, but I have a rough idea and plenty of time to work it out.

I made myself a memo on the wall to remind me of the power/ground busses present in the VW panel/wiring diagrams, and a bench testing rig consisting of the dry cell battery out of my wrecked Jetta and a trickle charger. The fuse panel connects to power and ground equally through large red and brown wires. Unlike modern cars, but I like it because the fuse panel can power anything internally without relying on the component having a body ground.

The other thing that I did during last winter was make the instrument cluster. The stock speedo and tach maxed out at 120 mph and 7000 rpm, obviously not good enough for a K20A2. The VW speedo also runs off a cable from the transmission, so that is obviously not worth trying to adapt to the Honda.

I bought custom gauges from a company called Speedhut, a GPS speedo and a tach. The Speedo has a an infinitely programmable fuel gauge on it, and a small LCD display that can display any kind of info a typical GPS receiver can display. The 10k tach is programmable as well between .5 and 6 pulses per rev. They also made them both custom to mimic the factory guages and were available in a size that (almost) fit the stock VW instrument cluster.

The other really cool thing is that I they offer customization too. I got them with the same green backlighting as stock, and mimic the stock gauge markings but with the actual font being of Porsche 996 911 gauges.

The stock VW has a very good dynamic oil pressure and coolant level warning system that I want to retain, but it has a control unit and printed circuit foil that needed modification to fit because of the bulkier Speedhut gauges.

A little clarification here, the circuit foil was meant to connect to the pins on the oil/coolant control unit with a connector that faces forward in the way on the Speedhut gauge, so I had to remove the connector block and bend the terminals flat so I could connect jumper wires that allow the control unit to be mounted outside the dimensions of the stock cluster. I found a connector in my scrap Acura harnesses that had female pins that fit the control unit, and a breadbox hobby kit had male pins that were the same size as the control unit.

That's about it for now, it will come along as it goes. I'm also set to receive in the spring a running/driving 1974 Porsche 914 that was restored a while back but needs TLC all over again and will obviously be another project. This K20 project will still happen, although I have to admit that I am a lazy man.

My guy LotusElise, that wiring harness project was in the red wrecked car from the start of this thread. It made it another 2 months before the accident, and has been in a box here at home ever since.

As far as the other Jettas I've been dealing with in the last year, first was the 2000 stick shift VR6 that I fixed up and is in storage for winter:

Then was the 1986 Jetta Coupe with a modded 16v swap that came along in the fall... A car that was swapped and built a long time ago and has since been driven into the ground:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9256521-I-bought-a-very-rough-1986-16v-coupe-and-the-swap-seems-too-perfect

Getting ready to put this car back together in the next few weeks and see how it does. Just ball-honed the block tonight and I'm ready to start putting the engine back together in my spare time. I'll use some of my vacation time so I can get paid to spend a week to put the car back together and get it driving solid again.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts