Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

Registered
96 civic HX K24a
I find myself in 4th and 5th on the street quite often with my stock 4.3 馃槀 I鈥檝e been thinking about going to 4.7 FD but I like where my rpm are at on the freeway in 6th. Not too high and noisy but still in the sweet spot where I can punch it and get going without changing gear.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I find myself in 4th and 5th on the street quite often with my stock 4.3 馃槀 I鈥檝e been thinking about going to 4.7 FD but I like where my rpm are at on the freeway in 6th. Not too high and noisy but still in the sweet spot where I can punch it and get going without changing gear.
lugging and engine... being in too high of a gear, will cause premature wear on the main bearings. I will never be accused of lugging an engine

Reactions: KBuilt

Registered
96 civic HX K24a
lugging and engine... being in too high of a gear, will cause premature wear on the main bearings. I will never be accused of lugging an engine
For normal driving I keep it above 2k rpm whenever possible 馃憤 but mine is definitely a 鈥淒D鈥 still and made for street driving whenever. Sounds like your engine lives on the high cam 馃槀

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
For normal driving I keep it above 2k rpm whenever possible 馃憤 but mine is definitely a 鈥淒D鈥 still and made for street driving whenever. Sounds like your engine lives on the high cam 馃槀
sure for the race car... but even our little Honda Kit with the 1.5L joke of a motor... we dont try to lug the motor. hell that has so little power it wont let you lug that motor.

Reactions: KBuilt

Premium Member
sure for the race car... but even our little Honda Kit with the 1.5L joke of a motor... we dont try to lug the motor. hell that has so little power it wont let you lug that motor.
Reminds me of driving the insight without the ima. Impossible to lug an engine that might be putting 50hp to the ground. I'm always winding that thing out. Uphill? Highest gear possible is 3rd if you actually want to maintain speed at 65

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Working from home has some benefits... sometimes I get enough free time to take a lunch... and by take a lunch, i mean actually work on the car a bit.
Motor vehicle Fixture Bumper Gas Gadget

the more carbon the better...

Last night my buddy Jason came over and we planned out the two pole kill switch install. once i'm 100% sure it works with this car, i'll post the wiring map.

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
the more carbon the better...Last night my buddy Jason came over and we planned out the two pole kill switch install. once i'm 100% sure it works with this car, i'll post the wiring map.
Carbon fibre everywhere :D! Yeah, that would be great stuff for the race guys for any DIY kill switch approaches.

Registered
96 civic HX K24a
Working from home has some benefits... sometimes I get enough free time to take a lunch... and by take a lunch, i mean actually work on the car a bit.
View attachment 107183

the more carbon the better...

Last night my buddy Jason came over and we planned out the two pole kill switch install. once i'm 100% sure it works with this car, i'll post the wiring map.
Looks great 馃憤

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I'm in full attack mode... i think there is 58 days until my first event... it feels like its an eternity but my experience says it is not. Speaking of experience, i learned that i need defrost with the last car... so this weekends project is to finish up the under dash (minus wiring the gauges and the heater core... i need to figure out what i need vs. what i have to do it safely).

I gutted the dash, except i left the center dash defrost "manifold".
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

A 4 inch duct work will fit in it.
Cookware and bakeware Kitchen utensil Tableware Gas Cooking

I need to make an adaptor for the heater core... since it comes with 2x2.5 inch duct mounts... I had some left over drier hose and one 4 inch adaptor from our clothes drier install... it happened to work out.
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Rim

Gas Machine Auto part Metal Engineering

One of the names of the game is efficiency when you go to a smaller heater core... NO LEAKS.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design

It took me some time to make this mount... i wanted to use as many existing mounting points as possible... i did have to drill one hole for a rivnut. sorry none of this is done out of carbon, but i dont make my own carbon parts lol.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Here are some views of everything hooked up. I did order 4 rubber isolators because the mount is so rigid and i dont want to chassis vibration to harm this little heater core.
Electrical wiring Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

The interior is 98% done....
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Window Automotive design

I need to connect the power wire to the battery, build a wiring harness for the gauges, install the steering wheel, wire the heater core and the Garmin Catalyst... and plumb the fire bottle. the fire bottle will be last because i really dont want to work around the aluminum piping and pull a joint apart.

I also need a warm day so I can finish the lexan (i need to paint the trim).

stay tuned... this weekend coming up will be "front splitter" development unless the last of my motor parts comes in! Who doesnt want motor or splitter pics?!?!?!

Reactions: Them Witches

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
it feels like its an eternity but my experience says it is not
Wow, 56 days sounds like an eye blink to me regarding project progress, except you mean project work days. I think only in Saturdays, as I have 3 jobs and the Saturday is only for engine stuff.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
good stuff.
yeah... this is the non glamourous race car stuff. but details (and working off of lessons learned) are important in the long run. I'm striving to have a high quality build... higher quality is generally the most reliable. I also want to think things out, even in the process of the build,
Wow, 56 days sounds like an eye blink to me regarding project progress, except you mean project work days. I think only in Saturdays, as I have 3 jobs and the Saturday is only for engine stuff.
March 18th is test day... 19/20th are race days.

Yes I generally only work on the car on Saturdays and Sundays... but I only have one job (sometimes a LONG commute) and I spend the time organizing and planning out how to do it efficiently.

Big things to do:
1. Get the transmission built (still waiting on the FD and my DC5R gears).. turn around time is fast. (couple hours of driving)
2. Valve Clearance/Oil Pump/Pan swap... not hard things to do, but it can take some time to get things "right" (about half a day)
3. Install engine/trans (probably a whole day for me)
4. Build splitter mounts... probably my longest project since I really need to engineer it "just right" ... strong enough to work, not strong enough to bend the front end if i go off. (probably a whole day)
5. Wire the gauges, r*^n light, plumb the fire suppression, mount the tow hooks, clean the car, button up the plastics under the car, make the restrictor plates, etc. (probably a whole day of work)
6. Install windshield and lexan (about 2 hours max)
7. Dyno the car (all day)

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
Yes I generally only work on the car on Saturdays and Sundays...
I am counting 6 weekends out of your list, around 11 days full time. In my count approach an extended duration, depended on risk of fail and repair or delivery time, is added. So only 2 weekends left for coping other unseen stuff. Sounds still pretty tight for me, but manageable, when things run smooth. I wish you best of success and luck for the prepare of the dyno day.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I am counting 6 weekends out of your list, around 11 days full time. In my count approach an extended duration, depended on risk of fail and repair or delivery time, is added. So only 2 weekends left for coping other unseen stuff. Sounds still pretty tight for me, but manageable, when things run smooth. I wish you best of success and luck for the prepare of the dyno day.
my chassis guy is coming by this weekend... i think we can actually get the car down to only needing to deal with the engine and trans in one day. he's a whiz with everything but his passion is chassis setup and development.

most supplies are easy to get... its just the big things... I sent my gears off for cryo treatment, i am waiting on my FD, timing chain, etc.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
It is always a good thing if a buddy with two helpful hands can chime in to accelerate the progress.

Why this?
taking ques from the Honda Performance Development team... they offer hardened gears for the World Challenge and factory supported drivers (not offered to the public). the 05-06 DC5R gear set is hard to come by, so i'd like to have it last for a while. K series road race cars tend to have random transmission issues.

next off season the plan is to send the whole trans out for cryo and micro polishing. its just one step to trying to bullet proof the transmission as a whole.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts