Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
281 - 300 of 304 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,098 Posts
Oh man what a tuff break brother... I used finished inspecting my shift forks and they were fine. After looking at them for awhile I could see where these things get thin. I am sorry to hear about this, I know dumping money into the car is not fun like driving and racing it. You need more sponsorships under your belt, you deserve it.

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
it looks like i'm going to have to use my used forks and wait on new ones... if i dont i'll likely miss a valuable testing/race weekend. My big push will be for 2023, especially if i can get the car dialed in a little more.

right now i'm working logistics to try to get my regions fastest two drivers to the national championships... its a big challenge... we have to find two entries since the even is sold out lol

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
right now i'm working logistics to try to get my regions fastest two drivers to the national championships...
Exciting stuff. You trailor them or organize a trailor or just to appeal them they get their ass... there right to the Nationals?

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Exciting stuff. You trailor them or organize a trailor or just to appeal them they get their ass... there right to the Nationals?
my car isnt sorted out and i'm not comfortable enough yet to go to nationals... this trip will cost a minimum $8000 in just travel and entry fees. next year, assuming its closer, i'm going.

i'm just trying to help the other guys source funding and maybe find an entry.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
this trip will cost a minimum $8000 in just travel and entry fees. next year, assuming its closer, i'm going.
Wise decision, I pull my hat off for you.

i'm just trying to help the other guys source funding and maybe find an entry.
That's very kind of you. And maybe helpfully finding yourself a possible fund source for next year?

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
My motivations are different than people might think. I'm fast, they are faster (not by much these days)... They can be marketed purely on speed and wins (they have no presence on the forums and very limited social media).

Thats not how i market myself and it wont be how i market myself after my first win. I'm a mix of old school (forums) and new school (IG/FB) digital... As you know i write things here for the road race group... but i also have a +60k view brake upgrade sticky on Honda Tech. I have a modest following on IG and FB... i dont really track it but its not enough for real sponsorship from big companies... but I help enough on the forums and have enough technical knowledge to share that i can get some small-ish sponsorship from small to medium sized companies (IPG and AutoFair Honda) in the space.

These two guys deserve a shot at winning (again) and I feel they dont market themselves well... so i'm trying to help.

Next year, we can all do it together or they can do it on their own... Im' going to try to go and be self funded... its just how i do things. Without some major advances (i'm trying i swear) i niche appeal doesnt warrant any company giving me any money... but if i get some wins, have some more competitive races (i've put on some shows this year)... it might be possible.

Reactions: Them Witches

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
If you have a race program... it cant be solely focused on the car.... you have to focus on the driver also. As I get older I know heat bothers me more and more... So I have to find a way to get into the heat and work my body and mind an test myself.

My wife drags me to the woods, with 90% humidity and Virginia heat... to do a 5 mile climb, with a steep 1 mile decent into a 1.5 mile steep climb... and then a steady 2.5 mile decent back to the car.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Mountain Leaf

My main distraction from the uphill sections is talking about the car, the race program, and planning with my wife... So its exercise, prepping my body for August racing in Virginia, and planning for work on the car. Its much more beneficial than you think.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Its much more beneficial than you think.
Very good approach to keep you fit in manifold: relationship, race organization, race body prep and finding room to flex brain and body. We were yesterday out with the horse. We do a 2 hours round, me with the hiking sticks, she riding the horse. We integrate 5-7 uphill sprints, yesterday I won 4:1 against horse and wife. May strategy to make it tired is already optimized, but the horse had a hard training day yesterday. I love these hikings with horse and wife, always a body and brain inspiring thing. I just can applaud to your approach.

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Very good approach to keep you fit in manifold: relationship, race organization, race body prep and finding room to flex brain and body. We were yesterday out with the horse. We do a 2 hours round, me with the hiking sticks, she riding the horse. We integrate 5-7 uphill sprints, yesterday I won 4:1 against horse and wife. May strategy to make it tired is already optimized, but the horse had a hard training day yesterday. I love these hikings with horse and wife, always a body and brain inspiring thing. I just can applaud to your approach.
I'll never beat a horse lol...

I started measuring and dealing with heat a race early in my rookie year... VIR does a virtual pace car (because if the size of the track and finding the lead car could take a while... limiting the response time for emergency personnel)... well you have to drive around at 35mph. In my old car, at speed, the heat didnt bother me... but at 35mph it was a slow rolling oven.

when we are out on the mountain and training (and having fun) I concentrate on body/air temperature, heart rate, oxygen saturation and mental acuity. I track everything but mental acuity on my watch... my wife knows when i have a mental pause vs. a cardio issue (breathing too hard to talk)... if i have a mental pause (very rare and usually very deep into a very hard climb) she says something and then i have to record everything off my watch. Its safer to find my breaking point while hiking instead of +130mph.

I cannot track mental acuity in the race car, but i can track in car temp, body temp, etc... but i have some tables for temperature and know how hot the car is, how hot i am, etc. because i wear my watch. I just need to make sure that i dont get near the thresholds in the car without mitigating it with the cool suit and/or water, ice packs, etc.

I know i have been out there and basically given up because i cant handle it in the car. Its actually motivation for some of the car preparations i made... sealing the trans tunnel and firewall are key to keep heat out of the car. I didnt do a dark interior because it keeps the heat in... heat management isnt just for your intake/manifold... its for the driver too.

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Do you have a Cool shirt? It's the only way I can do 2-hour stints in the Southeast.
i absolutely do... but my system runs a 13qt cooler and it kind of lasts 45 minutes (sunday race length)... also i have to turn it on and off because it will freeze me. Usually i need it on the slow caution laps and i cool off half way down a straight away. I also want to be good to go if it ever fails on me... its nice to have but i dont want to depend on it.

I should to frozen bottles and not ice to increase efficiency... but open trailer life doesnt give me a lot of infrastructure to keep frozen bottles for a weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
I'm trying to avoid testing too much in one weekend and make sure i'm getting the best driving in to collect the best data... so I am thankful of the Toyo RR 245/50/17 backorder... because i'm tempted... very tempted to add tire size testing to this next event.

In the mean time... i need to find the short that keeps popping the fuse that cuts my timing. lets just say... i didnt plan as well as i thought i did with the dash install... definitely some changes to be made this winter with this dash. My buddy is coming over this week to help me with this... dont let colorblind people wildly wire their own cars... its not advisable.

1. dont put your fire bottle pulls in the dash... if you do, you have to disconnect them completely to remove the dash. that will slow you down for track side service.
2. keep your ducting to a minimum... my ducting is twice as large as it needs to be and roughly 1 inch too long... which makes it hard to get out of the car.
3. Bind and label every wire... hell i think making my own connector setups would be better. my defrost setup is not on a QD, everything else was. dumb mistake.
Hood Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

SO... the next boring task was to put the motor and trans back in. we did find out that the main seal on the trans was installed backwards by the previous owner, which was causing the leak... so that all got sorted out with the rest of the transmission work. normally i would prefer a hand with this, but time is running out and i need to maximize every day i have to myself. I took my time, laid things out, and about 3 hours later it was completely in and full of fluids.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

its actually all ready to go outside of the front bumper and the dash work... i'm having a new one painted and i should get it back this week. After the dash is reassembled i'll test fire the car and bleed the coolant system... set it on the ground and wait for the next 10 days before we head south the Virginia International Raceway.

the data says i need to just carry more speed... lines are good, i'm just being slow. thats probably because the only data in this car was the second time i drove it... and its a pain to get used to the 6 speed transmission. The progress i made my second time at Summit Point should be repeated at VIR... we can always hope. The event will be much hotter (+10*)... so "gaining" time will be hard... getting back to where i was should be good enough.

this might be my last race for the year... i'm supposed to be in a wedding for the last race weekend but i might show up and race just sunday that weekend. I'm currently 4th in the points for the year and i'd like to get a little more out of the car. the only hold up might be tires... i'm running dangerously low on tires and I need a certain level of old tires (but in good shape) to run while i break in the new tires for 2023... we shall see if i can get my hands on a set of used 235/40/17s to run and do my half race weekend and my last test weekend of the year in November.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
the data says i need to just carry more speed... lines are good, i'm just being slow.
Do you mean to stay longer on speed and brake later or do you mean to gain more speed? That carry more speed phrase pictures me more the first case, then the 2nd...non-native speaker issue, maybe to interpret phrases into pictures to understand those.

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Do you mean to stay longer on speed and brake later or do you mean to gain more speed? That carry more speed phrase pictures me more the first case, then the 2nd...non-native speaker issue, maybe to interpret phrases into pictures to understand those.
Product Map Organism Font Slope

Both aspects of braking i need to incorporate in different areas of the track. Virginia International Raceway is very fast but secretly very technical.

For this example... lets say you start braking with "brake on" and you are done braking with "brake off"... i need to move my brake on earlier in some corners and also let go over my brake off earlier in other corners (sometimes the same corner!)

In turn 1 braking... you "cannot" brake between the 6-4 marker IF you are on the edge (without a lot of aero). Very fast cars you will see start to brake right before the 6 marker and every one else will brake at the 4 or blew... with some intermediate cars coasting to the 4 and start braking. This brake zone is very tricky because at the 6 marker you are pointed down hill just after a "crest" (not much of one, but it will cause wheel lock up)... and it doesnt go uphill until the 3 marker.

TURN 1 itself is off camber and tricky... you cannot power down immediately BUT you can coast more speed in than you think and accelerate after the apex. I believe my brake on is correct but my brake off (and the associated speed you get when releasing earlier) is what i need here.... data says this is worth .5 seconds per lap

Turn 3 (also called NASCAR turn) braking is done while "exiting" 2 and is very fast and the car is going in many different directions... here I also need to brake off earlier to enter with a slight more speed... the 2-3mph you can carry in is worth about .2 second because it leads on to a mini straight and i should be topping 4th gear right before braking for T4... i know i did it wrong when i dont hear the rev limiter.

Turn 11/12 is called Oak Tree (the tree is no longer there)... but entering this corner is Turn 10 (south bend) which i do very well... i exit at 104mph in 5th gear and accelerate down hill toward T11/12. This turn(s) is very difficult because to do it correctly you need to not fully brake, but partially brake, "trail braking" through 11 and slowing down just enough to make T12. Its very important because this set of turns opens up to the longest actual straight away on the track... with stop speeds over 133mph... my estimate is i can reacy 137mph if i do this well AND make up 1.5 seconds total if i nail this corner set.

Turn 16/17... entering Hog Pen... I have A LOT of good data here. i made up a lot of time in this corner when the car went down on power due to the fuse issue... this corner set leads onto the front straight and again, its important to nail it... the trick is i cannot lift or brake for T16, but go flat through T16, straighten the wheel, brake fast, and turn for T17 (which is downhill and compresses the suspension and provides a lot more grip than you expect) ...without timing in the car i was able to hit 125.5mph on the front straight because i went through hog pen so well... my only good lap i had for data shows i can hit 127.9mph on the front straight (with a bad turn i hog pen)... so this could also be worth another 1 second.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,098 Posts
My main distraction from the uphill sections is talking about the car, the race program, and planning with my wife... So its exercise, prepping my body for August racing in Virginia, and planning for work on the car. Its much more beneficial than you think.
You guys near McCaffe's Knob? It is in Blacksburg, VA

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
You guys near McCaffe's Knob? It is in Blacksburg, VA
I’m about two hours north of there … we did the triple crown loop there last year … I almost died. Also when we went there were a ton of bugs… so be prepared when you get to the top

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Both aspects of braking i need to incorporate in different areas of the track. Virginia International Raceway is very fast but secretly very technical.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, this track looks indeed like it has some nice challenges, especially at bends 1, 2, 3 and 12 from the 2D bird perspective you have posted above. A 3rd dimension may would add some further challenges, but those I can't see yet.

Turn 1 is really special, especially for a FWD car with under-steering under some load. These are challenges where the engine setup can really help to push the driver, a good load control - same as under-powered engine - does help here much to get out as fast as possible. Same for the get into the bend, a good feeling for the chassis capability safes a lot of time getting into it by as late and hard braking as possible. ABS will be the king here, especially when it is wet. Does it even rain over there? In dry conditions tires will get hot by the intense braking and need a good line for the "cool down" through the bend. I guess there will be a lot of dirt in that corner, really challenging when overtaking there, because of bend 2. This will kill the overtake if the opponent find a inner route when having good traction, RWD will/may have an advantage there to get out the situation earlier. Anyway the overtook opponent comes in with less speed and will accelerate more at the inner if he fought hard enough to speed out the overtaker, which will send that guy way out into a wider radius and give some chance to take advantage of the situation. That bend has huge potential for strategic driving.

Bend 3 seems to be a chassis weight and suspension challenger, good turn in and weight distribution can help there to get this right. Unbalanced cars will go way bigger radius as which opens doors for good balanced cars with some FWD power advantage (flywheel vs wheel).

Bend 12 seems to be the same, but I guess more on the brake compared to #3, which is more on the load pedal. Difficult to find the right mix of brake gradient, corner speed on those 2 mains sections and the best line for those two...and so on. I am not a driver, I am more in the engine topic, but need to know what drivers need. So I am always curious about this. Thanks for sharing your measurements and experiences on VIR, that's amazing!

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,098 Posts
I’m about two hours north of there … we did the triple crown loop there last year … I almost died. Also when we went there were a ton of bugs… so be prepared when you get to the top
I have slept on Summit there. Not supposed to, I love to do it. Have you been to "Hell's Kitchen" up there right off the AT trail?

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Thanks for your reply. Yes, this track looks indeed like it has some nice challenges, especially at bends 1, 2, 3 and 12 from the 2D bird perspective you have posted above. A 3rd dimension may would add some further challenges, but those I can't see yet.

Turn 1 is really special, especially for a FWD car with under-steering under some load. These are challenges where the engine setup can really help to push the driver, a good load control - same as under-powered engine - does help here much to get out as fast as possible. Same for the get into the bend, a good feeling for the chassis capability safes a lot of time getting into it by as late and hard braking as possible. ABS will be the king here, especially when it is wet. Does it even rain over there? In dry conditions tires will get hot by the intense braking and need a good line for the "cool down" through the bend. I guess there will be a lot of dirt in that corner, really challenging when overtaking there, because of bend 2. This will kill the overtake if the opponent find a inner route when having good traction, RWD will/may have an advantage there to get out the situation earlier. Anyway the overtook opponent comes in with less speed and will accelerate more at the inner if he fought hard enough to speed out the overtaker, which will send that guy way out into a wider radius and give some chance to take advantage of the situation. That bend has huge potential for strategic driving.

Bend 3 seems to be a chassis weight and suspension challenger, good turn in and weight distribution can help there to get this right. Unbalanced cars will go way bigger radius as which opens doors for good balanced cars with some FWD power advantage (flywheel vs wheel).

Bend 12 seems to be the same, but I guess more on the brake compared to #3, which is more on the load pedal. Difficult to find the right mix of brake gradient, corner speed on those 2 mains sections and the best line for those two...and so on. I am not a driver, I am more in the engine topic, but need to know what drivers need. So I am always curious about this. Thanks for sharing your measurements and experiences on VIR, that's amazing!
Looking at my last race video from there... i have SO MUCH time left on the table, especially if i can get the car to turn a little more (which it should)... I let that S2000 hold me up and left too much space. I know i was worried about bending my new car and a rare S2000 (its a true CR)

I have slept on Summit there. Not supposed to, I love to do it. Have you been to "Hell's Kitchen" up there right off the AT trail?
we started at the dragons tooth parking lot, did dragons tooth... hiked all day... slept at the base of McCaffees knob, hiked up in the morning for sun rise... went over to tinkers cliff... went down the valley and across and then up the mountain you see on the other side of the valley from McCaffees Knob/Tinker Cliffs and spent the night up there... then did a 10 mile ridge walk back to the dragons tooth parking lot. roughly 40 miles in 3 days.

we have not been to hells kitchen yet. we do mostly multi day overnight trips so there is a lot of planning involved with other routes to get back to the car or to get a shuttle.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,098 Posts
Looking at my last race video from there... i have SO MUCH time left on the table, especially if i can get the car to turn a little more (which it should)... I let that S2000 hold me up and left too much space. I know i was worried about bending my new car and a rare S2000 (its a true CR)

we started at the dragons tooth parking lot, did dragons tooth... hiked all day... slept at the base of McCaffees knob, hiked up in the morning for sun rise... went over to tinkers cliff... went down the valley and across and then up the mountain you see on the other side of the valley from McCaffees Knob/Tinker Cliffs and spent the night up there... then did a 10 mile ridge walk back to the dragons tooth parking lot. roughly 40 miles in 3 days.

we have not been to hells kitchen yet. we do mostly multi day overnight trips so there is a lot of planning involved with other routes to get back to the car or to get a shuttle.
The last time I went to McCaffe's Knob I had a Ford Ecoline junker van, so I parked right on the side parking lot. I love that area up and down I-81. great times great people. much better than most of the city folk where I am from, some people up there are not versed in the differences of people. Still I love it...

In Afton Mt. my cousin own's Silverback Distillery, Christine Riggleman

281 - 300 of 304 Posts