Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
I just emailed BC racing to ask if they sold lower mounts for the coilovers that are interchangeable to adjust the height of the coilover and extend how much thread goes into the lower mount. This is for the BR series. I am not sure if the lower mounts work like that for height adjustment for their other coilovers. This would make the BR series extreme drop kits have more height adjustments.

I also asked to please keep me informed for open box sales on some of their top of the line coilovers.
BC is not going to be too helpful... I tried to order some of their spanner wrenches for my coilovers, they had an 8 week backorder. I canceled the order... received a confirmation email, got my refund... the spanners came in yesterday. Yes thats great for me... No thats not good for business overall... it just means there is a disconnect in the business that is costing them money. that can become a distraction and impact the product over all.

Reactions: Them Witches

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
I've been semi chasing this P0340 code... my buddy decided i wasnt good enough to deal with it (he was right) because i just read the internet and my diagnostics skills arent near his level... especially with electrical stuff (I've been gun shy since i burned down a harness on my old integra).

I think he gets more help from this Snapon Scanner tablet thing then he is letting on... but he also jumps into the service manual first... not google :ROFLMAO: The service manual helped us find this...
Automotive lighting Amber Orange Gesture Finger

This is the 10A alternator fuse... I'm going to assume the alternator that i replaced after last race went bad, surged, and popped this fuse... and caused the P0340 code. This is responsible for providing the 12V to the intake cam sensor.

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

We are trying to make sure the alternator is the only reason for the fuse to blow. The ground wire off the intake manifold has 36ish ohms of resistance... He's a toyota mechanic by trade and that makes him nervous. I'm going to validate on the harness that is supposed to come in today... if it reads the same i'll leave the original harness in the car, if it reads near 1 ohm... its going in the car just to be sure.

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
BC is not going to be too helpful... I tried to order some of their spanner wrenches for my coilovers, they had an 8 week backorder. I canceled the order... received a confirmation email, got my refund... the spanners came in yesterday. Yes thats great for me... No thats not good for business overall... it just means there is a disconnect in the business that is costing them money. that can become a distraction and impact the product over all.
The distraction you are talking about is the fine line in someone else going to another company for their next product and not consider BC. How in the world can they be backordered on spanner wrenches, a simple tool that is the most important tool of the coilover. I have not received a return email yet, sticking to the MO of not too helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
The distraction you are talking about is the fine line in someone else going to another company for their next product and not consider BC. How in the world can they be backordered on spanner wrenches, a simple tool that is the most important tool of the coilover. I have not received a return email yet, sticking to the MO of not too helpful.
I believe these types of "distractions" and related issues is why RedShift moved away from using them as the base for their product.

i purchased a coil over spanner set on amazon and got it already... it just doesnt have "BC racing" stamped into it.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Nut and bolt check complete... everything is ready to go... it even got a good scrubbing. we have a +14 car field and i have A LOT of friends and family coming to cheer me on. lets get this party started.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Nut and bolt check complete... everything is ready to go... it even got a good scrubbing. we have a +14 car field and i have A LOT of friends and family coming to cheer me on. lets get this party started.

View attachment 108724
hell yeah hell yeah... go get 'em brother.

loving the car and the build thread. Thank you for sharing with the forum, I am learning good things from your work and experience.

I saw a guy that made custom front roll center adjusters. He used the FD2 CTR unit and modified it which made the height adjustable and the settings adjustable. Exactly how many parts are interchangeable with your chassis is hard to say, www.blackhawkjapan.com has great selections from M&M, Garage, J's Racing, Spoon, Mugen, Seeker, Zerofighter, Cusco, JUN, Toda.

Something else I was researching was using aero parts from the Toyota 86 (front bumper air intake ducts) and Yaris carbon fiber rear bumper vents (which can be used on the front bumper for things).

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I've never had a better weekend racing... even with a blown transmission (stay tuned).
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire

I say this a lot... but I race with the best group in the WORLD... If we start racing on Mars with Elon, my group is the best in the star system. we have some of the CLOSEST and CLEANEST racing out there... and no matter where we go, no matter the track, our group is a force. Like most race groups there are "tiers" of drivers BUT we all help each other, push each other, encourage each other... and we pull no punches on the track. We have a top tier of guys that can go to a new track and set a track record... these guys swept the podium at nationals, etc. we have a mid tier group (i'm apart of) that could win in any other region.... then we have the "back markers"... they are rookies or guys that are still working on developing their race programs...

yes... race programs. we all have one... all of us in my region. everyone does things a little different... everyone has slightly different goals per season or race. but we are ALL (every single tier) working on ourselves as drivers and the cars development. Even our top tier of drivers continue to push themselves and the cars capabilities... because they are still competing against each other.

This is my first year with the new car... duh... and i spent the first two race weeknds gathering data (race program plans)... this weekend we made adjustments. we did the first shock adjustments (my tutorial to come soon), we tested the first suspension piece change, AND we were able to test tire size... all yielding positive results at the track my car is supposed to be WEAK at.

Saturday:
I kept blowing the 10amp fuse again... in practice and qualifying it put me in limp mode... but i got one extra lap in qualifying before it blew.. good enough for P5 (aka fastest mid pack racer). we found the issue with the wiring, my brake pedal and the dash harness were rubbing and under hard braking i would pop the fuse... track side repair was done in time for the race... and thank god.

I started in P5 and was able to latch onto P4... I refused to let him go and i found some sections i was faster than him... 5 LAPS of trying to time my pass (video will be coming this week) before i pull it off... and then i ran like hell just in time to navigate slower traffic. to finish P4 and sort of jump a tier... i was stoked... the guy i passed as at least as happy for me as i was for myself (we are true track family).

Sunday:
No fuse issues, the front sway bar actually feels good... momentum from the previous day... and one of the "back markers" (a dear friend from college no less) asks me if i want to try his 255 tires on the front so he can try my 235 tires on the rear (his 9th gen civic is running a 255 square setup... and he wonders why he cant get it to turn).... i jump at the opportunity to test staggered without spending money... the data is invaluable to me in chassis development... there is no way i'm saying now.

My initial impressions of the 255 is that they are slower to react to steering input... on the warm up lap i noticed it... i knew i needed to move my hands a little faster and an little earlier to make it work... and boy did they work... qualified P3 with the big tires on sunday... so i ask my buddy if i can keep them on for the race... he says yes (hes also seeing more success with getting the car to turn).

The sunday race was the wildest time i have every seen... the group (tiers) are SO CLOSE... P1 qualified .5 seconds ahead of P2... BUT P2 to P8 is .2 seconds apart... several of us go positions by .00X seconds. As the green flag drops on our standing start I bully my way under P1s bumper, close the door on to keep P2 and use my K power to pull away on corner exits as God intended. By lap 3 i can still see 6 cars in my mirrors and we catch lapped traffic and my data says we are ahead of our qualifying times... the vtec is singing and we are trying to pick each other with lapped traffic and create a gap...

I successfully create a 7 second gap on P3 and the group 14 laps into the race... and then i lost 4th gear going into T10 before the straight away... i drop it in 5th and convince myself to run it as a 3/5/6 car and pray for a white flag soon... that dream is short lived as i brake for T1 and it wont go into 3rd gear either now... i get it into 5th and limp it in... i'm done for the day.... i know i have work to do and money to spend, i'm dying from the heat... but my wife, crew chief, and i have the biggest smiles on our faces... P2 for that long, alone, on the 3rd race weekend... just put the whole paddock on notice... we are coming for you all... and that front tier is about to get a little bigger (not just me, but the whole mid pack took a step).

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Apparently my 255 testing caused some drama... you know, even though someone in my class has been running them for 2 years. SO we might get slapped with a max tire width soon for the Restricted Prep cars. I'm 100% open about my car, what I do to it, how it is setup, etc. I post in on social media, you see pictures of me working on stuff... I have nothing to hide.

Rules change requests by racers require data to support the change, as a racer I expect the same from the rules committee... this is grass roots motorsports, not mother russia... the rules committee folks are racers too.

In an effort to hide NOTHING... here is my data that I currently have on hand right now (while i'm at work) ... I'll update when i dig into my Garmin, but i know i'm under around .25% lap and line variance according to the Garmin algorithm. This means i hit the same line over and over with a variance of .25%... 1/4 of a percent... thats... consistent.

SATURDAY QUALIFYING: 235 square setup... my fast lap was LAP 1 because I blew the 10amp fuse (just like i did in practice). After the qualifying we found what we thought was the issue and it ran fine the rest of the weekend (until the transmission issue... TBD).
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Screenshot

SATURDAY RACE: 235 square setup... same "cold" tire pressure setup... and the video posted above. Please note my FASTEST lap in the race was Lap 13 (of the race)... the tires were plenty hot by then.
Rectangle Font Line Slope Screenshot

SUNDAY QUALIFYING RACE (BOTE): 255 front, 235 rear... same cold pressure setup as the day prior.... my fastest lap was LAP 9... again, plenty late in the race to have over heated the tires on this car
Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

SUNDAY RACE: 255 font, 235 rear... same cold pressures as before.... my fastest lap was LAP 12... right before the trans let go...
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Screenshot

On 235s my fastest lap in a race was 13 and on 255s my fastest lap was 12... without deep dive data (which i dont own anymore because the infrastructure required to use it properly is a pain in the butt for me to deal with track side) it doesnt seem that the wider tire provided any performance advantage. EVERYONE got slightly faster all weekend, some people more than others (this variance always happens).

Subjectively, 255s might have felt like they took longer to grease out... but my lap times dont support it. 255s definitely screwed with my gearing a little bit (and the Garmin should be able to measure that) and subjectively it felt like the 255s were slower to respond to steering input... again the lap times dont support that either but maybe i adapted quickly.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,746 Posts
Subjectively, 255s might have felt like they took longer to grease out... but my lap times dont support it. 255s definitely screwed with my gearing a little bit (and the Garmin should be able to measure that) and subjectively it felt like the 255s were slower to respond to steering input... again the lap times dont support that either but maybe i adapted quickly.
Very nice race video. That car #501 came better off at start and slowed you down pretty long, the 2nd approach of overtaking on that long later falling straight was just I would have suggested also: close up tight to win a power advantage in it's wind shelf and jump aside to overtake so that guy has tactically no option to react other then retreat from bothering you again by setting the car again in your way. That was good to see you took that direction. I would even close more up to reduce the time window in that he can setup his reaction action getting again in front of you. The more close you are, the more options you have. It's like with boxing, far distance boxing need significant better performance or body advantages, close up boxing has more options, but other then this, you had a power advantage in 5th gear, like the guy had his head at half height, ready to lift up with an under cut hammer.

Regarding tire temperatures, does front or rear come up faster on this track on temperature? Cold pressure setup means a bit more then optimal to reduce fulling and skewing of the tire? Did you try a different tyre brand, just to see the influence of the inner structure of it? The first question would relate to the wear of the tires and slithering with those. Balance of the turn in characteristic could be an lever arm to balance wear and slithering a bit better. I know, not beloved and 1st idea, but if it would be system immanently, not possible to run cooler by less aggressive steering.

I observed sometimes you pulled at fast but low radius bends the throttle significantly (e.g. 20:40 to 21:10). Especially left hand corners like at video time 21:02. Other curves at lower velocity you take very smooth at steering wheel and power pedal. Just out of curiosity to understand why, how far can you see sharply? I am curious what velocities your car had comparing the same corner at 21:02 and 23:58, while 2nd was traffic-wise non-optimal, but the smoothness and flow was better, despite you drove a tighter bend than it would have been necessary.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Very nice race video. That car #501 came better off at start and slowed you down pretty long, the 2nd approach of overtaking on that long later falling straight was just I would have suggested also: close up tight to win a power advantage in it's wind shelf and jump aside to overtake so that guy has tactically no option to react other then retreat from bothering you again by setting the car again in your way. That was good to see you took that direction. I would even close more up to reduce the time window in that he can setup his reaction action getting again in front of you. The more close you are, the more options you have. It's like with boxing, far distance boxing need significant better performance or body advantages, close up boxing has more options, but other then this, you had a power advantage in 5th gear, like the guy had his head at half height, ready to lift up with an under cut hammer.

Regarding tire temperatures, does front or rear come up faster on this track on temperature? Cold pressure setup means a bit more then optimal to reduce fulling and skewing of the tire? Did you try a different tyre brand, just to see the influence of the inner structure of it? The first question would relate to the wear of the tires and slithering with those. Balance of the turn in characteristic could be an lever arm to balance wear and slithering a bit better. I know, not beloved and 1st idea, but if it would be system immanently, not possible to run cooler by less aggressive steering.

I observed sometimes you pulled at fast but low radius bends the throttle significantly (e.g. 20:40 to 21:10). Especially left hand corners like at video time 21:02. Other curves at lower velocity you take very smooth at steering wheel and power pedal. Just out of curiosity to understand why, how far can you see sharply? I am curious what velocities your car had comparing the same corner at 21:02 and 23:58, while 2nd was traffic-wise non-optimal, but the smoothness and flow was better, despite you drove a tighter bend than it would have been necessary.
I havent launched my car other than these 3 race weekends. its going to take some time for me to figure out how not to spin tires in the first 3 gears.

I was trying to time my pass in T1 (where i passed) from T5 (down hill left hander)... we were pretty equally matched, but I knew T1 through T5 i was faster, so i wanted to make the pass into T1. It took me several laps to line him up, between my mistakes and his... and both our tires going down. 2ish laps before the pass i actually went into a more tire management strategy, short shifting into 4th gear between T6 and T7 to minimize wheel spin, use my speed up the hill through T9 and hopefully getting close enough for the pass... ALL THAT BEING SAID... i knew some things to force my pass at that moment... while not optimal.
1. our pace was not fast enough to catch P3 or faster because he was defending and i was attacking.
2. he always braked at the 4 marker in T1 and i could go deeper if needed (these brakes are really great)
3. we were about to run into the mid pack group of the slower classes... and the 501 is VERY good in traffic

we have a spec Toyo RR tire for the dry. I went with a 27psi front and 29psi rear... the fronts come in faster everywhere... they are the primary for braking, turning, and power... my goal is to come off at 36-37psi hot after the race. My choices were right on the money on saturday and i carried it to sunday. sunday was a little hotter so i should have dropped it a little bit, but it was still okay and within range.

because of the speed of the right hand turns, there is significant wear on the front drivers side tire. T1, T6, T7, T9, and T10 are all hard right handers... that allowed my front right tire much fresher. I'll take some pictures of the tire wear... its dramatic. something that i find that helps is corner balancing the car... but we havent done that yet as its one of the final suspension tuning items to do when dealing with a new car.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Here is a picture of the course... Summit Point Raceway.
Gesture Line Slope Font Drawing

As you can see... there are a lot of "right hand" turns which cook the front drivers side tire. T3, T5, and technically T8 are the only left hand turns... they happend to be where I could use more torque to close the gap... I believe i could as well in T1-2 because i'm able to cool down the front on the straight away just enough... but that begins the harsh heat into the front left tire. I was also faster than the 501 in T4, which is very fast and really loads the front left. The later in the race the harder T9 becomes for me... T10 seemed consistent as long as i used the curbing to load the heated tire.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Sunday race with the infamous 255s... and the broken trans... sorry for the yellow dot, its the beat of the east identifier.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
UPDATE: 255s will still be legal to run on the 8 inch wide wheel... they will spend at least this year collecting data on all the restricted prep cars in H2

I personally will be looking to run 235 square with the big ASR bar. I'll work with that for a bit and then possibly try the 245/225 stagger with the ASR and Progress bar.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Here is a picture of the course... Summit Point Raceway.
View attachment 108770
As you can see... there are a lot of "right hand" turns which cook the front drivers side tire. T3, T5, and technically T8 are the only left hand turns... they happend to be where I could use more torque to close the gap... I believe i could as well in T1-2 because i'm able to cool down the front on the straight away just enough... but that begins the harsh heat into the front left tire. I was also faster than the 501 in T4, which is very fast and really loads the front left. The later in the race the harder T9 becomes for me... T10 seemed consistent as long as i used the curbing to load the heated tire.
I have driven on this course during SCAA/NASA schooling. I like the facility there being able to camp out in the woods etc.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
I have driven on this course during SCAA/NASA schooling. I like the facility there being able to camp out in the woods etc.
i live about 35 minutes south of that track... i dont sleep in the woods while i'm there... i prefer my bed :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
here is a different perspective... this is the sunday morning race. I qualified 4th and finished 3rd.... in this video you will see the fight between 2nd and 5th for most of the race.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts