Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I didnt get anything done while i was on vacation... i mean how can you when you arent at home. We got back from the beach last night... so i washed and ceramic coated the car. 3 days until we are at Hyperfest at VIR!

Reactions: Them Witches

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Good luck for that event!
thanks! i have a lot of time at this track and i think the car will run better here than at Summit Point.... which is good since i cant get any springs for the car until maybe the week before my next race.

Good luck for VIR. That is one of my favorite tracks, the one I learned first.

My fav video from there. The R Compound signing is cool...
learn from lap 3... particularly where he is on the track when he is braking... the speed he can carry up the esses is insane... but his hands are slow and costing him time (and speed) still!

I hope to post some good video from VIR and be able to show you the proper FWD line at VIR... it might be hard since we have a HUGE race group... everything from NP01s to 944s... i'll be in a lot of traffic as the 2nd fastest group (but the NP01s should be 10 seconds a lap faster!)

Reactions: Them Witches

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
The weekend didn’t go as planned… but when does it actually do that? Pictures and video will come out later this week! I got a ton of good data.. and "accidently" got some amazing data.

Saturday: Weather didn’t allow me to go out… my rain tires are on national backorder and I didn’t have any… SO my qualifying time was me learning the car there and the shift points. On of my competitors helped me adjust my clutch engagement and it eliminated my 6th gear shift issues.

The race was great… except we had a mixed group of honda challenge and super touring cars… and on our first warm up lap we got black flagged for lightening… the second warm up lap (30 minutes later) I had two cars ahead of me drop out AFTER we were in formation for the standing start…. I got distracted in the reshuffle and jumped the start (I was eventually DQed for it).

The race was awesome though. I had a nose to tail race with the Honda Performance Development prepared S2000 CR… I cant wait to share the video… it should be exciting.

Sunday: I dropped another .5 second off my time in Sunday qualifying. I was determined to not jump the start this time… AND I had data feedback to get my down another 2 seconds with minor input.

Well that didn’t go as planned… on the warm up lap I got a check engine light. I decided that if it didn’t go into limp mode… we would just race it the way it is… and that’s what I did. BUT I lost 2 seconds a lap… and I was getting frustrated. I was trying to drive the wheels off of the car, pushed it harder and harder and nothing…

My check engine light was P0340… my data showed I was 9mph slower on the straight aways (and we have 3 huge ones at VIR)… I’m going to assume that was the cause of my slower lap times… because my “optimal lap” incorporated 3 corners from the “slow” session… meaning those 3 corners were taken the fastest of the weekend... this would be the accidental amazing data.

We shall rebuild!... or find out whats wrong and fix it lol… 6 weeks before the next event.

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
going over the data... i have several things to change before the next race (in addition to fixing the P0340 code)

1. increase the front spring rate to keep from rolling so hard on the fronts
2. Order and install (if it comes in on time) the ASR hollow rear swaybar for this car (its already ordered)
3. Attached the super small front sway bar... this is a tuning aid (it can be easily "removed") and in theory it will help the Mcpherson Strut cars from going into positive camber when turning.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,586 Posts
3. Attached the super small front sway bar... this is a tuning aid (it can be easily "removed") and in theory it will help the Mcpherson Strut cars from going into positive camber when turning.
Interesting. I am wondering how much of it comes down to the placement of where the sway bar connects on the front control arm & that there is not a "pivot" or "release" of energy when needed from an upper front control arm. Does this make sense to you? I am trying to explain myself the best I can.

Of course I have wanted to see someone swap over a TL-S or TSX front suspension hubs/knuckles over instead of the Mac-Suspen. It is having the the attatchment point at the top of their knuckles for an upper control arm that interests me. Even if an upper control arm cannot be added, can making a 2nd attatchment point for the sway bar to balance it at lower and high points. This may balance the force the sway bar provides. Does this makes sense to you brother?

I know on my DC5 the front subframe is where the front sway bar mounts to. To me that is a poor design, I wonder how much flex is really going on? Does your front sway bar mount to the subframe like the DC5? I think Honda improved that design some or made a stronger subframe.

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Dunno how much information you have on the fault code but sounds like an exciting weekend regardless of the set backs.
thanks! I am going to test the sensors and then test the plugs. hopefully its just the sensors.

Reactions: drtye

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Interesting. I am wondering how much of it comes down to the placement of where the sway bar connects on the front control arm & that there is not a "pivot" or "release" of energy when needed from an upper front control arm. Does this make sense to you? I am trying to explain myself the best I can.

Of course I have wanted to see someone swap over a TL-S or TSX front suspension hubs/knuckles over instead of the Mac-Suspen. It is having the the attatchment point at the top of their knuckles for an upper control arm that interests me. Even if an upper control arm cannot be added, can making a 2nd attatchment point for the sway bar to balance it at lower and high points. This may balance the force the sway bar provides. Does this makes sense to you brother?

I know on my DC5 the front subframe is where the front sway bar mounts to. To me that is a poor design, I wonder how much flex is really going on? Does your front sway bar mount to the subframe like the DC5? I think Honda improved that design some or made a stronger subframe.
it has more to do with the motion of the front suspension and the "location" of the rubber bushings. in theory its allows too much flex and the bar should help reduce the flex (because of the rubber bushings).

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
My aggressive start and race with the HPD S2000 CR

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,706 Posts
My aggressive start and race with the HPD S2000 CR
You did the right thing, otherwise you would have stuck in traffic even more. Very nice strike! That S2000 driver need a bit of a driver lesson? These F20C1 engines are not the most powerful with the RWD efficiency disadvantage, but the driver couldn't take advantage of the RWD during cornering, he operate to hesitate on the steering wheel and on the brakes.

What happen at your shift events?
What engine does that red car (BMW?) have? Looks like it had a better gear ratio on that straight, doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
You did the right thing, otherwise you would have stuck in traffic even more. Very nice strike! That S2000 driver need a bit of a driver lesson? These F20C1 engines are not the most powerful with the RWD efficiency disadvantage, but the driver couldn't take advantage of the RWD during cornering, he operate to hesitate on the steering wheel and on the brakes.

What happen at your shift events?
What engine does that red car (BMW?) have? Looks like it had a better gear ratio on that straight, doesn't it?
I missed practice due to rain... so before this race i only had 5 laps of qualifying in the car at this track. i was a little hesitant on my shifts and a little slow with them. I was also still experimenting a little with what gear i should be in. by sunday things were better... i adjusted the clutch out some and the 6th gear grind went away.

the red one at the start is another 8th gen civic... he definitely has a healthy motor. there is a red and white bmw that is out of class... i don't know what he has in it... likely the I6 they come with.

I couldn't make the S2000 driver make a big mistake... but that's because i wasn't aggressive enough with him. i'm still getting comfortable with the car and racing again. hopefully i pick up positions each event. I really need to get out in the garage and start making changes.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,706 Posts
he definitely has a healthy motor
Healthy? Looked like 20 hp plus add on or a better situation matching gear ratio. He passed you guys like Michael Knight did it with K.I.T.T in Knight Rider with super pursuit mode.

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Healthy? Looked like 20 hp plus add on or a better situation matching gear ratio. He passed you guys like Michael Knight did it with K.I.T.T in Knight Rider with super pursuit mode.
how far in the video? what time stamp?

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Automotive parking light Car Sky Wheel Cloud

this car? if its this car... that is a honda EM1 with a K20R engine/trans... this is a Honda Challenge 1 car and hes putting down 245ish hp/165ftlbs and weights 2400lbs. (he has 45ish hp on me and is 300lbs lighter at this point in the race :ROFLMAO: )

221 - 240 of 246 Posts