Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You fill in the blanks.
We have had a ton of requests to do a high strength first and second gear set, so here is your chance. If we get at least three deposits for the same thing, we will make them. We need to know:
Do you want straight cut or helical cut gears?
What ratios?
Dog or synchro engagement?
Synchro would be cheaper, and the dogs on first won't really do you any good for drag racing.

This package would include the input/main shaft and first and second gears (plus the hub and slider if we go with dogs). Price will be $1500 per set for synchro, $2000 for dog engagement. 50% deposit required.

Let us know what you want and we will make it!

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
interesting, but i as well would also want a 3 and 4 option... heck even a 5th gear as well as my car almost never sees the track...

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
I think the 1st and 2nd gear is better. Since the mainshaft has the 1st and 2nd gear molded to it already, a stronger 1st and 2nd gear set means stronger mainshaft as well. 2nd gear is always the most expensive gears to fix & seems to be the most frequent one to go and still one of greatest issues we all have to deal with(for those using a 5spd tranny). 3rd and 4th are cheaper fixes..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are just sticking with the first and second upgrade on this to keep it affordable and fix 90% of the K series transmission problems. So far one person wants 3.27 first and 2.13 second, and another wants 3.08/1.88. Once we get deposits for three sets they will take about eight weeks to make.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I was pm'd regarding this thread.

I will admit I'm in over my head when it comes to picking custom gearing options. I do like the idea of a beefed up first and second as they are the ones to toast first. My issue is I am unclear as to what size gearing I would need and no clue as to if I want straight cut or helical gears, dog or synchro engagement.

My setup:

K24/K20 mildly built - eventually Kraftwerks SC.

I don't care much about drag racing, I mostly circuit race my car. I also daily drive the hell out of my car so that plays a huge factor.

I'm going to look on youtube and around the net to see if I can get an accurate idea of what I am getting myself into.

On the whole, $1500 is an easily doable figure. I just have no clue what avenue to take. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

·
FUCK IT
9,473 Posts
Ok I'm down for first and second. I can just get 3rd and 4th treated to take the highway abuse... I'm down for the longer ratio set

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
PM me with a price for 1-2 gear. I have a custom ratio in mind that I need.

Stefan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for taking the time to attempt to answer even a portion of my questions. :down:

Why would you PM me regarding this thread if you planned to leave me hanging?
Sorry, I thought you were going to research this yourself. I need to know a little more about your setup:
Final drive ratio
3rd/4th/5th(/6th) ratios
Tire diameter
RPM limit
Horsepower
Weight
etc

I can tell you the straight cut gears are probably what we will make because they are stronger and cause less drag, plus most people don't care if first and second whine a little. Also the synchros will be cheaper since you will reuse the stock synchro rings, hub, and slider. For circuit racing the dog first and second would probably improve your lap times, and you might want a taller first and second than the drag racers. It all depends how much you want to spend, how much you care about noise, exactly how slow your slowest turns are (road race or autocross), etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In for updates. Is this moving forward? Gear ratios? Straight or helical? Price?
We've gotten a lot of PM's on this group buy but we don't have enough deposits yet to get started.
So far the 2.93/1.90 and 3.08/1.88 have the most interest and should work well with the stock 3rd and 4th.
Most people seem to want straight cut gears for strength and synchros for cost and driveability. Like that these sets will be $1500 each.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
A dog engagement 1-2 , with using a stock 3-4 is great for a lower budget all motor racer. I have been using a set up like this all year, although not Frana. The 1-2 transistion tends to be the harshest on the track, and one of the most missed lol.

I have seen some of the Frana stuff in person and have complete confidence in their stuff.

I'm Glad you are giving everyone another option !

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wondering if this is still happening? Is there enough interest for these? Interested in the dog 1-2.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts