184kw (247hp) 227nm.

Wheel Tire Sky Water Car
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle
Sky Wheel Cloud Tire Vehicle

Registered
96 civic HX K24a

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, the gold wheels are gone now, 247 fun yes, doing a few upgrades shooting for 260hp by December

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
Thanks for the welcome, the gold wheels are gone now, 247 fun yes, doing a few upgrades shooting for 260hp by December
Welcome to K20a.org from my side too. Great car. A friend of mine, living north east of your place, sold his red FN2 2 years ago. He raced with it and used it as DD. I known his engine quite good, I've tuned it from remote and won against a local tuner, who tuned it on his dyno. Maybe you know him?

What are your plans for the 260 hp?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to K20a.org from my side too. Great car. A friend of mine, living north east of your place, sold his red FN2 2 years ago. He raced with it and used it as DD. I known his engine quite good, I've tuned it from remote and won against a local tuner, who tuned it on his dyno. Maybe you know him?

What are your plans for the 260 hp?
I鈥檓 toying with the thought of upgrading my cams to BC or DC stage 2s, sup tech VT and injectors
Hopefully reach 260hp but it鈥檚 a far reach though as it seems.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the only picture I have currently, the rocker cover is however wrinkle black now.

not sure how I feel about it鈥o might go back to red in the future

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
I鈥檓 toying with the thought of upgrading my cams to BC or DC stage 2s, sup tech VT and injectors
Very interesting goal. I am happy to read there are still NA guys, aiming for a real NA engine.

We are talking about wheel or flywheel power rating when you call it 260 hp? The later, the 260 flwhp, would be an almost straight forward process with DIC cams from TODA or DC and good bolts on parts as well as tuning. The former is an much more challenging stuff. Upgrading cams and bolts on likely won't make it to 260 whp. For that goal you need a proper IM, CAI and H as well as higher CR to compensate the increased cam durations.

A typical 250-255 whp setup has: a proper Header, 3" exhaust, no CAT, a RRC, RBC or RSP IM, a stage 2 cam like TODA A3, DC 2.2 or even DC 3.5. For 260 whp you would likely need a much better IM, which is able to increase VE on the higher end.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
really love the car. i like the power output to. i was interested in the Drag Cartel DIC and your view on them.
Great set of cams, however not much I can compare it to as it鈥檚 my first cammed k series.

it鈥檚 making good power however compared to the stage 2 k20s (Brian crower ones that I know of locally), being around 3kw and 3nm less than a few of the above mentioned.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very interesting goal. I am happy to read there are still NA guys, aiming for a real NA engine.

We are talking about wheel or flywheel power rating when you call it 260 hp? The later, the 260 flwhp, would be an almost straight forward process with DIC cams from TODA or DC and good bolts on parts as well as tuning. The former is an much more challenging stuff. Upgrading cams and bolts on likely won't make it to 260 whp. For that goal you need a proper IM, CAI and H as well as higher CR to compensate the increased cam durations.

A typical 250-255 whp setup has: a proper Header, 3" exhaust, no CAT, a RRC, RBC or RSP IM, a stage 2 cam like TODA A3, DC 2.2 or even DC 3.5. For 260 whp you would likely need a much better IM, which is able to increase VE on the higher end.
I鈥檓 referring to flwhp, however it鈥檚 a little hard comparing figures like you say it should be easy Achieve with certain mods due to various factors.
Sure you know the factors, but I do need a different header as I have a 4-2-1 with a 63mm collector.

planning on changing it to a 76mm or change the entire header to a 4-1 with 76mm collector.

Premium Member
planning on changing it to a 76mm or change the entire header to a 4-1 with 76mm collector.
that is a big collector. i would think you would indeed lose TQ everywhere and will not see gains up top because the header's gas will not have the same velocity as a 2.5" collector. gas flow is being pushed by the piston being forced up by the crank, and then valve regulates release by opening. the velocity and basically a vacuum effect is needed to develop exhaust speed, sometimes volume does not work with exhaust so good as we would typically think. getting the exhaust specs are right. you would benefit from a custom spec header with your build bro.

i believe even the top header companies like ASP, Hytech, Burn Stainless are not recommending 76mm collectors for Honda Kseries. Maybe for a drag race K24 or 320whp K24 type beast.

Premium Member
"big power" makes big residue from lots of explosion consisting of lots exploded fuel, some fuel not burnt completely depending of the type of fuel, and exploded oxygen.

4Piston's 519HP 106mm stroke (2.7-2.8L) pumps some exhaust out. A 86mm stroke (2.0L) pumps not so much. you are making power because you are getting good air into your engine at good velocity on the intake and exhaust. I would not go playing with any header collector on 4-1 by chance. Get one custom made for your set up at this point to get the most out of what you have, exhaust is normally the final frontier of power tuning. I bet is you drop $1,500 on a ASP or Hytech header they will not have 76mm collector, instead it will be the best mod you will do bests the cams.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I get you and maybe not ideal for the k20, considered it as a friend made gains by doing this on his k24鈥 I will hold off with that idea though.

learn something new everyday

Premium Member
I get you and maybe not ideal for the k20, considered it as a friend made gains by doing this on his k24鈥 I will hold off with that idea though.

learn something new everyday
i am not trying to stop anyone from trying something new, however this is just not going to work unless your engine calls for it. LotusElise is the man to ask engine build questions of.

I have studied exhaust dynamics for some time now, still there is more to learn.
you would benefit from a 4-1 with 2.5" collector that goes into a megaphone that ends in a 3" exit or your can have a header with a 3" exit, the megaphone will work for sure.

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
I bet is you drop $1,500 on a ASP or Hytech header they will not have 76mm collector
They indeed have a smaller collector for reason.

I've tuned some engines, having crazy header designs, in Africa, where import fees and restrictions lead to local fabrication. Most of those fabricators are auto didacts. Even in higher racing series there are only few on this continent who are doing a real good job at the header. If I draw down a 200 mile radius here, I will find at least 10 top dog companies, supplying or running a F1, LeMans and other highest level race team. Hydro-formed headers with down to 0.6 mm wall thickness? One of the best F1 engine? Top Dog engineering companies (AVL, FEV, AMG, Schaeffler, Daimler, BMW, Audi, ...). The tuning industry in Africa suffers disadvantages due to the above mentioned restrictions (i.e. high octane fuel prices up to 100 times higher then here in Europe like in Angola), but despite that, it is a well prospering scene, who does a great job. I really like it.

I鈥檓 referring to flwhp, however it鈥檚 a little hard comparing figures like you say it should be easy Achieve with certain mods due to various factors.
Sure you know the factors, but I do need a different header as I have a 4-2-1 with a 63mm collector.
Yes I can imagine some of the restrictions. Do you have an picture of your header?

For those 260 ponies you definitely need bigger injectors = tuning hard- and software to adapt this. There exists already a very good basis hardware-wise. My guessing is the tune is not at optimum. Around ;) 10 of 10 calibrations I've got from guys on your continent as basis are not tuned to optimum. It starts at the intake routing, goes over the not optimal calibration setup and ends most at the muffler hardware, which can be improved just by adjusting things right. I had a similar K20Z4 engine, with a stock TB, RSP IM, stock long block and a 63 mm exhaust about 4-7 Nm more everywhere compared to the local tuner. Made at Pretoria altitude 124 kW/177 Nm before and just by tuning 133 kW/185 Nm after. For the other guys, Pretoria is at 5250 ft altitude, that means a WOT MAP of 0.83 bar or 12 psi, which is like 50-55 % TPS at sea level. Local guy tuned it on dyno, I've done it on street and a single dyno roll for measurement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts