Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! Tranny (lsd) busted?

I was doing a k20a2 swap in my jrsc ep3... go for a test drive when its running, it hits vtec and I hear a bang.... the car goes in gear but doesn;t go anywhere.

I push the car back home, and pull the passanger axle... now I should mention that the axle went in WAY too easy miniutes earlier. Ok, having said that, we pull the axle and low and bewhold... there is NO snap ring. I stick a magnet into where the axle goes in, and I get some small chards of metal in there... what looks like snap ring metal...drain the fluid, and I don;t see any shavings or anything on the stock tranny fluid drain magnet... I have a dc5 lsd in my car... how screwed am I? I am thinking of flushing the tranny, because even if I open it, the metal shards that used to be the snap ring are tiny. The groves in the diff for the axle teeth are fine, no damagte there.

My biggest concern right now is the differential... keep in mind I was in first gear, not going or pulling hard at all... just jit 3800 rpm and then the noise...

PLEASE ADVISE!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I remember reading about someine breaking the k series lsd becaus ehe was doing a burnout and one wheel was in water and not the other... that was with slicks. On the other hand, i also know that a helical lsd needs a preload on one wheel in order to work.... so hopefully my car not moving is not evidence of a gone lsd... even though only one axle is connected...

·
Registered
335 Posts
With one broken axle no LSD will work. You probably just spit the axle out of the case momentarily. I have sheared off tons of axles with my LSD and the car will not move. Your tranny will live, just change the fluid and put the axle in with a good snapring and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
sounds like maybe your shaft wasnt completely inserted into the tranny. did you make sure it was in all the way? when you were moving, and it was in gear, and it wasnt pulling, did you hear any noise?

if i were you i would drop the tranny and open it up... its no that hard but you will need a helms manual.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NickZED20 said:
sounds like maybe your shaft wasnt completely inserted into the tranny. did you make sure it was in all the way? when you were moving, and it was in gear, and it wasnt pulling, did you hear any noise?

if i were you i would drop the tranny and open it up... its no that hard but you will need a helms manual.

It does not make any noise... My initial sentiments were identical to your pull the tranny, open the case again, but at the end of the day, the snapring is made of soft metal, the tranny gears are not. From the debris I found in the axle hole (for lack of a better word) the snap ring was eaten into a million pieces, so small, that opening the tranny wouldn;t helpo, just need to flush it a couple times... should I use tranny fluid to flush of something else that is thinner and can get around in tthe tranny better (not to mention les expensive!)?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nicersx said:
Sounds like your drive shaft was not in the tranny all the way.If you dont see any damage try sticking it back in but make sure the snap ring is holding it in.

well it passes visual, I looked at the groves in the tranny and they llok fine, and the teeth on the axle look fine, I'll flush, snap and test to tomrrow, I am hesitant to buy a universal snap ring, this seems like the kind of thinkg you should buy oem for...so I have to wait till monday

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.