Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im in the mix of building my car from top to bottom, i figured since everything was out, id pull everything off the motor and put it on a stand and paint it, well when i went to remove the RBC manifold, the left side of the manifold where you cut is stuck, no way of shaking, manhandling, tricking this thing to coming off, i tried removing the studs that go into the block but no luck there. i took a couple pictures so maybe one of yall could suggest something a little more, or one hell of a trick.
its just on the brink of being caught, but i dont get how i got it on there if its not coming off somehow!!?!? im stumped lol.

Justin

also, if anyone could give me pics on how to put a kseries on an engine stand thatd be great also lol, did you pick it up with a buddy and bolt it on or tip the stand over, bolt it on and then pick all of the above up? im stooped there also lol!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The left side of the manifold is not where you cut... the right side is.

I removed all but one stud to keep this from happening. You may have to remove the water pump to take it off.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol i noticed that once i went back into my garage and checked and notcied i made a mistake, the right side is where i cut, not the left and the left side is where it is stuck. so i need to remove the majority of the bolts from the water pump im guessing on the left side in which is holding the rbc to take it off?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you take off the water port on the right side?
yes, but no luck. it allowed for a little more movement but not enough to wiggle or come off cleanly. its caught on the left side, where my ep3 idler pulley would sit, the curved piece of metal it bolts to.

Remove both of the studs and replace them with bolts.
DUDE! plz! i tried to take the studs out by putting one nut on and the other on the opposite way and seeing if the stud would come out but no luck. should i get in there with some pliers or vice grips and clench the pee out of it and screw them out? i dont want to get to crazy and start hacking at stuff lol, but def some pointers on getting those studs out would be great Mike. Thanks.
Thanks everyone for input, keep em coming!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
If u can't do the double nut technique then use some vice grips. Your replacing them with bolts anyway so why worry? Just take your time. After the studs are out the manifold should relieve itself.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
You may need to actually cut the studs. The upright portion that is preventing the mani from removal is not part of the water pump but the entire coolant passageway, that is far more work than cutting the studs and then removing them with a pair of vicegrips after you get the mani out of the way.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You need to be patient, I took about an hour to figure it out, I removed the hose that goes under the manifold to the water passage, you have to pull the right side of the mani, and Jiggle it away from left to rigth. Take your Time, but It can be done without removing the water passage + Pump.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys for all the help, im about to out my daughter down to sleep and go in the garage and give it all a try. thanks everyone again!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Take your fuel rail off. It will make it easier for you to access the studs.

And if you end up cutting the studs, the shavings may be going straight into your head>cumbustion chamber. Try to block that off with rags.

·
Pepsi Soprano
1,365 Posts
do not cut the studs just use 2 8mm nuts , get them on the stud and tighten them so that they lock on the stud but with not on the flange.

-------><-------- dotted line is the stud and the arrows are the nuts .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts