Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
i am currently in the process of trying to build a transmission for a k frank swap into my 2005 ep3. i originally intended on using a type s transmission, but when i purchased one about a year ago, my (then) ignorance did not tell me that it was an 04-05 transmission :(. what i was wondering was whether i may be able to mix and match parts between the two transmissions i have? i would like to have the taller first gear my ep3 transmission has, the 2nd through 5th gears the 04-05 type s has, and a tsx 6th for fuel economy. i currently dont have the tsx parts--after reading about the difference in the tsb'd and non-tsb'd transmissions, i am unsure of what i need to get. what other parts would i need? any help would be appreciated

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
There are quite a few write-ups here about doing this. You'll need a 6spd. shift box. The 6spd. gears can be put into your tranny case. Just get the gearset you'll be using and put them on the shaft and put back together.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i understand that they are swappable as a whole, but are they interchangeable? right now i am considering three options

one is to maintain the somewhat taller first gear of my transmission, use 2-5 of the 05-06, and use a tsx 6th. if thats the case i have a set questions--i heard that 1 and 2 have to stick together (poor phrasing and forgive me all lol), so is that possible? if i use this combination, would i be able to use the vss of my transmission? what other parts would i need?

two is to use all of 1-5 of the 05-06 and use a tsx 6th, and if that is the case, i still am unsure about compatibility of the vss and what other parts i may need.

three is it to retain my 1-5 and find a tsx 6th, but with all these threads on k20a.org about different designs between tsb'd (technical service bulletin...putting that in there because i didnt know at first either) and non-tsb'd transmissions, i don't want to order something and find out that it either wont fit or it will destroy my transmission.

hopefully these are all valid points, and any help and responses would be greatly appreciated.:up:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts