Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 3 weeks ago we got hit with some really hard rain in CA and I made the stupid decision to drive my car to work. My car is an 02 RSX Type S with a CAI near the driver side front bumper. Now it wasn’t raining when I left my house and it was pretty sun too. I had to drive about 25 miles to go do some training for my job. I was there from 9AM - 12 PM and about an hour before we were done all hell broke loose and the rain began to fall nonstop like a got damm airstrike. I knew immediately how bad situation was and was begging for the rain to stop. Once the training let out I sat in my car contemplating whether or not I should go home now or wait for the rain to stop. I waited for about 1 hour and the rain didn’t give a damm that I wanted to go home. So I went for it, I began driving while trying to avoid any large bodies of water on the road.

So far so good, but I have 25 miles to pass through before making it home. I came across an intersection and could see the waves that people were creating as they were driving through the water. I knew It was stupid for me to even drive through it, but I found a corner that looked pretty shallow. I was at idle, said a little prayer and went for it when immediately my car shuts off. There was a big dip that caused my car to stick its head deep in the water. So with my engine shut off due to the water going in the CAI I get out of the car and the water level is almost at my knees. It’s pouring rain and I’m trying to navigate through this large body of water to push my car out of this river that’s called an intersection since most cars are just driving around me and creating these mini tsunamis that are trying to knock me off balance. Luckily, a car that was passing by happened to tow me out of the water to a nearby apartment complex. I didn’t bother trying to turn on the car on and just called for roadside assistance.

I got it towed to my house and immediately got to work on it. I drained the oil and water came out for about two seconds. I then proceeded to pull the spark plugs out and they had some small water droplets on them. I pulled the CAI off and hooked up my RIDGID shop vacuum and used the nozzle to suck out any water that I could see in the manifold. There wasn’t much water in the manifold which I assumed most of the water drained from the oil pan.

To make sure I didn’t bend any of the rods I turned the crank case pulley with my breaker bar and I was able to make one full rotation without much resistance so It looks like the engine is fine. Water did shoot out from the far left cylinder since the plugs were out. Once I pulled enough water from the manifold I proceeded to add new oil with a new oil filter and added new NGK Iridium plugs.

Once I felt comfortable with my work I proceeded to start the engine and it fired up after hesitation for about 5 seconds. With the engine running, some more water and steam came out of the exhaust for around 30 seconds or so. Their was a brown substance that resembled oil or possibly rust that also came out of the exhaust for a few seconds. So with the engine warming up and the RPM holding at around 2K RPMs which is normal for my car when the engine is cold the idle settled to about 1K RPMs and began to bounce back between 1K-2K RPMs pretty rapidly. I had left the engine running for about 3 mins, but the problem didn’t go away. No check engine lights came on so I can’t even plug my scanner in and see what’s wrong.

If anyone can assist me in troubleshooting this issue I’m having I would definitely appreciate the help. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for all your help, but unfortunately my engine blew and it looks like someone took a chainsaw to the bottom of my engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts