Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Appreciate if anyone can help. I am having issues with my VTC actuator (RBB) giving rattling sounds when cold starting and intermittent during various rpm between 2 to 4000rpm (Sometimes it doesn't happen at all). Replaced with new OEM VTC actuator recently together with Hybrid racing tensioner. Old chain reused as I measured against brand new and no signs of stretching. Engine fully rebuilt with all new parts and less than 5k miles and is still under run in mode with no more than 3500 rpm of driving. While replacing the VTC gear, I did not remove the camshaft. I torqued down as per spec in unlocked position and reinstall without rotating to locked position. After less than 800 miles, the same symptoms of erratic rattling came back.

My questions are :-
1) Will this skipped step to turn the VTC to locked position before installing back result in VTC command not able to fully max out to 25°? The markings on the cam gears and crank pulley all lined up as per manual. Reason I asked is because my tuner mentioned when he command the VTC to advance, it made somewhere 16 - 17° and no more and trigger error starts to appear.

2) I have wired the VTC solenoid separately to the Link G4+ ECU, will there be any abnormality if the wires are reversed at the connector side?

3) What is the actual cause of the rattling? Oil pressure is tapped off sandwich plate at oil filter. Cold start at 94 psi, warm at 30 psi.

·
Registered
2000 s2000 ap1 f20c jdm. building a 1996 awd k24a swap crv
41 Posts
Is it possible your vtc solenoid is blocked or damaged in some way? Can you swap it out to test?

Is the vtc gear oem ?

·
Registered
2000 s2000 ap1 f20c jdm. building a 1996 awd k24a swap crv
41 Posts
Your oil pressure looks normal. As far as i know the oil pressure sensor stock is in the head. Its possible you got a bad part, its rare but these things do happen. If it wasn't a new part your symptoms would suggest imo a bad vtc gear...

I recently had a dealership have to cover the cost for repairs to my s2000, its a long story.. but i ended up with a new gearbox bearings and clutch. One of the new oem bearing installed for the rebuild failed and the gearbox had to be rebuilt a second time.

Honda accepted that it was parts failure and covered the cost.

Im not saying they will cover you, just an example that new parts sometimes brake lol, sometimes to keep in mind

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your oil pressure looks normal. As far as i know the oil pressure sensor stock is in the head. Its possible you got a bad part, its rare but these things do happen. If it wasn't a new part your symptoms would suggest imo a bad vtc gear...

I recently had a dealership have to cover the cost for repairs to my s2000, its a long story.. but i ended up with a new gearbox bearings and clutch. One of the new oem bearing installed for the rebuild failed and the gearbox had to be rebuilt a second time.

Honda accepted that it was parts failure and covered the cost.

Im not saying they will cover you, just an example that new parts sometimes brake lol, sometimes to keep in mind

Finally got hold of a new OEM VTC solenoid and swapped in. The rattle is still there but much softer and intermittent. The car bogs down when nearing 3k rpm regardless of which gear.
Is it something to do with skipped step to turn the VTC to locked position before installing the timing chain?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe the tensioner is faulty...
Or valve clearance, I've had them get noisy quickly from not tightening them correctly.
Is your drive belt correctly tensioned? A loose belt will vibrate.

Being intermittent and you drove 800 miles without a problem your timing is probably fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You say it's intermittent and bogs after 3000, is this while under load or light acceleration? From what I understand, the Vtc only starts advancing timing when there is load.

Being intermittent it could well be just be a bad wire or connection too. Or a different faulty sensor..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.