Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2002 Type S engine. The engine has 9078 miles i checked carfax and it was sold to the Salvage yard with that low milage. I have gotten the crazy idea of getting a JDM DC ITR and sell my Type S engine before i do the swap.. I want peace of mind and iknow with this Type S engine have it, but then egain I covet the power of the ITR.. What would you do? by the way i bought this engine really really cheap :). should i spend 5400$ on a Type R engine or keep the Type S???????

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
Either way....keep the type-S swap. When you say you got the motor "cheap"....how cheap??? Take the difference in your type-s swap and getting the type-r and put the money into the type-s.

Hell just in a roundoff price for a type-s($3000) and the R($5400). Tak that $2400 and get a quaife LSD and sleeve the block. You'll even have some left over to start your rod and piston setup with.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i live in MD and I dont know any places where my engine can be re-sleeved. This car is going to be a daily driver. No dragging, no street racing (well maybe :) ). What would you guys recomment for an engine with this kind of usage. I want it to be reliable but powerful enough. I was thinking of getting the DC5 Type R cams ( do i need the valvetrain), LSD ? the ITR final drive will that help me at all ? If I get Toda cams, that will give me lots of power but was this Type S engine designed to handle that much power ? will it shorten my engine's life ?

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
denisfern said:
Well i live in MD and I dont know any places where my engine can be re-sleeved.
Send it off to either Goldeneagle or Darton.

This car is going to be a daily driver. No dragging, no street racing (well maybe :) ). What would you guys recomment for an engine with this kind of usage. I want it to be reliable but powerful enough.
You really need to figure out what you're going to do with your car. You say "no dragging" or "street racing". Then its no need to put alot of money into your swap. Just get i/h/e and K-Pro and your set. You will make nice power and still be wayyy faster than a B-series Type-R swap.(Just my 2 cents)

I was thinking of getting the DC5 Type R cams ( do i need the valvetrain), LSD ? the ITR final drive will that help me at all ?
Again figure out what you're going to do. There is no need for an LSD if your not drag racing or auto-X racing, unless you just what an LSD. Also find out the price difference between the ITR tranny and the 05' Type-S tranny. The 05 Type-S tranny has the same final drive and same 1st-3rd gears.The 4th,5 and 6th gear is slightly longer which is good IF you are near or fully build your motor b/c you have a lot of power and you want slightly longer gears in the end

If I get Toda cams, that will give me lots of power but was this Type S engine designed to handle that much power ? will it shorten my engine's life ?
The Type-S engine can take the same power as the ITR. Remember the ITR is just a modified version of the Type-S(Higher CR, Slightly milder cams, Head job is slighty better and of course the high final drive,shorter gears and LSD) Once again IF all out power is sought after GET A TYPE-S SWAP!!! And since you have one you're good to go. On the cams part, you need to research the cams for yourself, find out the specs, look and profile figures and dyno plots and ASK may questions from "Non Vtec, Nikos etc.....people who have these cams and THEN make your descision. BE PATIENT!!!!! It will work out in the end FOR YOU!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.