Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the K series game I want to know if i'm planning on doing a K24 bottom with a K20a2 head swap. Is there a difference between the CRV(K24a1), ACCORD(K24a4), and TSX(K24a2) bottom end since i'm swapping the head anyways? i know that i have to change the pistons to K24a2 are there any big changes in horse-power and Torque between the 3? Please help me out people

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
the accord pistons will not work with the k20a2 head.

The CRV and TSX pistons will work..

the TSX pistons will make more power than the CRV because they are higher compression.. 10.5 vs 9.6

The bottom ends are all the same basically... the only difference is that the tsx block has oil jets to cool the stock pistons... Any block will do.. if you are looking to set some new world record on a motor like this lasting 100K miles+ maybe the tsx oil jets would be a good thing... but most people sell their motor or swap it for something else not before too long...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the accord pistons will not work with the k20a2 head.

The CRV and TSX pistons will work..

the TSX pistons will make more power than the CRV because they are higher compression.. 10.5 vs 9.6

The bottom ends are all the same basically... the only difference is that the tsx block has oil jets to cool the stock pistons... Any block will do.. if you are looking to set some new world record on a motor like this lasting 100K miles+ maybe the tsx oil jets would be a good thing... but most people sell their motor or swap it for something else not before too long...
so if i get a K24a4 motor all i have to do is change the pistons, oil pump and bolt the k20a2 head to it an i'll be good?

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
so if i get a K24a4 motor all i have to do is change the pistons, oil pump and bolt the k20a2 head to it an i'll be good?
Yes.... :up:

·
Registered
583 Posts
just to tag along so i dont start a new thread, why would one run a k20 head on a k24a2? i mean i know it doesnt have the same vtc capabilities but wouldnt the more tq in the 2.4 be better? wouldnt it accept mods just as good as the k20?

·
I don't know
2,932 Posts
just to tag along so i dont start a new thread, why would one run a k20 head on a k24a2? i mean i know it doesnt have the same vtc capabilities but wouldnt the more tq in the 2.4 be better? wouldnt it accept mods just as good as the k20?
You would get more flow with a k20 head although the tsx head flows just as well based on the info posted on this board.

There are a few threads explaing the flow of the k20 and tsx head you can read here. :up:

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
The K24a2 head is just as good if not slightly better than the K20a2 head. The torque has nothing to do with it. That is based on the Bore and stroke in the block and crank. If you have a K24a2 head, you dont have to sell it and get a K20a2 head. Both are great heads to use.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i know the tq comes from the bigger displacement but i doubt putting a k20a2 head on a k24a2 block would yeild the same numbers?! idk...but thank u 1320whtrex after searching on here i couldnt find a legitamit reason to go k20a2 over k24a2 other than tuning reasons..and for a daily driver that i want to be reliable im sure the k24a2 with a tune and bolt ons will yield the 225-230whp mark or more just like a k20a2 would correct or am i mistaken on this?

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
i know the tq comes from the bigger displacement but i doubt putting a k20a2 head on a k24a2 block would yeild the same numbers?! idk...but thank u 1320whtrex after searching on here i couldnt find a legitamit reason to go k20a2 over k24a2 other than tuning reasons..and for a daily driver that i want to be reliable im sure the k24a2 with a tune and bolt ons will yield the 225-230whp mark or more just like a k20a2 would correct or am i mistaken on this?
You would be surprised...... Basically both those heads are in the same ranking.. They may not be IDENTICAL, but the hp difference would be minute if any at all.. Both heads will make reliable DD with a good tune.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You would be surprised...... Basically both those heads are in the same ranking.. They may not be IDENTICAL, but the hp difference would be minute if any at all.. Both heads will make reliable DD with a good tune.
thats good to know then, and im guessing rev capabilities is the other factor to why people go k20a2 over k24a2?

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
thats good to know then, and im guessing rev capabilities is the other factor to why people go k20a2 over k24a2?
Out of the box, yes. The early K20A2 heads had dual valvesprings on the intake and exhaust sides. The TSX has singles, and the newer heads require different retainers/cotters when upgrading valvesprings.

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
so stock k24 tuned wouldnt i yeild more power with the a2head on it tuned then the stock k24
Not if you're comparing the K24A2 (TSX) and K20A2 (RSX-S) heads. Its been mentioned above that they basically flow the same. Now if you're comparing any of the other stock K24's from the Accord, CRV or Element...an A2 head on these blocks will out power on the top-end anytime because it has real VTEC.

Remember, there is more than just one K24 engine out there. K24A1/2/3?/4/5/8 maybe more, I'm not sure. From what I can tell, the K24A2 - from the TSX - is pretty much a factory K20/K24 frank motor.

·
Registered
457 Posts
From what I can tell, the K24A2 - from the TSX - is pretty much a factory K20/K24 frank motor.
thats the way i always looked at it and wondered why everyone wasnt just swapping this engine into whatever car. with the TSX, you are also getting the beefier internals also compared to the other K24 blocks. im guessing the price of the TSX swap is a big factor as to why people aren't using this engine compared to paying less than a grand on a k24(non TSX) and $5-600 on a type S head??

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
thats the way i always looked at it and wondered why everyone wasnt just swapping this engine into whatever car. with the TSX, you are also getting the beefier internals also compared to the other K24 blocks. im guessing the price of the TSX swap is a big factor as to why people aren't using this engine compared to paying less than a grand on a k24(non TSX) and $5-600 on a type S head??
Yeah, pretty much. Also, a lot of people will swap a K20A2 in their car and build a short block later on, then just swap it in between the head and trans :up:

·
Registered
457 Posts
sounds about right. hmm... gives me an idea when im done with the K20A2 then! haha.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts