Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. I need advice. I been having a #2 cyl misfire for the past few weeks. I posted another thread on this earlier.
Well today as I was sitting in traffic. My cel came on again. Checked thru Kman and #2 misfire again. I swapped coils once an cleared the cel 2weeks ago. A few days ago it came on for the 2nd time. I put fresh plugs and cleared the cel. Today it came on for a 3rd time same code.

I pulled the plugs and there is no oil on the ends. Possible head prob?

I decided to do a compression test.
cyl# 1 195
cyl# 2 100 <----checked 3 times
cyl# 3 205
cyl# 4 195

I'm just numb...I owe about 10g's on the loan for this car and can't afford a rebuild/labor.

Will a leak down test pinpoint the prob?

Can a valve issue bring down comp this low?

I could possibly pull the head off myself, but don't have the means to pull the engine out, because it does come out from under the car correct?

If it's not a valve, is my block done for? I dd this car and am shocked at my compression results cuz it drives soo good.

Will I do more damage if I keep driving it? I have 2 jobs, school, sitter that I need to get to.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sounds like you got a burnt valve. Possibly from not having the right clearance, over rev, or something. You can pinpoint the problem with leak down tester. You will have to remove the intake and exhaust manifold for a more detailed test. On these engines, pretty easy to do

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car starts and runs fine. I went two weeks until the cel cam on a sec time. this past weekend I put fresh plugs...4 days later another cel. I didn't see any signs of burning oil on the plug. I'm still in shock at the low comp on #2.
I'm gonna try a wet compression test today and see if #'s change on Cyl 2. I have an appoint. fri at the local Import doctor for a leak down test.

I couldn't sleep last night.:(

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
not sleeping and panic setting aint gonna help you my man , just relax till you know for sure and take it as it comes. what else can you do. did you happen to miss a shift and over-rev the engine at all? happens frequently buddy. i put/seated new valves in a k20a3 not long ago for a guy that went from 3rd to 2nd wide open. bent 2 exhaust valves , both in one cylinder. compression test showed a big fat goose egg on that cylinder , 0. id say best case scenario for you would be a burnt valve in this case. easy fix for someone good with the cars. typically id charge about 400 bucks for this fix for a friend. having to replace a bad valve or 2 is better than rebuilding the entire engine cause of bad rings or broken ringlands , etc.

good luck pal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. I've never missed a shift since I bought the car.
Whats proper shift point on a A2?
I will post results from wet compression later.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
no set shift point really. in theory , the rev limiter , lol. of course living on it isnt advised. its mechanical overrevs that hurt engine. exhaust valves cant close fast enough and the piston coming up kisses them.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
1 - Have you followed the helms procedure for troubleshooting this issue?
2 - Do you have access to a leakdown tester
3 - Can you check/verify your valve adjustment?
4 - If you move injectors/coils, does the CEL/misfire follow the parts or stay with the cylinder?

At this point, you still have quite a bit more troubleshooting that can be done to pinpoint the issue and determine how serious it is, or is not.

Also was the same procedure used for each cylinder? Like throttle open, etc.? I find it hard to believe that a 4-cylinder car basically running on 3 cylinders is driving fine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What Kommon said is correct. There are a number of issues you could be having right now. A Helms will be your most valuable resource for this problem.

However, I have seen cars that run with 100psi in a cyl(Broken ring lands/bent valves). Some of the easy things to do would be check your valve lash, and run some sea foam through the engine really quick. As is it doesn't sound all that great, but again, use the Helms.

Is this car tuned/tunable? K20A3's are going for dirt and pocket lint if you need to keep down time and cost to a minimum if it checks out as a ring/valve/gasket issue.

Here, these folks have one for $400 right now, and I think you can find them for even cheaper then that.

LKQ - Savannah
1-800-397-2474

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did a wet compression test twice and got 140, then 150.:cry:

Kommonn,
I used the procedure in the maual with throttle open...etc. I find it hard to believe as well.. She fires up and drives fine.
1. I have a shop manual
2. No, I'm taking it to a mech tomorrow
3. No
4. No. I've moved coils around and the cel is at the same cyl.

TheMidasTouch
I'd hate to downgrade to a A3.

I'm soo bummed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got feedback from the local import doctors. They did a leak down test as well as other tests. They said I either have a bent exhaust valve or it's isn't seating. I gave it the green light to fix. Too damn cold to be outside doing it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts