Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some have a base 02 auto rsx. (my girls) 170k. Motor went bad so so I swapped a new long lock with 50k. And after everything there are no cell lights on. Car runs.... But doesn't shift correctly... EVERYTHING IS PLUGGED IN. ALL GROUNDS ARE INTACT AND CLEAN (pass mount, trans ground, and the ground by the injectors)... Axles are in.... So here's the problem

In park when I rev the car. The mph goes up too... Does that in every gear actually... Then from park to reverse. Reverse doesn't work car won't move at all, rpms move and mph moves also... Neutral same shit... Then when I put in D it drives but doesn't shift into any gear just stays I gues in first and MAYBE second... Haven't taken on a highway or street yet cause the cars not registered. Only drive it around the parking lot at work... Now Inoreder to get it to shift all the way back up to park I have to SOMETIMES either slap it to "m" mode or d3 then to park otherwise it gets stuck and can't move it.... Now to get reverse to work I have to put it in D move at least and inch then put in reverse.... And it will go in reverse...
Sounds confusing because it is. Especially to type lol.. My question is anyone have any idea or had this issue... All fusses are good. All plus are good.. Trans worked fine befor I swapped the long block... So is there a certain reset procedure???
In ALLDATA it says when hooking the shift cable up make sure the shifter is in the "[81" position... Anyone know what that means???

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Definitely sounds like you have connectors on incorrectly. Maybe like your shift solenoid connectors reveresed. Seen this before with the same results.

I'm thinking by you being able to read MPH just by revving is indicating to me your VSS connector is plugged into a mainshaft or countershaft speed sensor location. Recheck all your connections then get back to us. If you see any connections with stretched wires, start there.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts

I would be willing to bet that you have the connectors for #12 & #13 reversed and or connectors for #7 reversed

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm I'm pretty sure I got everything in correctly. But have 12 and 13 backwards would cause the shifter getting stuck when trying to go back to park

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And number 7 is a plug rite on top of each other. On is brown n the connector is brown. And the one underneath it is black and the plug is black??

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Yes they are color coated which make them easier to designate. The problem with your shifter not wanting to come out of park would indicate to me that your range switch is out of alignment but that should not have happened if it is the original transmission and all you did was disconnect the shift cable and reattached after installation. There is a procedure to "Home/Align" your range switch.

Just to verify first, when your car is on does your Shift indicator lights in your cluster match the gear setting that your in?

But even if your range switch was out of alignment it would not make your MPH go up just from revs. As stated that makes me believe you have your main and countershaft speed sensors reversed. Check and make sure.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Typo I mean park not reverse. It doesn't get stuck in park it gets stuck going upto park...and even selecting the trans manually on the bottom with no cable shifting from park to reverse to neutral.... Still same results with out using the shifter in the car... Or even having it attached

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
That could still be a range switch issue.

Have you checked your connections yet. Your running around but yet still not giving us any result on what you found. Just check your connections, what do you have to lose.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry for the delay the car is at my job not at my house.. i jsut got to work now im about to pull it in and check the connections.. would you liek me to upload some pix of how everything is wired???

·
Registered
2 Posts
update::: plug 12 and 13 were backwords.. thanx guys for all your help...
Ok so I just swapped jdm k24a manual into my automatic Honda Element. I'm having the same issue with my transmission! Everything is plugged in and as far as the solenoid wires being swapped mine are color coded and can only go into the designated locations but everything that you guys have been saying sound like what is happening with my tranny so I'm stuck?! What it seems is happening is when in park everything shift but when I go from park to drive nothing happens and when I go back to park it seems like it slips and everything grinds now?!

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,979 Posts
Welcome Jdmintegr to K20a.org!

Ok so I just swapped jdm k24a manual into my automatic Honda Element. I'm having the same issue with my transmission! Everything is plugged in and as far as the solenoid wires being swapped mine are color coded and can only go into the designated locations but everything that you guys have been saying sound like what is happening with my tranny so I'm stuck?! What it seems is happening is when in park everything shift but when I go from park to drive nothing happens and when I go back to park it seems like it slips and everything grinds now?!
Anyone who knows more about this?

Could you please explain it a bit more as I didn't get it, e.g. what means you shift back to park position and it seems like it slips. What does slip?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome Jdmintegr to K20a.org!

Anyone who knows more about this?

Could you please explain it a bit more as I didn't get it, e.g. what means you shift back to park position and it seems like it slips. What does slip?
What it seems is when I put it in drive it engages the flywheel, but once I put in back into park it grinds or slips. Transmission seems to shift into gear but no movement. Drive or reverse

1 - 18 of 18 Posts