Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

Hello all, currently in the middle of trying to kswap my runner. I got a junk yard jdm motor that I am currently freshening up. I wanted a reliable motor that could go a little faster than the 22re. I wanted something Cheap, with a lot of aftermarket support and that would not destroy my drive train. So I picked up a k24 with an rrb head. I got a bell housing to bolt up to my current drive train, which is a w56 with two reduction boxes. My only problem is, my freshening up is turning into a full on build. So, inb4 how to make the most torque threads.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, most torque where? What is the operating rpm range you want to run at? I do assume off idle to what 3k rpm-ish? What's the budget for upgrades? What power level is it at now and how much more and where do you need the power? Sorry for the questions but this sort of thing is outside of my typical use range.
I am looking for low end torque. I don’t really have a budget for the build. Currently it’s just a stock k24a2. I have tore the engine down to the short block. So far my plan for the build is to rebuild the head. New valves, springs, retainers etc. clean up the castings a little bit on the head ports, S2000 oil pump, rbc cam gear, and I am really thinking about putting some new light weight rods and forged pistons with a bump to compression to 12:1 or 12.5:1. I am gonna try and modify an s2000 header and use the kpower rwd intake. I thought about getting drag cartels 2.2 cams but I think I might just keep the stock cams

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would leave the idea of installing 2.2 cams to a low end TQ engine. it makes no sense, the cams will shift the powerband to the right, the low end TQ and even mid range TQ will suffer requiring laying into the throttle to achieve or engauge the engine into delievering. you are going to throw different factors into the equation the (2.4L) was not designed for, that does not mean it will not work what you are doing. Think about this :

• the tire size
  • driveshaft weight
  • rear end gearing
  • rear end assembly

A normal K24's application is FWD. Losing some of the low end TQ for a stage 2 cam swap performace makes more sense. The engine is not pushing much weight (2000-2800 lbs EG to DC5) and in stock form (3200lbs. CL7 chassis), short lightweight tires, no driveshaft, no yoke, no rear diff, no extra rear end gears, no rear end axle, and no having to turn rear axles, bearings, and tall rear tires with aggressive knobbish thread. All of these factors are why you want the low end TQ and figure out how to keep it as long as possible into the upper range.

An example, of the drivetrain loss percentages of a Honda NA high performance build : Honda S2000 240HP and actual dyno numbers from a Dynojet read 200whp @ the rear wheels. This is in a purpose built assembly. The Old School 4Runner will not be so forgiving. If this was going to be my build, I would keep it simple until the bugs are worked out. IF you are going to pull the engine apart and build it from scratch with forged pistons and rods, still I would not build it for high compression. (11.1 compression tops) with the 99mm stroke is plenty. Then look into supercharging the engine, that way you can run a stock cam and be very reliable.

I owned a supercharged K24, badass TQ delievery. I didn't have to stay in the throttle long for it to move out.
Yes, that’s why I said, I think I am just gonna stay with the stock cams. Yes I completely understand; That I am gonna lose way more power to the tire than a fwd car, especially with 37s. However compared to the 22re, the k24 should be way better. I didn’t want to run a v8 and have to upgrade the whole drive train. I already have two reduction boxes and solid axles. K24 bolts up and has good performance. Ok ust don’t understand why you think I shouldn’t bump up the compression. Higher compression should equal to more power across the board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i mainly suggested 11.1 compression because that is what they best K24 (06-08 TSX) came with stock and it is reliable on 93 octane. with this day in age and the fuel game , getting good fuel, 11.5 compression would be the highest at 93 oct. but not shitty 93 oct.

I do not see the 4 Runner running at higher speeds and high engine demands, if you want a higher compression by all means do not let me cap you. I actual be kind of cool
Yea, I see what you are saying. However this thing is pretty much a toy and I want to party. I am not to worried about fuel. I got solutions for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts