Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what would be an ideal setup to maybe hit my goal of 330's i currently own a k24k20 9th gen civic.

my plan is
dc stage 4's or elite 3.5's camshafts
87.5mm 13.5.1 compression

idk which head to go with either
156v2 or pro163 from 4piston

would like to have a nice setup like this for next year. so based on the input i get i could start gathering parts.. i am local to jbr engines so more than likely itll be a 13.5.1 kiss block.. sorry if im all over the place.. just trying to learn as i go and have a fun setup for the street..
thanks guys
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

this is my car

· Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
10,383 Posts

10,383 Posts
If you're not opposed to FI, a supercharged stock K24Z7 from a 9th gen will make that.
Those engines seems to be recognized by the aftermarket now, because they are quite cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap, aren't they?

10,383 Posts

· Super Moderator
925 Posts
Stock engine. Kit came with an intake manifold since stock is plastic. Some random aftermarket exhaust, stock downpipe. Probably been FI for ~15k miles without a single issue. Been to the same track days I have and only one of us has a running car at the moment :ROFLMAO:

10,383 Posts
Thanks for the feedback @Brotatochip.

Been to the same track days I have and only one of us has a running car at the moment
That was my first thought reading this 😆. Sorry, I hope you get the car fixed over the winter season to get it on track next season.

10,383 Posts
which makes this engine usable in any chasis
That's an interesting information, thanks! Maybe we should open a K24Z7 thread, listing all the pros and cons to that.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's an interesting information, thanks! Maybe we should open a K24Z7 thread, listing all the pros and cons to that.
Tints and shades Gas Wood Font Electric blue

this is the cover.. they have the option for a k20 head pattern or just full k24z7..
also this motor has 11.1 compression as oppused to the older k24a2 which is 10.5
biggest hurdle has always been the trigger wheel. but now that kmiata offers this cover it can be swapped..

10,383 Posts

· Registered
1,034 Posts
just wondering what would be an ideal setup to maybe hit my goal of 330's i currently own a k24k20 9th gen civic.

my plan is
dc stage 4's or elite 3.5's camshafts
87.5mm 13.5.1 compression

idk which head to go with either
156v2 or pro163 from 4piston

would like to have a nice setup like this for next year. so based on the input i get i could start gathering parts.. i am local to jbr engines so more than likely itll be a 13.5.1 kiss block.. sorry if im all over the place.. just trying to learn as i go and have a fun setup for the street..
thanks guys
View attachment 110185
this is my car
With 13.5:1 obviously you’ll be on e85 or better, an Intake manifold like a S2 ultra street with the pro156 head because that is the more streetable application, the 163 is more for drag use only and not ideal in street setups. Personally my cam choice has always been the DC4.5 when the compression is 12.5:1 or higher

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With 13.5:1 obviously you’ll be on e85 or better, an Intake manifold like a S2 ultra street with the pro156 head because that is the more streetable application, the 163 is more for drag use only and not ideal in street setups. Personally my cam choice has always been the DC4.5 when the compression is 12.5:1 or higher
so a 4.5 is streetable?? i drive my car on the weekends.. honestly its my toy.. just have heard mixed opinions on the 4.5's being streetable.. but ive seen vids of people having them on their daily and they seem fine.. so yea my plan is to run 13.5 comp block and my car already runs on e85 and i also already have a ported ultra street..

· Registered
1,034 Posts
so a 4.5 is streetable?? i drive my car on the weekends.. honestly its my toy.. just have heard mixed opinions on the 4.5's being streetable.. but ive seen vids of people having them on their daily and they seem fine.. so yea my plan is to run 13.5 comp block and my car already runs on e85 and i also already have a ported ultra street..
I used 4.5’s on my weekend car too, very streetable, the low cam is meaty, vtec did not engage until about 6000rpms but it still was making mid 200’s before vtec, what was not ideal with was 90mm tb i used but with your car being dbw i think it will be ALOT better than what i had.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used 4.5’s on my weekend car too, very streetable, the low cam is meaty, vtec did not engage until about 6000rpms but it still was making mid 200’s before vtec, what was not ideal with was 90mm tb i used but with your car being dbw i think it will be ALOT better than what i had.
i have a spoon 5.33 fd so that helps my low/mid range.. its kinda always ready to go lol.. i think having this fd would help..

10,383 Posts
so a 4.5 is streetable?
Idle's around 800-900 rpm, but has a preference to power up to 9800 rpm. That causes a bigger dip in torque, which is valid for all OG-series cams in different magnitudes. I would go with the DC OG 003.5, fits better to your setup and application. The dip in torque is system immanently lower compared to the 004.5.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Idle's around 800-900 rpm, but has a preference to power up to 9800 rpm. That causes a bigger dip in torque, which is valid for all OG-series cams in different magnitudes. I would go with the DC OG 003.5, fits better to your setup and application. The dip in torque is system immanently lower compared to the 004.5.
do you mean the dc elite 3.5's

10,383 Posts
do you mean the dc elite 3.5's
Oh, sorry, I meant the OG Series 003.2 from DC. But if you like to have a very good race cam for your setup, idle's around 1000 rpm and has a much better transition to high speed cam, look at the Elite Series 002.5. I will peak also around 9.something krpm, less punch from idle, bit more emissions around emission test areas, but great above. This is a really a nice camshaft, the RR4 from 4Piston is similar in power, but has much more wear on the valvetrain. Beside that, Skunk2 Ultra, which is my personal favorite of those 3. All of them are in the same duration-lift level, but different on performance and reliability. The 4P 163 head has very big ports, for my taste too big for your application, you would loose significantly in the street applicated torque-engine speed areas.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
Oh, sorry, I meant the OG Series 003.2 from DC. But if you like to have a very good race cam for your setup, idle's around 1000 rpm and has a much better transition to high speed cam, look at the Elite Series 002.5. I will peak also around 9.something krpm, less punch from idle, bit more emissions around emission test areas, but great above. This is a really a nice camshaft, the RR4 from 4Piston is similar in power, but has much more wear on the valvetrain. Beside that, Skunk2 Ultra, which is my personal favorite of those 3. All of them are in the same duration-lift level, but different on performance and reliability. The 4P 163 head has very big ports, for my taste too big for your application, you would loose significantly in the street applicated torque-engine speed areas.
I have the 3.2’s right now and its powerband is really to the left, it lights the tires up real quick but i think i wanna change out to the S2U2 cams next… for the OP i think that 5.3fd will be too aggressive, a 4.7 would be more ideal to take advantage

1 - 20 of 21 Posts