Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed in the first stud (one of the outter four). When i screwed in the second one (one of the inner six) i noticed that it sat lower/deeper than the first one. I screwed them in by hand and didnt want to use an allen key to force it in a bit more so i kept going on the rest. When i was finished i took a straight edge and placed it above one row of studs (intake) and the outter two studs were taller than the inner three :confused: Then i placed a staright edge on the second row of studs (exh) and the same, outter two were taller than the inner three :confused: So all outter four are a tiny bit taller than the inner six, i'd say by about a bit less than a quarter inch. Normal or not?

Heres a pic because i know it sounds confusing, the red ones sit higher than the rest.

·
Registered
373 Posts
oh chet!

so you're assembling the longblock. about time!

i've never installed head studs so i can't help you here.

free bump!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wrap a cloth around the threads and twist them in more..i had the same problem
I gave them as much as i could, there not going in any further unless i take an allen key to them. When i saw that the 4 corners sat higher, i kind of assumed it wasnt a big deal since its was the exact four corners (as in maybe its suppose to be like that) but it did seem weird...

oh chet!

so you're assembling the longblock. about time!

i've never installed head studs so i can't help you here.

free bump!
yea it is about time lol, hopefully all goes well :up:

·
Registered
417 Posts
i wanna get my block to look like that but didnt want to use high temp paint cuz im worried overtime it might start to flake off and look like shit...thanks n goodluck on ur headstuds

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wanna get my block to look like that but didnt want to use high temp paint cuz im worried overtime it might start to flake off and look like shit...thanks n goodluck on ur headstuds
Yea i went back to the shop, drank a six pack for some strength and gave them another twist. They're pretty even, enough to not worry.

Your best bet would be a wire brush and tons of brake cleaner, maybe some degreaser.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Also the studs should NOT be bottomed out, they should be hand threaded till they bottom and then backed out at least 1-2 complete turns.

and just on a comical tangent,,,,An acquaintance had called and was bitching about his engine build, he asked me to stop by his place to give him a hand,,,He was under the assumption that the studs had to be torqued down with an allen tip before adding the washers and nuts,,,,he tore up a complete set of ARP studs and several allen tips and buggered the blocks threads.............

1 - 14 of 14 Posts