Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 1 inch gsr m/c but am trying to figure out what brake line to buy. i have a 94 rs, it doesnt have abs and one line threads in and the other line is to small i need a bigger fitting on the line. i didnt know if the was a line that i could order from honda or acura that would fit.
thanks

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Re: gsr m/c

you need a 10mm to 12mm x 1.0 mm line adapter. the gsr has a bigger line for the front brakes on the master cylinder i believe.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

you need a 10mm to 12mm x 1.0 mm line adapter. the gsr has a bigger line for the front brakes on the master cylinder i believe.
im going to try and find one of these adapters. i just saw something on a differnt forum, he used a 12mm flarenut and just flared the line. but the line seems to small for that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

yeah i think im going to have to get a flarenut and reflare it. it should be easy enough.
thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
477 Posts

Hey Matt, be cautious on which brake booster you use.

If I remember correctly, the the GSR MC throw out pin sets farther out then other MC's. By roughly 1~2cm.

This caused an issue on my drag car when we took the ABS out. The brakes couldn't disengage.

This may have been due to something else entirely but we switched to the 1" ITR MC and Booster which solved this problem and I have seen this issue elsewhere as well.

Has anyone else read/experienced anything with this? Or have any other input? I never bothered looking into it more and would like to know what the root cause really was?

·
Registered
477 Posts

we screwed it all the way in. This wasn't exactly my first rodeo...

Regardless, this was the same BB and MC the car came from the factory with.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts

When talking about GSR vs. ITR MCs and booster, the year makes a big difference. All integras from 98-01 used the same booster + mc.

Hey Matt, be cautious on which brake booster you use.

If I remember correctly, the the GSR MC throw out pin sets farther out then other MC's. By roughly 1~2cm.

This caused an issue on my drag car when we took the ABS out. The brakes couldn't disengage.

This may have been due to something else entirely but we switched to the 1" ITR MC and Booster which solved this problem and I have seen this issue elsewhere as well.

Has anyone else read/experienced anything with this? Or have any other input? I never bothered looking into it more and would like to know what the root cause really was?

·
Registered
477 Posts

When talking about GSR vs. ITR MCs and booster, the year makes a big difference. All integras from 98-01 used the same booster + mc.
It's a 95. That makes sense. New ABS.

I misspoke though, I meant that the GSR booster's throw out pin was longer then expected which preloaded the MC. But perhaps the MC's piston is also more shallow as well?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It's a 95. That makes sense. New ABS.

I misspoke though, I meant that the GSR booster's throw out pin was longer then expected which preloaded the MC. But perhaps the MC's piston is also more shallow as well?
thats some good info. i have a 94 rs, i used the 94 booster, with the 95 gsr m/c. i think its the one with the push rod in the master. i cant remember, i take a look its been a while.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I was researching booster/mc's a while back. One of the things I came across was someone who found that not all boosters had the same amount of throw on the piston. So always best to match the mc + booster whenever possible to ensure you have a working combo.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i think im going to have to look in this. i read some other people doing it on honda tech and they said they just flared the line and thats the end of the post, also saw some cars in mags that all it said was they replaced with the bigger master but who knows what they didint put in the article.
thanks for all the info guys

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey i came across a abs mastercylinder/booster setup out of a 2000 ls. and i thought all the abs masters are 1 inch, correct? is there any issues using a abs master in a non abs car? i didnt think that there would be just figured i would ask.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hey Matt.

The size of the MC is cast on the side of it. My memory is getting the best of me but that should be fine.

ABS or no, the restriction would be based on the clearance/throw the MC has with the Brake Booster. After that it will be a matter of matching fluid fittings the the M/C.

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
What kind of car is this going in?

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
2000ls should be the 1" mc with 290v booster. And as midas pointed out, the size is cast into the side of the mc.

I just picked up another 1" mc/booster setup and have the adjustment tool on the way. I'll see about taking pics and hopefully we can get some useful info on that piston/rod throw issue.

I'll be swapping out the oem booster in my car which is currently mated to a 1" mc. Anybody wanna buy the extra 1" mc that I'm going to have leftover?

Here is a pic of the casting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts