Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
03 Acura RSX Type S, Stock internals, Basic bolt ons, kpro 4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped the oil pan to inspect a few things and noticed this pretty significant gouge in cylinder 3 area where the thrust washer is (closer to trans). There was also some pretty decent gouges on the face of the rod bore on cylinder 4, also closest to the trans. both thrust washers in tact. Oil was changed 200 miles ago so no signs of glitter. Zero metal in the oil pan. About to do end play test, is crankwalk a thing on an all stock K20A2? She's got 220k, I will be replacing the rod bearings while I'm in there with ACL.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 EG Hatch
46 Posts
Are you talking about the area in the red circle below? If yes, I would have zero concern as this is just a portion of the crank case and there is no portion of the rotating assembly that contacts this area.

Grey Automotive design Personal protective equipment Auto part Metal

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the area in the red circle below? If yes, I would have zero concern as this is just a portion of the crank case and there is no portion of the rotating assembly that contacts this area.

View attachment 107173
Yes. Ok that's a relief. I am curious as to why it's there though. I'm the first one that's been in there AFAIK. Also, rod cap number four was a little crunchy to pull out. Good size gouges on the face, and not in a rotational pattern...Any insight? Hell, I may have even done it when I pulled the cap off, it was pretty damn tight. I appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Honda blocks and cylinder heads usually have a fair bit of casting imperfections. It’s possible that happened long before the engine was ever ran 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have any pictures of this?
I will pull the caps on sat afternoon and post em here. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any pictures of this?
I'm almost certain i did it when i first pulled the caps. Damn near fell over once it finally came out. Finishing up the work tomorrow... I'll post up some rod bearing pics to show what high mileage plus low oil pressure can do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts