Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

521 - 533 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
More cases here, Stage 1 and 2 cams blowing up aftermarket tensioners.
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102957
lol in that case i guarantee you it's the tensioner. i had 2 customers that had hybrid tensioners go bad. one was on a set of skunk2 stage 2 version 3 and another was on a set of drag cartel cams.

i've always recommended oem honda tensioners. honda revised them again a few years ago and i've yet to have a problem with them.

·
Registered
4,294,967,294 Posts
lol in that case i guarantee you it's the tensioner. i had 2 customers that had hybrid tensioners go bad. one was on a set of skunk2 stage 2 version 3 and another was on a set of drag cartel cams.

i've always recommended oem honda tensioners. honda revised them again a few years ago and i've yet to have a problem with them.
Doesn't matter if it is an OEM tensioner, or an aftermarket. If the cams are decent, they shouldn't be destroying them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Doesn't matter if it is an OEM tensioner, or an aftermarket. If the cams are decent, they shouldn't be destroying them.
i'm telling you it has nothing to do with the cams. the design of the hybrid tensioner just isn't all that great. they have re-designed these tensioners multiplie times.

i had another local tuner that had a hybrid tensioner go bad on a set of ips kme's.

so now you're going to tell me that ips cams aren't decent?

·
Registered
4,294,967,294 Posts
i'm telling you it has nothing to do with the cams. the design of the hybrid tensioner just isn't all that great. they have re-designed these tensioners multiplie times.

i had another local tuner that had a hybrid tensioner go bad on a set of ips kme's.

so now you're going to tell me that ips cams aren't decent?
Show me a video of KMEs w/the chain slap that the Skunk2 cams exhibit.

·
Registered
4,294,967,294 Posts
The chain slap is due to a geometry problem in the cam design. It is very simple to understand, but the implications are not.

If the lobes are off on these cams, then the cylinder/cylinder filling is different as well. This affects balance, harmonics, and cyl/cyl tolerances. It is the main reason that these cams can NOT perform on the same level as those with proper lobe design.

Ask anyone that understands how bearing clearances are spec'd for the mains, or how our of round geometry for the rotating assembly, and any other engine design criteria that is taken into account for balance and lack of frictional losses, are affected by this poor design.

I am not talking shit here to just piss off a company, and I know you are not stupid. You know there is a problem with these cams. I just want to ensure that people understand that this problem can have many consequences irregardless of what 'band-aids' they install or tune to run them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Show me a video of KMEs w/the chain slap that the Skunk2 cams exhibit.
:facepalm:

again. the hybrid tensioners failing has nothing to do with the design of the cams. why is it that i never have problems with oem tensioners even with skunk2 cams?

you're just using skunk2 cams as a scapegoat. like i said previously i've seen these tensioners fail with multiple camshafts out there, not just skunk2.

·
Registered
4,294,967,294 Posts
:facepalm:

again. the hybrid tensioners failing has nothing to do with the design of the cams. why is it that i never have problems with oem tensioners even with skunk2 cams?

you're just using skunk2 cams as a scapegoat. like i said previously i've seen these tensioners fail with multiple camshafts out there, not just skunk2.
Tell them to post it up.

This thread is about chain slap, and issues with Skunk2 cams.

If you have a problem with the Hybrid tensioners, bring it up in the other thread that is directed toward their product.

·
Registered
636 Posts
ok so heres a stupid question, just figured i'd ask after going through this whole thread, what if you use a softer/or stiffer valvespring on the exhaust side to make up for the faster closing exhaust ramps? could that be a fix?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm running skunk stage 2 now with chain slap 800 miles into Re-build brand new chain,guides, and tensioner honda got code p0341. Never again skunk2 cams

·
Registered
494 Posts
^^ saw this last old ass post that needed attention.. resolution for next man:shades: should of preloaded tensioner and dropped low cam angle to 0* till chain slap goes away...

521 - 533 of 533 Posts