Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I know a lot of people make these threads and a lot of people will say use search, and I have. I've definitely read on qualities of the kits i'm looking at and seen a lot of people's experiences, but I still have some nagging questions, because I gotta make a choice between supercharger, turbo, or franky. My car is a k20z1 and i'm looking to get somewhere between 300-400whp. I know right away people will say to eliminate the s/c because it's extremely difficult to break that barrier but if i were to go s/c my ultimate goal would be franking down the road (many of my friends currently drive accords and tsxs so imma have to plant some cows in the neighborhood soon). With that said I currently only have the budget to do one.

What makes this not so clear cut simply by reading forum posts is that I have details I kind of want people to look at. I'm buying used, because I can get higher performing set ups + extras for less than simply going all new (CTSC is 4.6k shipped to my door when i can get a turbo for less than that).

Basically I'm going to have a fancy DD, that will occasionally see the track, but mostly straight line races (not so often either) and very easy going driving. I also want to have some response on the throttle, which is why i ask for opinion on the two turbo set ups i past below; i know the peakboost will spool faster but i dont' really understand how much faster and what the driving differences will be like compared to the AFI kit. The AFI has a larger turbo from what i understand and will spool a little slower but i guess my question is will throttle response be a lot different (in what way) and how I would need to compensate for slower spooling (from what i've read up shifting is asking to die)?

I take very good care of my car and have basically whored out the warranty to the maximum amount (thank you mom and dad for my warranty whoring genes). I've pasted below sort of my cost lists, which includes essentially the stuff I think I need to buy to get it running and to make it stable.

My power goals, as said, are somewhere between 300-400. I'd prefer near 350-400 but I seek a reliable set up that can drive in SoCal on 91 octane. methanol will come in, but not right away.

I hope the community doesn't decide to lynch me for starting another thread like this :(.

BTW I have no clue what labor and tuning fees to expect. I'm planning to take it to a pro tuner because the last thing I want is to get this installed right and then mess it up because i invited the detonation fairy over for tea.

Here is my cost analysis:
Peakboost
3800 turbo (gt3076r)+175 exhaust +76 boost controller + 91 fuel pump + 300 injectors + 300 RBC manifold (required)+ 120 (studs for injectors, oil feeds and coolant lines the guy told me are missing)+1300 kpro and o2 sensor

AFI
3200 turbo (gt37r)+175 exhaust +76 boost controller + 91 fuel pump + 300 injectors+1300kpro and o2 sensor

Supercharger
3,200 supercharger (JRSC, BCRH, and injectors and shipping)+ 1300kpro and o2 sensor

Alternatives:

Built block
3,250 k24 block (Niko's built with top of the line parts + shipping) + 1300 kpro and o2 sensor.

TSX block (am doing more research, completely stock)
2,500 motor + ~500-1000 modifications (fitment issues? + upping compression) +1300 kpro

·
Banned
812 Posts
I went with full race. If you interested, PM me and I can get you in touch with Eric. He is a great guy and can help you along the way.

Full-Race is the only way to go!!! :dance:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah problem is a FR new kit costs like 6-8k for just the kit if I want it new. The peakboost and AFI, while of lesser quality, are still very good kits with very respectable power outputs if done correctly.

Does anyone have input on the parts I've listed to buy? Anything else you guys can think of to make this set up more reliable and less prone to problems? obviously going turbo will present problems later but if I do the installation right the first time and take care of it these problems will come much later, save me money, and with luck not at all.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
434 Posts
yeah problem is a FR new kit costs like 6-8k for just the kit if I want it new. The peakboost and AFI, while of lesser quality, are still very good kits with very respectable power outputs if done correctly.

Does anyone have input on the parts I've listed to buy? Anything else you guys can think of to make this set up more reliable and less prone to problems? obviously going turbo will present problems later but if I do the installation right the first time and take care of it these problems will come much later, save me money, and with luck not at all.

Thanks guys!
WRONG!!!! :down: there both just as good, they just don't charge for there name, BTW AFI is a branch off of FR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yay someone who doesn't think AFI is lesser quality. While I agree AFI is a very high quality kit, I know the materials they use don't match up. The skill levels of their fabricators/welders (who are great and very cool, btw. master fab from peakboost originally worked for AFI, i believe, or the other way around) are limited by the materials they use. not saying afi sucks, it's very good, just saying quality of material is not the same. In any case it's more between AFI and the supercharger, as the peakboost's price is way to steep for the lesser performance and power gains compared to the AFI (woot).

I'm not a particularly good grease monkey, and my experience has been limited to oil changes, doing my intake, and changing my exhaust. In all likelihood I would be too scared of messing something up without a skilled mechanic nearby to help me check for problems so I am hoping I can get all the safety precaution parts put in and maintain good enough habits to prevent major problems and catch minor problems early enough to minimize cost of maintenance. I take very good care of my car and am definitely willing to learn anything within my ability to do so.

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
I have ran & purchased 2 AFI turbo setups. And I have my own tig, and have done welding and fabrication for 3 years everyday for a huge company. I have built 2 manifolds for other people, and still have afi build stuff for me. They just finished up a manifold for my evo. To say that they have a lesser quality of parts is not true at all. Full-race and AFI are within 5 minutes of eachother, Im almost positive they get their supplies from the same companies. If I was you I would buy the AFI setup. You can say Im partial to them for the fact that I have bought so much stuff from them. But I have had no issues and enjoy everything that comes from them. I even just bought an intake manifold for my evo, and just sold my intake manifold that was on my k series. Quality products at an affordable price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mm i definitely don't have as much experience and I also think AFI comes with great quality for the price it comes with. My question though is still the maintenance and all the stuff i've said before. I have no doubts AFI would serve me well but I am worried about what will break down and all that.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What car is this going into? If you want anything near 400whp then forget about N/A or SC. If you can settle for 300whp then SC is the way to go. Install is simple and you should be able to do it yourself. Please don't pay a shop to do it unless you are confident you can fix something if the need ever arises.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I would like 400whp or so, but if it's going to come at too high of a cost to be worth it then I'll settle for an s/c. Why shouldn't I pay a shop to do it? I can handle basic maintenance via learning but the actual installation is a step above. I would want someone with years of experience doing it versus me, someone who is overconfident in his abilities.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
well I would like 400whp or so, but if it's going to come at too high of a cost to be worth it then I'll settle for an s/c. Why shouldn't I pay a shop to do it? I can handle basic maintenance via learning but the actual installation is a step above. I would want someone with years of experience doing it versus me, someone who is overconfident in his abilities.
I just believe in the motto if you want something done right do it yourself. If plan on building a 400whp car you should be able to do a bulk of the work yourself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just believe in the motto if you want something done right do it yourself. If plan on building a 400whp car you should be able to do a bulk of the work yourself.
Damn i couldnt say that any better. just take your time and as you doing the work ask questions on here. there are alot of people that can assist you. and you save money like this.:up:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Save the money and go log manifold then if you don't want a huge $ on a kit. Doesn't FR robotic tig all their manifolds tho?

350-400 you can do on a k20/k24 with forged pistons and nitrous. Something n/a with like 250-260whp + 125 shot, should be easily high 300s tq too.

·
Premium Member
44,711 Posts
350-400 you can do on a k20/k24 with forged pistons and nitrous. Something n/a with like 250-260whp + 125 shot, should be easily high 300s tq too.
Bingo!
You will not get better throttle response than All Motor.
It is also the simplest setup, and most ideal for a daily driven vehicle.
If you plan to hit the track once or twice a year, and want to womp on a Z06 when you can, go with Nikos block and add the nitrous.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Bingo!
You will not get better throttle response than All Motor.
It is also the simplest setup, and most ideal for a daily driven vehicle.
If you plan to hit the track once or twice a year, and want to womp on a Z06 when you can, go with Nikos block and add the nitrous.
125 on a stock block can take a Z practically :p I'm 1 1/2 - 2 cars behind my buddies c6 z from a 40-120 roll only on 100 shot.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You can squeeze 300whp+ out of a stock block on a good tune. So if you're happy with that you can just get a dry kit or direct port, injectors, fuel pump, kpro. See how you like it if you want more just sell the kit and go turbo. If you really know you want 400+ just go turbo know I should have :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts