Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm looking at getting a Koni/GC combo and when looking at the GC website realized I have no idea what I'm looking at. Its listed as GC180.64.44 (7/2.5"/250 lbs). I assume the first part is just part number but the part thats in the parenthasis, the last is spring rate and second is spring height according to what my friend said, but neither of us had any idea what the first number is. I did the calculations in my head and the the spring rate came out to just over 11 if I'm correct. Also what spring rate would you recomend for a DD that will see some track use, would like it to be a semi comfortalbe ride without seeing to terribly much body roll when driving hard.
Any and all help is much appriciated.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
spring height, spring diameter, spring rate.

height is there for different setups, if u get one too short u increase risk of blowing out the shock

spring diameter is also for different coilover sleeves/perches or shock sleeves in general.

spring rate is personal preference, not all setups work for every driver. Some like stiffer rear and softer front (usually draggers wanting to keep weight shifted forward) and others vice versa to control body roll, turn in etc.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok cool, I will probably go with like a 12 front and 10 rear then, this is my first car and it came with skunk 2 coilovers and tokiko shocks, have never really messed with the suspension at all so am trying to learn it

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
spring height, spring diameter, spring rate.

height is there for different setups, if u get one too short u increase risk of blowing out the shock

spring diameter is also for different coilover sleeves/perches or shock sleeves in general.

spring rate is personal preference, not all setups work for every driver. Some like stiffer rear and softer front (usually draggers wanting to keep weight shifted forward) and others vice versa to control body roll, turn in etc.
agreed.

Just to make it clear, dragger like the rear stiffer. So when they launch, not all the weight will transfer to the rear

BTW, I have the Koni/GC with f/500 and r/550 on my ef8

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah but thats chasis is a ton lighter then my DC2, but what is that like 22.7 and 25.0? sorry i dont know lbs rates that much, always heard it in kilograms.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Spring Rate
kg/mm 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28

lb/in 168 225 281 337 393 450 506 564 674 787 899 1012 1124 1232 1344 1456 1568

each ones corresponds with the other. 3kg/mm=168lb/in etc.

OR 1kg/mm = 56lb/in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts