Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys so i have absolutely no problems starting the car when its warm. after about a week in the cold and sitting in the garage, when i go and start it, the starter makes a noise and sounds like when u try to start the car after its already started. like a grind and a whine noise at the same time. is somethin wrong or is it just the motor and starter are cold and not warmed up? someone help so i know if i need to change the starter out or not. thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it starts up just fine.like the engine cranks and starts but right at the moment it starts, it makes that kind of grinding noise like i turned it over after it was started.but i dont hold the key long enough to make the noise.do i need to change the starter or wat? somebody help!! thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
the bendix should retract right after the key is let off after the engine is turned over. possibly there is moisture or dirt/debris that is slowing down the return of the bendix.

·
Registered
151 Posts
the bendix should retract right after the key is let off after the engine is turned over. possibly there is moisture or dirt/debris that is slowing down the return of the bendix.
Exactly, my g/f's ep3 has the exact same problem. You have to remove the starter and give it a clean. Apparently it's a pita of a job as the starter is hard to get to - lots of things to remove that are in the way.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so wat exactly do i clean off? do i just spray it off with an air hose? or do i need to actually get in there and do whatever?do i need grease it up or anything?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not 100% sure. I asked my local shop the other day and they mentioned something about a build up of gunk in the clutch casing. I didn't catch everything he said - the mechanic is australian and speaks really quickly. He went on to say that it's hard to get to and you have to remove the I.M. to get to the starter.

Hope I'm not confusing you more - I'll be visiting the shop tomorrow so I will ask again - and pay attention this time! :eek:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks man.the starter isnt too bad. i just need to know exactly what to clean so i dont clean the wrong part and have it keep happening. thanks for your help man.

·
I don't know
2,931 Posts
you can remove the starter motor and and see if there is any grease build up in the boot. The area you want to clean is the area with the teeth that come in contact with the flywheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts