Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to make 300whp n/a.

What list of parts I should get that are of great quality?

I have a k20ar

what kind of 1/4 mile times should i see

i have a 00 honda civic si

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wont find many 2.0L's making that kind of power. Mainly because of most peoples budgets.... you'll find it more common w/ High Compression, Cammed 2.4L's

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have a Kraftwerks Supercharged K20A2 (7 psi) in a 97 Civic HB... it makes 327 hp/ 210 lb. ft. I am a shitty drag-racer and I still managed to get my car into the 11's

It's a daily driver and has all the interior... well maybe not full interior. Missing the rear plastic interior panels.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
any all motor with that kind of na power is not going to be very streetable, you need to look at other options or just lower your horsepower goal
I completely disagree... what may be streetable to him may not be streetable to you, but thats not to say he cant make 295-300 hp and daily drive it. I've had a combo that made 285 hp with many things not done.

Only reason why that motor is not with us today... CP Pistons w/ the wrong valve pocket angel and my stupidity (not checking V2P).

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
If you want to use the OEM k20aR block and make real 300whp, it is not going to happen.

If you have a large enough budget, making 300whp on a k20a block is more then possible but a lof of parts have to change including the 86mm stroke.

If you want to keep it a 2 liter and use the 86mm crank, then it is going to be really hard because it is going to have to be revved high and make usuable power after 9000rpm.

Streetable is subjective I agree.

It makes more sense to buy a k24a block, put some pistons and rods in it and slap a k20a head on top of it.

The cost for pistons and rods should be around $650...

Anothing thing to note is your weight at 2600 lbs... What car is this exactly?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want to use the OEM k20aR block and make real 300whp, it is not going to happen.

If you have a large enough budget, making 300whp on a k20a block is more then possible but a lof of parts have to change including the 86mm stroke.

If you want to keep it a 2 liter and use the 86mm crank, then it is going to be really hard because it is going to have to be revved high and make usuable power after 9000rpm.

Streetable is subjective I agree.

It makes more sense to buy a k24a block, put some pistons and rods in it and slap a k20a head on top of it.

The cost for pistons and rods should be around $650...

Anothing thing to note is your weight at 2600 lbs... What car is this exactly?
the car is 00 honda civic si

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Try to answer the following questions

Do you have a budget?

can you do engine work?

Do you have a local machine shop that you can trust?

What are u using the car for?

What kind of gas do you want to be able to run?

Is there a reason why you want to stay with a 2liter?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Do you have a budget?

can you do engine work?

Do you have a local machine shop that you can trust?

What are u using the car for?

What kind of gas do you want to be able to run?

Is there a reason why you want to stay with a 2liter?

Do you have a budget? no

can you do engine work? yes

Do you have a local machine shop that you can trust? yes

What are u using the car for? daily/street racing

What kind of gas do you want to be able to run? 93 with octane booster

Is there a reason why you want to stay with a 2liter? i want to keep the motor original, i can buy a block if he leads to that

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Cool, roughly you have a few choices

1)get a rbc and some cams for your k20a with a good head and make around 230 whp, maybe more or less depending on the tuning, dyno, header and type of cams.. but that;s about it.. maybe 240whp dynojet tops

2)pull the block out, replace pistons and rods with 12.5 compression and continue with option 1. That will give you another 10whp... Stroke your 86mm crank to 88,5mm and use custom pistons to make up the difference in stroke.. that will give you another 10-20whp... so we are at around 240-260 area now depending on peripherals...

3)replace stock 86mm crank with a bigger crank like 90.7mm s2000 crank or a billet crank 92mm etc.. with custom pistons and rods... now you can make more power and still keep the original k20a block... but bore is going to be limited using the stock sleeves.. so maybe 260-270whp Assuming you are using cams, rbc etc and a nice header... To get that setup to 300whp would be possible with a really nice ported head and top notch parts... possible 89mm pistons and sleeves would be needed to reach actual 300whp SAE.

4)ditch the k20 block and get a k24a block with some 12.5 or 13.7 compression pistons and rods. Slap the k20a type r head on top with type r cams, and you are already at 250whp.... user some good cams and you can take this to 275whp with a good header and tuning.., 300whp is possible with a ported head and race gas...maybe more or less.,. I am generalizing pretty heavily here but I want to give you an idea how the extra 400cc of discplacement makes it easier to get closer to the magic 300whp where the car will go back to the future! :p

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

1)get a rbc and some cams for your k20a with a good head and make around 230 whp, maybe more or less depending on the tuning, dyno, header and type of cams.. but that;s about it.. maybe 240whp dynojet tops

2)pull the block out, replace pistons and rods with 12.5 compression and continue with option 1. That will give you another 10whp... Stroke your 86mm crank to 88,5mm and use custom pistons to make up the difference in stroke.. that will give you another 10-20whp... so we are at around 240-260 area now depending on peripherals...

3)replace stock 86mm crank with a bigger crank like 90.7mm s2000 crank or a billet crank 92mm etc.. with custom pistons and rods... now you can make more power and still keep the original k20a block... but bore is going to be limited using the stock sleeves.. so maybe 260-270whp Assuming you are using cams, rbc etc and a nice header... To get that setup to 300whp would be possible with a really nice ported head and top notch parts... possible 89mm pistons and sleeves would be needed to reach actual 300whp SAE.

4)ditch the k20 block and get a k24a block with some 12.5 or 13.7 compression pistons and rods. Slap the k20a type r head on top with type r cams, and you are already at 250whp.... user some good cams and you can take this to 275whp with a good header and tuning.., 300whp is possible with a ported head and race gas...maybe more or less.,. I am generalizing pretty heavily here but I want to give you an idea how the extra 400cc of discplacement makes it easier to get closer to the magic 300whp where the car will go back to the future! :p
thanks man, k24a block is a jdm block out of what?

engine specs would be nice:

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
k24a block can be found on american accords, elements, crv, tsx.... from 2003+

I sell them for $1000 shipped complete motors because you are going to need the chain cover, tensioners, guides, sensors, etc... so slap the k20a r head on top of it.

Check out my thread here http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36856 to see what you need exactly...

I will post a few dynos to show you the difference between k20a with cams vs k24a with cams....

·
Registered
49 Posts

for option three is there a kit out there or is that all custom. the 90 or 92 mm crank. with pistons and rods.

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
Yes for the K24 block. Have it re sleeved and decked (ERL performance) so the block will not be the weak link in your build. It'll cost more to begin with but the reassurance of reliability will be worth it! Be sure to start a build thread. GL!

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
for option three is there a kit out there or is that all custom. the 90 or 92 mm crank. with pistons and rods.
I believe Brian Crower sells a 92mm billet stroker kit, with a crank rods and I think they offer the pistons as well... not to sure about the pistons though

·
Registered
672 Posts
I believe Brian Crower sells a 92mm billet stroker kit, with a crank rods and I think they offer the pistons as well... not to sure about the pistons though
I think they come with CP forged pistons.

No one's going to link him to IPS preliminary mark 3 cams thread? Closest to 300whp (well on a dynapack, please don't correct me with its hub hp yes yes I know) 2.0L yet right? http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48659

·
Registered
49 Posts
if i get that kit but only bump the bore a little will i still see good gains.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts