Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i finally got the motor running again (after 2 months being down) and got it driving. I was getting cut by k-pro's lean protection (set at 13.2 a/f with 2 psi) from 4-5k WOT. Partial throttle drives fine.

So after talking with Shawn Church, i proceeded to do some street tuning. I first added 10% to those areas and datalogged. no change, still got cut. I then added 20% more fuel, and no change.

I came to the garage, took the hose off the fuel pressure regulator and ran water through it while off the car to make sure its not clogged. Everything was fine, no cracks on that hose.

What could the problem be? Fuel pressure regulator not doing its job?

Looking for knowledgeble answers

Mikey

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
iwilson said:
Silly question, but I presume you're adding fuel to the correct part of the table i.e. at the cam angle it's leaning out in.
I've tuned 4 cars on the road and im pretty good at it. So yes, i am putting it in the right cam angle

I open the datalog up, open the sensors table while the graph is open, i check the cam angle. If it says 24 degrees at 2 psi, i make adjustments to 20 and 30 degree maps columns 10 and 11 (i even adjust 9 to make it smoother)

Mikey

·
Registered
185 Posts
HardcoreRsxS said:
I've tuned 4 cars on the road and im pretty good at it. So yes, i am putting it in the right cam angle
Mikey
Hence the reason I though it could be a silly question :D It's just physic's at the end of the day. So if you're making adjustments and not seeing an improvement I'd be checking the fuel pressure to make sure the pump is up to the task.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iwilson said:
Hence the reason I though it could be a silly question :D It's just physic's at the end of the day. So if you're making adjustments and not seeing an improvement I'd be checking the fuel pressure to make sure the pump is up to the task.
I'm definitely going to check to intank fuel pump. I might just ditch the inline fuel pump as it does not flow as much as the walbro

Mikey

·
Registered
185 Posts
I run a swirl pot on my setup. The intank pump fills the swirl pot and the excess returns to the tank. The inline pump draws from the swirl pot and the return goes back into the swirl pot. Note this is not an RSX, but a K20A mounted in a Lotus Elise - so not sure if you use a return line.

Photo below

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok just pulled the intank fuel pump and my custom fuel line is still in tact and there were no holes or anything.

On the other hand, since it said in the helms to relieve fuel pressure via taking off the fuel cap, I did. What do i know the fuel cap is fully loose.

I have yet to drive it but i want to get someone elses opinion and see if the fuel cap being loose has anything to do with it. Don't forget the car ran fine under partial throttle

Thanks

Mikey

·
GoldStar
2,657 Posts
i'm not positive about the kpro but i'm sure that you can get a check engine light if your fuel cap is loose with a stock ecu.
i also have a friend that had the same problem you are having. he was running a stock eg fuel pump. he replaced it with a walbro and it runs like a camp now.
but your running boost. it would be funny if the fuel cap is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
98specR said:
i'm not positive about the kpro but i'm sure that you can get a check engine light if your fuel cap is loose with a stock ecu.
i also have a friend that had the same problem you are having. he was running a stock eg fuel pump. he replaced it with a walbro and it runs like a camp now.
but your running boost. it would be funny if the fuel cap is the culprit.
You ready to laugh? Fuel Cap was the culprit. The reason I didn't get any cel was because my ob2 function is turned off via kpro.

Car runs leaner then I want it, so couple of street tunes should get the a/f back down

Mikey

·
Registered
25 Posts
98specR said:
but your running boost. it would be funny if the fuel cap is the culprit.[/QUOTY

Yes most stock ecu's will give you a check engine light if your feul cap is loose or untightend. You have to hear the 3 clicks to know that it's fully closed. I'm pretty sure its because there is a pressure sensor inside the tank that measures the ambient temp outside and the temp in the tank and if it doesnt read the right pressure it will light up the check enigne.

·
GoldStar
2,657 Posts
HardcoreRsxS said:
You ready to laugh? Fuel Cap was the culprit. The reason I didn't get any cel was because my ob2 function is turned off via kpro.

Car runs leaner then I want it, so couple of street tunes should get the a/f back down

Mikey
LOL :hammer: :p :silly:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.