Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does anyone have a fuel cell in an em2? i want to get one but im not sure of how to mount it.... pics would be cool! thanks

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
The spare tire well is the usual place for one in any civic or integra. Its not really that great if you are going to use ti on your daily though man, unless you make a filler neck that goes from the exterior to the fuel cell. I was gonna do a fuel cell in my EK but decided against it just because of potential problems and because the price of a good fuel cell is quite high.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i was planning on makeing a filler neck... but dp you know what people usually use for a sending unit for fuel level?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cuz i run the car low on gas becouse i like how it drives and ive been haveing a problem with it running out of gas on exits and sharp turns... plus it seems safer than the stock tank...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
for fuel level sending unit, you'll probably be using an ATL unit. that's what i'm using. you'll have to get a honda resistance unit. if it's just exits and sharp turns, you might want to consider keeping the stock tank and sumping it to a collector.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol yea... it feels heavy when the tank is full... and i say its safer cuz when i crashed my first car (an older porsche) the gas tank cracked open and spilled gas for about 100 feet...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone know if i will have any problems with the battery being in the truck with the fuel cell with raceing rules?

·
K24 USDM EG
26,856 Posts
cuz i run the car low on gas becouse i like how it drives and ive been haveing a problem with it running out of gas on exits and sharp turns... plus it seems safer than the stock tank...
when gauge gets down to a 1/4 then put gas in it. problem solved.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
wats the purpose of getting a fuel cell if ur getting one that almost the same size as the stock one?

usually the purpose of running a fuel cell is so u only run the amount of gas for a days worth of runs. give or take.. but it aint safer cause now the tank is sitting inside of the car which makes it vunerable to emitting fumes inside the car.. simialr to how car batteries sit in the trunk has to be in a sealed box with a vent to the outside.

a couple of notes that i might want to add is if ur ever planning to run in any events that follow the nhra ruling ur gona have to put ur stock fuel tank back in.. nhra states in most fwd classes

FUEL SYSTEM:
Fuel cell prohibited. OEM fuel tank mandatory. No other container,
fuel cell, bottle, etc. may contain any type of fuel. See Section 4
and General Regulations 1:5

also in the area i live in a daily driven car with a fuel cell in it will not pass for registration. car has to be registered as a non-daily driven car and so forth. u might want to find out about that in ur area

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wats the purpose of getting a fuel cell if ur getting one that almost the same size as the stock one?

usually the purpose of running a fuel cell is so u only run the amount of gas for a days worth of runs. give or take.. but it aint safer cause now the tank is sitting inside of the car which makes it vunerable to emitting fumes inside the car.. simialr to how car batteries sit in the trunk has to be in a sealed box with a vent to the outside.

a couple of notes that i might want to add is if ur ever planning to run in any events that follow the nhra ruling ur gona have to put ur stock fuel tank back in.. nhra states in most fwd classes

FUEL SYSTEM:
Fuel cell prohibited. OEM fuel tank mandatory. No other container,
fuel cell, bottle, etc. may contain any type of fuel. See Section 4
and General Regulations 1:5

also in the area i live in a daily driven car with a fuel cell in it will not pass for registration. car has to be registered as a non-daily driven car and so forth. u might want to find out about that in ur area
well the hole reason im switching to the fuel cel is to stop the fel from sloshing around the tank... if you compare the area of the fuel cell to the area of the tank. the cell is smaller so haveing one gallon in the tank will mean the fuel is 1 inch deep rather than 1/2 inch deep ( i dont know the real number but you get the idea?) plus the fuel cell has a sump and is baffled on the inside. i got the ten gallon cuz i want to be able to drive it far but still do some spirited driveing once i get there with it on the more empty side... im not too worried about passing emmisions or registration becouse the car already has tons of things to prevent it from gettin it.

i am kind of disapointed to hear that it is against nhra rules to use a fuel cell. i tryed to look it up but found nothing so i asumed itd be fine. is there a different class i could enter in that would allow it?

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
well here is the general rules on the fuel setup for nhra

1:5 FUEL SYSTEMS
Location: All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc. must be outside
of the driver’s compartment and within the confines of the frame
and/or steel body. Cool cans, fuel-distribution blocks, etc. must be
located at least 6 inches forward of the flywheel/bellhousing area
on rear-wheel-drive (RWD) cars, and on opposite side of
flywheel/bellhousing area on front-wheel-drive (FWD) cars. Fuelpressure-
gauge isolators, with steel-braided line, may be mounted
on firewall.

Tanks: When permitted by class regulations, fuel tanks located
outside body and/or frame must be enclosed in a steel tube frame
constructed of minimum 1 1/4-inch O.D. x .065-inch chrome moly
or .118-inch mild-steel tubing. All fuel tanks must be isolated from
the driver’s compartment by a firewall, completely sealed to
prevent any fuel from entering the driver’s compartment. All fuel
tanks must have a pressure cap and be vented outside of car
body. A positive-locking screw-on fuel-tank cap is mandatory on all
cars. Insulated fuel tanks prohibited. When used, fuel cells must
have a metal box protecting the part of the fuel cell that is outside
of body lines or trunk floor, excluding hose-connection area in rear.
Non-metallic fuel cells or tanks must be grounded to frame.

Lines: All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or datarecorder
lines) must be metallic, steel-braided or NHRA-accepted
“woven or woven-pushlock.” A maximum of 12 inches total (front to
rear) of non-metallic or non-steel-braided hose is permitted for
connection purposes only; individual injector-nozzle fuel lines are
excluded. Fuel lines (except steel-braided lines) in the
flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch length of
steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness, securely mounted
as a protection against fuel-line rupture. Fuel lines may not be
routed in the driveshaft tunnel. NHRA-accepted woven or wovenpushlock
fuel lines: Aeroquip FC300, FC332; Aeroquip Star Lite
200; AQP Socketless; Dayco Imperial Nylo-seal tubing; Earl’s
Prolite; Fragola Performance System Series 8000 Push-Lite Race
Hose; Gates LOL Plus; Goodridge 526; Goodridge 710; Russell
Twist-Loc 836 and XRP HS-79. Contact NHRA for updates.

it looks like u can race in bracket racing cause theres very few restrictions on that class... which is basically for fun

anything "street stock" class or higher u need the oem tank.. im just kinda skimming through the rule book

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok cool thanks alot for the info! can you send the link for the rule book or let me know were your finding this?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so now that i have the cell could anyone let me know if i have to cut a hole in the floor of my trunk big enough for jus the sump or does it have to be big enough to fit the entire tank into it? i thought i would only have to do it for the sump but the mounting tabs are not welded flush with the bottom of the cell...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts