Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i started my flywheel install tonight (havn't tourqed down the bolts yet) and i have some questions.....

1) are the teeth from the flywheel and these other teeth supposed to interlock or not? if so, why dont mine interlock?

2)am i missing the pilot bushing? i dont think its there but im not 100% sure what im looking for......if i am missing it where can i get one? and will i have to take the flywheel off again to install it? how do you install a pilot bushing?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
out of the 58 people viewing.....someone has done a flywheel install and knows the answers.....come on peeps

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
The Flywheel is installed correctly.. When you attempt to start the car, the starter will come out and the teeth will then interlock and rotate the flywheel to start the car... It's fine.

The Pilot Bearing goes in the center of the flywheel the way it is now.. You dont have to take it back off in order to install it. Although it is not required, it is recommended.. If you can find one, then put it on. However if you cannot find one for some reason, then you can proceed without it. It's not a matter of life and death.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you so much for your help.....one more quick question......is there anyway to keep the flywheel from moving when tightening the bolts without using that special 50mm crankshaft pulley tool?

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
Not really.. Unless you were to find something that you can stick in one of those holes and hold it... I take it you are not using an air compressor to tighten the bolts...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really.. Unless you were to find something that you can stick in one of those holes and hold it... I take it you are not using an air compressor to tighten the bolts...
no....why should i? im just using a tourqe wrench and i will tighten them to 90 ft lbs....thats what the helms i downloaded says

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
no....why should i? im just using a tourqe wrench and i will tighten them to 90 ft lbs....thats what the helms i downloaded says
Just follow the correct procedure in the helms. Since you using an aftermarket flywheel that has holes on the outer edge, take a 1/2 inch extension and put it through where the starter is, then put it through the flywheel hole to hold the flywheel. BUT before that tighten all the bolts down in sequence 10lb at a time or so, only use the method above when all the bolts are torqued down a decent amount.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just follow the correct procedure in the helms. Since you using an aftermarket flywheel that has holes on the outer edge, take a 1/2 inch extension and put it through where the starter is, then put it through the flywheel hole to hold the flywheel. BUT before that tighten all the bolts down in sequence 10lb at a time or so, only use the method above when all the bolts are torqued down a decent amount.
thanks for the idea:silly:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
yeah please dont use an impact.. your asking to warp the flywheel doing that. Never good to install anything with an impact.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Or just have someone hold a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley while u tighten the flywheel bolts...works all the time...if the breaker bar is long enough to jam against the floor while it's on the crank pulley u can do it yourself. The extension trick works aswell tho. I was jus mentioning another way

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
Not telling you to do it, but ive used an impact a few times on flywheels that I have installed or removed and Ive never had a problem.... Again...Not telling you to do it, just sharing my experience... Sometimes you WILL need it for stubborn flywheel bolts..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So where did you buy the DC5R flywheel from? And how much wa$ it? :eek::eek::eek:
its not a DC5R flywheel, i got my k20a CTR swap without a clutch and flywheel.....so i bought this lightweight flywheel and clutch for i believe roughly 400 for the two, they're both F1 Racing, the clutch is stage 2, i know......cheap and not name brand, but i did my research and alot of people said nothing but good things about the setup for the price, and no one has said anything about problems with it, so we will see:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts