Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know a lot of people opt for a lightweight flywheel, but in a K24/20 build is it better to use a heavier flywheel to smooth the engine out?

And, which OEM flywheels would work using the DC5R gearbox?
At this stage I see my choices as:
JDM K20A flywheel which is the lightest
AUDM K20A2 flywheel which isn't as light
CL7 K24 flywheel, I assume is the heaviest?

·
Registered
92 Posts
How will you be using the car this motor is in?

is it a drag race car, some have found a slightly heavier flywheel or just a stock weight flywheel helps get the car going.

is it just a street car, if so a stock flywheel will help drivability and make it easier not to stall leaving stop lights.

track car light weight will help free up power and allow the motor to rev more quickly.

I have a 6lb flywheel on my B16 and I got a light weight flywheel for my K24 as well. But my car sees 90% of its mile on the track. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts
I have an 8lb on my k24 with a type s trans and love it , but I prefer a snappy driving feel and the car definitely requires some quick footwork to drive smoothly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

The car will just be a weekender so ease of driving is a priority.
So a lightened flywheel is out of the question then.

Is there a difference between the K24A2 and K20A2 or K20Z1 flywheel?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My understanding is the K20A2 and K20Z1 all come in about the same 15 lbs. The K24A2 is supposed to be 20lbs. So a good option for you would be a K20A2 flywheel and clutch which would be an improvement over the stock K24 but keep drivability. Keep in mind you must match the clutch and flywheel. So in my case I got a lightweight Type S flywheel so I had to get the matching Type S clutch. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that is helpful, thanks for that.

If I run a K24 flywheel then I would need to use a K24 clutch and pressure plate on the DC5R gearbox?

I want the car to be easy to drive yet not feel like a generic car. Though engine vibrations are a concern and I know a heavier flywheel will mask some of those too, as will a fluid damper

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts
Yes that is helpful, thanks for that.

If I run a K24 flywheel then I would need to use a K24 clutch and pressure plate on the DC5R gearbox?

I want the car to be easy to drive yet not feel like a generic car. Though engine vibrations are a concern and I know a heavier flywheel will mask some of those too, as will a fluid damper
Yes match the clutch kit and flywheel to each other. I’m using an 8 lb flywheel and “stg 2” clutch for a type s on my k24a.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts