Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i`ve tried to tune my car for the first time after installing headers. i didn`t touch the ignition tables as i don`t have no experience working with them. i only adjusted fuel and cam angles.. the torque graph is as follows.. blue line was before headers and red line is after my trial to tune the car..

my car pulls much stronger now. i know ignition is so important. i didn`t have no knock. base map was from kmanager ITR.cal. tuned with 98 octane fuel.

at the following video is after tuned.. just after i captured that video i smelled very bad burning smell and stopped just to have a look. i knew it was from the new header.

but is it normal for the exhaust pipes and header to get heat that much? i know if the ignition is not enough, exhaust temperature heats more and can damage engine.

do you think its normal because it was at high speed (about 145mph)? or should i get the ignition tuned?

HERE IS THE VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8AVezun_I

specs are:

1997 EK Civic with 2004 k20r motor swap
6 speed 4.764fd with lsd
ebay headers, no cat, 2.5" piping
aem v2
hondata img
hondata k-pro

·
Banned
330 Posts
can u make a base map?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
very nice gains Hasan. The header changes everything doesn't it?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its just the header that changed some parts.. i wish i could get it tuned by you. by that way i know i will get more hp out of it!!

i am not a tuner by the way.. all im doing is just LEARNING.. and all i`ve done was adjusting fuel and cam angles. i hope nobody misunderstood me.. if so, i appologise

you know i will get my car tuned properly by you MIKE!! you proved yourself to me and any other people who got his tune by you. you are the tuner. you are the experienced guy..

·
Registered
316 Posts
What size tires are you running?

My brother has a delsol with a k20z1 swap in it, he did his own street tune as well and it sounds identical, you guys have the same exact wheel spin in 1st gear and when both of you throw second it spins the same amount until 3rd is thrown.

His mods
-IMG hondata
-dc swap headers (ftl)
-2.75 custom exhaust.
-KPRO street tune
- RSX injen modified C/A/I.

He's running 215/50/16 for the tire size. He hasnt dyno'd yet but his "butt dyno" is calculating about 215whp.

Your motor sounds healthy, are the headers new? Maybe thats your smell. You did pull hard into 6th gear so maybe a combination on new headers, and a 1-6th gear pull might have caused that smell and heat.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
hi,

i`ve tried to tune my car for the first time after installing headers. i didn`t touch the ignition tables as i don`t have no experience working with them. i only adjusted fuel and cam angles.. the torque graph is as follows.. blue line was before headers and red line is after my trial to tune the car..

my car pulls much stronger now. i know ignition is so important. i didn`t have no knock. base map was from kmanager ITR.cal. tuned with 98 octane fuel.

at the following video is after tuned.. just after i captured that video i smelled very bad burning smell and stopped just to have a look. i knew it was from the new header.

but is it normal for the exhaust pipes and header to get heat that much? i know if the ignition is not enough, exhaust temperature heats more and can damage engine.

do you think its normal because it was at high speed (about 145mph)? or should i get the ignition tuned?

HERE IS THE VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8AVezun_I

specs are:

1997 EK Civic with 2004 k20r motor swap
6 speed 4.764fd with lsd
ebay headers, no cat, 2.5" piping
aem v2
hondata img
hondata k-pro

what you wanna do , is highlight the whole rpm range in the last 3 columns , 8 , 9 , and 10. start with low cam. advance the whole thing a degree. do a pull , check for knock count. if you have knock , reduce ignition where it happened the degree you added , and advance the rest that didnt get knock a degree again. do another pull. until the whole low cam map is advanced as far as you can go without knock , minus a degree or so. do the same thing with the high cam. it helps to be on the dyno for this , so you can overlap your runs and see gains and loss's , im sure you understand. if your running 98 octane fuel and havent touched the ignition yet , you have much gains there still buddy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What size tires are you running?

My brother has a delsol with a k20z1 swap in it, he did his own street tune as well and it sounds identical, you guys have the same exact wheel spin in 1st gear and when both of you throw second it spins the same amount until 3rd is thrown.

His mods
-IMG hondata
-dc swap headers (ftl)
-2.75 custom exhaust.
-KPRO street tune
- RSX injen modified C/A/I.

He's running 215/50/16 for the tire size. He hasnt dyno'd yet but his "butt dyno" is calculating about 215whp.

Your motor sounds healthy, are the headers new? Maybe thats your smell. You did pull hard into 6th gear so maybe a combination on new headers, and a 1-6th gear pull might have caused that smell and heat.
its the same size tyres

1 - 11 of 11 Posts