Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is my fuel setup. I got all the fittings and regulator from a well known shop here. And this guy is telling me this?

hey just fyi....you are potentially causing a fire hazard, that regulator has entirely the wrong fittings on it, please have the shop get the right stuff, and there is never ever ever ever supposed to be teflon to be used on compression fittings.

im not hating, i am being safety conscience

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Teflon is not needed on those fittings. I'm not sure how it is a fire hazard unless it is the wrong size and gas would leak.

When you install it on the car, take the teflon off first, tighten everything down, then turn the key to the 2nd spot, that will prime the fuel pump. Have someone stand in the engine bay while doing this and check for leaks. IF no leaks start the car.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Teflon is not needed on those fittings. I'm not sure how it is a fire hazard unless it is the wrong size and gas would leak.

When you install it on the car, take the teflon off first, tighten everything down, then turn the key to the 2nd spot, that will prime the fuel pump. Have someone stand in the engine bay while doing this and check for leaks. IF no leaks start the car.
Aight thanks i appreciate it!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If the port threads on that regulator are NPT, then the teflon tape might be needed. However I've never seen a regulator that has NPT ports...

What kind of regulator is that? Why didn't you just get a Aeromotive reg. to match your filter?

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
teflon tape will burn when it meets it specific heat, which is possible in some areas in your bay, and is possible on your fuel stuff. take it off, and Rich is right about it getting into your system if it breaks/tears off.

·
Registered
900 Posts

This is my fuel setup. I got all the fittings and regulator from a well known shop here. And this guy is telling me this?
It looks like you're using NPT to AN union fittings there (the NPT can be distinguished by its tapering diameter and lack of a 37 degree nipple like on AN fittings). You should be using a -6AN or -8AN fitting, depending on what regulator you're running (looks like you need -8AN). If that regulator is -8AN, you'll probably need to pick up a -8AN/-6AN union (like used on the fuel rails) because it looks like you've got -6AN lines. In fact, a fuel rail style fitting that has no nipple on the -8 side would be fine for this application.The AN fitting will not seal on the regulator like it does on the lines. You will need to use an O-ring to seal the fitting to the regulator, just like is done on fuel rails. For future reference, there are special solvent-proofliquid sealants made for sealing pipe threads like for when you install the 1/8" NPT plug or a gauge into your fuel rail.

Hope this helps. Nice rail by the way. :D

peace,
russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts