Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have been browsing this from for a while now and actually didn't sign up to long ago. With that being said I am just starting my first Exo Chassis build. To give some back ground, I am currently fabricator mechanic as a profession at the city I live in. I previously was a tradesman (Boilermaker) and a certified welder and weld inspector (CWI). I have been fabricating and building cars since I was 16 (I'm 30 now) from track Miata's to 1300whp Supra's. I am not new to making things fast, I am new however, to Cad programs, in depth suspension setup and the computer design side of things.

I have been following some inspirational builds on here much like Pook's TR42 among many others. I've started with the basics. I am currently using Bend Tech software to design the large portion of the chassis. I have access to Pneumatic bender with bend techs "dragon" to save me time and make things a little bit easier. I Built a 5x10 Table with 5/8" holes in the 1/4 steel top to have as my starting point to help build it from the floor up. Below is the pictures of the table, the Lower section of the chassis where the seats will bolt to. Goal is under 1300lbs and 400whp out of a K24a2. I will be asking questions and looking for input as my build progresses. Thanks for looking and thanks for the future help!! :cheers:

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
Welcome on board Sharkey :D!
I am not new to making things fast, I am new however, to Cad programs, in depth suspension setup and the computer design side of things.
Did you do already some research on kinematics of suspension and mechanics on frame development? Depending on what track profile you are focused: Formula 3, Rallye or Mitty Car suspension design could be helpfully as a start ramp for your design. There is also valuable literature available on that matter like http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783658019914 (sorry, I just know the German books in that field). You may contact also kb58, which did also build his own chassis, body and so on within his Midlana project (also available as ready to built book).

Goal is under 1300lbs and 400whp out of a K24a2
The first is a challenging and therefore expensive task, you would need a lot of light material if you work on a steel space frame. The second is easy task with a TC' or SC'd engine setup.

Looking forward to see more of it :D.

Markus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome on board Sharkey :D!
Did you do already some research on kinematics of suspension and mechanics on frame development? Depending on what track profile you are focused: Formula 3, Rallye or Mitty Car suspension design could be helpfully as a start ramp for your design. There is also valuable literature available on that matter like http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783658019914 (sorry, I just know the German books in that field). You may contact also kb58, which did also build his own chassis, body and so on within his Midlana project (also available as ready to built book).

The first is a challenging and therefore expensive task, you would need a lot of light material if you work on a steel space frame. The second is easy task with a TC' or SC'd engine setup.

Looking forward to see more of it :D.

Markus
Thanks for the Input. I will more then likely be using the Solstice/Sky suspension points and parts. They can be had for fairly cheap. I am really looking to build a street car that can be a monster on a track. Nothing competitive, but rather just fun to drive. It will be turbo charged build using my own built parts ect. The biggest thing im trying to learn is how to measure and implement the factory suspension points into the chassis I am drawing via Bend tech

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
...The biggest thing im trying to learn is how to measure and implement the factory suspension points into the chassis I am drawing via Bend tech
It needs to be done the other way around. Start with tires, then wheels, then uprights, then the suspension, in that order. The chassis is there just to hold the inboard points in place. Regarding the weight, it's always going to be 20% heavier than what you want and adding a turbo system is significant.

And welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It needs to be done the other way around. Start with tires, then wheels, then uprights, then the suspension, in that order. The chassis is there just to hold the inboard points in place. Regarding the weight, it's always going to be 20% heavier than what you want and adding a turbo system is significant.

And welcome!
Thanks for the quick reply! I want to take the exact mounting points, a arms, hub/knuckles out of a solstice/Sky. I just don't know how to go about measuring these mounting points to have the exact geometry that it uses. I am Not an engineer, I don't know how to design this from scratch, therefor I would rather use something that has already been designed that I can implement into my chassis. I hope this makes sense, I am a welder fabricator, so I can make just about anything, but when it comes to design I am a total Newbie.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
In that case I recommend using the OEM inner pick up points, measured as accurately as possible on the donor's chassis - and don't forget height above ground. Doing it that way though is a mixed bag since you're getting the OEM's idea of camber gain. On the plus side you can use OEM half-shafts, which saves quite a bit by not needing custom parts. If you want to talk more you can get hold of me through the Midlana site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.