Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All..

My first thread on K20a.org. I've been reading a ton and found a wealth of information here. Anyways, I bought a K20Z1 that was pulled from a 2005 RSX with roughly 55k miles or so. Gonna do a swap with it. I did a quick inspection and saw these exhaust valve guides are cracked / missing part of the bottom. See the pics. They are of cylinder #2 and #1.

I've done some research on what causes this and I'm not sure I found a popular consensus on the answer. My real question is this indicative of any bigger problem? I'm planning on removing the head and having all 8 exhaust guides replaced. Should I replace the intake side too?

I'm new to swaps, and to engines so any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
the only time I ever see broken guides is when the valves are bent.

Was the car you got the motor from wrecked? I have seen motors from wrecked cars end up with bent valves from the motor turning backwards (the car rolling backwards at high speed while still in gear) which will cause the timing to jump and bend valves

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only time I ever see broken guides is when the valves are bent.

Was the car you got the motor from wrecked? I have seen motors from wrecked cars end up with bent valves from the motor turning backwards (the car rolling backwards at high speed while still in gear) which will cause the timing to jump and bend valves
It was in fact wrecked. I ran the VIN from the car and it looked like it was wrecked 3 times. Thanks for your input. I'm definitely going to have all the guides replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I bought my prb head there was a few broken guides. I just bought all new super tech guides and replaced all of them. Just a good reason to upgrade
Thanks... did you do them yourself or send the head to a machine shop? I was looking at the Supertech guides and was going to just use those unless anyone else had another recommendation. Did you consider using OEM guides?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts