Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if this would be a good exhaust setup for an EG with a K20AR in it?

DTR headers -> 2.5inch custom pipe(from headers to cat) -> 2.5inch cat -> custom 2.5inch b-pipe -> muffler????

Also, what universal fitting mufflers are good for this setup?
can someone make a list of some that are available and commonly used?

Thanks heaps guys

Paul.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Make your own yO

DTR 4-2-1 --> bend to clear karcepts --> 14''Resonator --> Magnaflow straight through --> Tanabe Straight through

Quiet as all hell. Too quiet. I'm getting rid of the magnaflow and replacing it with another resonator.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can u get spoon universal fitting mufflers that would go well on this? or are cant u get them in the right diameter etc (this is the muffler only im talking about, not b-pipes etc)..

im still trying to figure out what i wanna do with the exhause. lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
It depends on the tone that you want.

RICER BLARING LOUD?

a nice deep note?

personally I don't want my ears to bleed when i drive, so an apexi ws would be my choice, you may loose some hp...1-2... but atleast you won't get a headache during ur long trips...

oh yeah, is it a daily driver? r u going to drive it for more than 30mins at high crusing speed? (65-80mph; 85+mph on highway is pushing towards death)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
if you go with a nice sized resonator and a decent muffler, you can run a 3" setup and not have it be too loud. im runnig a 3" magnaflow resonator and 3" round magnaflow muffler, car sounds nice and deep.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
r u going to drive it for more than 30mins at high crusing speed? (65-80mph; 85+mph on highway is pushing towards death)

how so?

it is for street use, but wont be my DD. I will probably drive it alot though as im not going to build something that just sits in the garage.

im planning on getting exhaust, brakes, suspension etc before getting the engine and trying to work out if doing the exhaust beforehand will work.

i was thinking i could do 1 of the following, if anyone has any ideas/tips for me, please inform me. I have been leaning towards the second option so as the RS*R is more restrictive. We want as much performace as we can get dont we. I want my car to sound mean, lol. Id like it to sound like Will's (hybrid-racing) car on that clip where it is running the EVO. That sounds real nice. Anyone know what exhaust that is running on the clip?

Options i have come across so far:

1. RS*R Catback on the EG (stock d-series w/ no headers) and then when i get the k20a and dtr headers, modify it to fit.

2. Get a 2.5inch cat -> custom 2.5inch b-pipe -> universal fitting muffler (probably magnaflow), then when i get the k20a and dtr headers.. get a bit of 2.5inch custom pipe to connect the headers to the cat.

Please help guys! thanks :up:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Will's car was open header in that video. Open header is fucking crazy in real life, you can't drive it around town at all. But I know what you mean, you want a high pitched non raspy sounding engine. If you don't mind it being loud go with the Tanabe Super Racing Medallion. I have it on mine, and honestly it's too loud to keep it stock, so I'm adding a 22'' resonator to the 14'' resonator. I'm taking off that magnaflow muffler because it's too big and too quiet.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So u reckon a Tanabe Super Racing Medallion muffler... with a 2.5inch b-pipe?
Does the cat influence the sound at all? Im definately running a cat, they seem pretty strict on it around my area... Any 2.5inch cat should be fine shouldnt it?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Paul1985 said:
So u reckon a Tanabe Super Racing Medallion muffler... with a 2.5inch b-pipe?
Does the cat influence the sound at all? Im definately running a cat, they seem pretty strict on it around my area... Any 2.5inch cat should be fine shouldnt it?
Yeah, just make sure the flanges match up. A cat will reduce some raspiness, it won't hurt sound.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so something like this would go well on the end of a 2.5inch cat & b-pipe...

Brand New Genuine Tanabe Titanium Muffler
Brand New in original box (shipped directly from Japan)
Comes with Tanabe booklet and Tanabe sticker
Inlet: 3"
Tip: 4"

Except if i want maximum performance i would want the Inlet to be 2.5inch, am i correct? and would the tip size matter so much? Heres a pic of this muffler..

sorry for all the exhaust questions guys, appreciate the help though :up:
also, anyone have any other muffler recommendations other than the tanabe? Just like to keep my options open.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bump for this info, what sized inlet and tip is best?
would the tanabe muffler i pictured above be ok? or is it too big an inlet/tip size? If so, what should i be looking for? its just theres one of those for sale locally and going for cheap. Titanium would be pretty good also im assuming, im not going to buy it if its not suited to what im wanting to do though.

Also, a muffler like the one above, would it fit/look nice on a EG Hatch?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yea its cool. Theres no real big deal. Your good with a 3inch or a 2.5 inch exhaust. Personally though, a 3inch will hold out better than a 2.5 inch in the long run. Sooner or later you will have to go 3 so fuck it do it now. Personally i dont like much of the tanabe producte thats to big for me. But i mean you cant go off what other tell you, its your car. I might go with a 3inch magnaflow plain jane out of sight muffler.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, maybe i should look into a 3" setup rather than 2.5" then.
I agree with it being big, 4" tip is huge, i could deal with it though. I want it to sound good though. I might search around and find some pics of mufflers on hatch's and see what tickles my fancy :)

Thanks Soda, if anyone else has any other muffler recommendations, feel free to comment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts