Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,030 Posts
I made about 50-60 mm because of tps who is pratically in the car !!
Looks like a nice job. What is mounted on the bunch of bolt and screws on the left side of the firewall? Must be light as no washers are used.

You have 8 injectors ? On NA? On race fuel ?
Yes, it is a NA engine with 8 injectors. The purpose is not the amount of fuel need it, it is the mixture quality and the cooling effect by vaporization and some other stuff, which will be investigated with the help of a pressure indication system (TFX, four pressure applicated spark plugs) on our engine bench.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looks like a nice job. What is mounted on the bunch of bolt and screws on the left side of the firewall? Must be light as no washers are used.
I have made a little box, for ecu, to protect from water and heat.

For now i put hondata v4 but my heart want a fueltech ft550….

Yeah i think a k20 na is not a big issue with fuel !! I have an evo with an 8374 efr on 2.3 liters, and with 700 liters per hour it’s fine only 2 bars of boost. 😂

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,030 Posts
I have made a little box, for ecu, to protect from water and heat.
That is a very common place for the ECU. I put mine also there. It is also a good access point to tune the car.

For now i put hondata v4 but my heart want a fueltech ft550….
The idea is very good, combining a dash screen and a ECU in one component, despite it is a bit limited regarding its functionality. But the price is unbeatable. I like the compression test feature, which is using the engine speed sensor information to rate which cylinder seems to be low on compression ratio. The idea behind is simple, just to observe the engine speed over time and analyse it. I rarely saw this function on other ECU's. Main cause is maybe the speed sensor information is not too accurate when crank speed is lower. But hey, better then nothing...

Yeah i think a k20 na is not a big issue with fuel...
Yes, definitely not the cause for 8 injectors ;).

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,030 Posts
Well done, not easy you have a 200 cell? How much power and setup with this exhaust?
It's a FIA conform catalyst out of the HJS Race program. Actually it made it just to 5500 rpm then the gearbox broke. At 5250 rpm this 86.5x86 NA engine made 210 hp (280 Nm) at flywheel. According 1D simulation it should have made 274 Nm which is a bit off. Peak torque is designed to happen at around 7500 rpm and peak engine power at 8500 rpm (310+ hp). Actually we are busy building the engine bench, before I can proceed with the tuning.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
It's a FIA conform catalyst out of the HJS Race program. Actually it made it just to 5500 rpm then the gearbox broke. At 5250 rpm this 86.5x86 NA engine made 210 hp (280 Nm) at flywheel. According 1D simulation it should have made 274 Nm which is a bit off. Peak torque is designed to happen at around 7500 rpm and peak engine power at 8500 rpm (310+ hp). Actually we are busy building the engine bench, before I can proceed with the tuning.
Markus I get the "quicky" inspection over here lol.. My builds are completely unfamiliar with a catalyst and I use them on the streets.

I love that you are building an engine bench and the help that you give to us. Seriously, it makes us want to help others and give back. There are other sites that I use on the sole purpose of helping others. If you ever need help with this site let me know, I am not able to work away from home anymore due to my heart condition and ankles.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,030 Posts
Markus I get the "quicky" inspection over here lol.. My builds are completely unfamiliar with a catalyst and I use them on the streets.
Your place comes on my wishlist for places worth to live at :D.

I love that you are building an engine bench and the help that you give to us. Seriously, it makes us want to help others and give back. There are other sites that I use on the sole purpose of helping others. If you ever need help with this site let me know, I am not able to work away from home anymore due to my heart condition and ankles.
Thanks @Them Witches, I appreciate your offer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Do you think to modify this and equalize the 2 first cylinders will make some good results?

In case of not, can you design a good header like your?

·
Registered
698 Posts
this looks like a STARK manifold with the 1-2 and 3-4 pairing. It works well on very high reving exhaust such as 4-cylinder motorcycle engines.
On a lower reving engine, these manifolds lose out on midrange torque and power, but offer clearance to pass the tight Rover Elise subframe and driveshaft. You don’t need to cross pipes.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,030 Posts
Do you think to modify this and equalize the 2 first cylinders will make some good results?
To equalize these two secondaries one would need to cut them both to route them differently to get equal lengths.

In case of not, can you design a good header like your?
I could do this, but to fab it it would be better to have your car onsite, small differences in engine angle and position could lead to clearance issues under the trunk.

You don’t need to cross pipes.
Yes, that is the biggest advantage of this design.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Your place comes on my wishlist for places worth to live at :D.

Thanks @Them Witches, I appreciate your offer.
Your welcome.

Come over to visit in Virginia. We can schedule an event weekend at VIR, Virginia International Raceway. I have a good friend that is a Level 4 instructor affiliated with SCAA/NASA a racing organization you are familiar with. He has been road course racing for 30 years, which you will be able to do ride along with him on track. VIR is the new home of the Ariel Atom's production. You can do track rides in the Ariel Atom as well, and they have badass go-kart tracks too. They say VIR is the Nurburgring of the United States because when the entire track is opened it has 4-1/2 min lap times.

My car should be done by then and you can drive the 3hr trip. You could also arrange to meet up with other members here you know. If you come to a SCAA/NASA event there, you can drive on track during lunch laps for 30 mins.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,030 Posts
Come over to visit in Virginia. We can schedule an event weekend at VIR, Virginia International Raceway. I have a good friend that is a Level 4 instructor affiliated with SCAA/NASA a racing organization you are familiar with. He has been road course racing for 30 years, which you will be able to do ride along with him on track. VIR is the new home of the Ariel Atom's production. You can do track rides in the Ariel Atom as well, and they have badass go-kart tracks too. They say VIR is the Nurburgring of the United States because when the entire track is opened it has 4-1/2 min lap times.

My car should be done by then and you can drive the 3hr trip. You could also arrange to meet up with other members here you know. If you come to a SCAA/NASA event there, you can drive on track during lunch laps for 30 mins.
Wow, thanks for your offer. Would be very cool to drive with an professional around the track. I would love to come to visit your place. There are so many interesting spots in the US with a lot of key persons in the Honda aftermarket and tuner scene I want to visit. I really need to condense it down to a few to be able to visit them within a 4 or 5 week US trip, I want to do since 10 years. If I would be single I would have done it already, with family it is a bigger financial and organization challenge to be able to let this trip start. Actually 2 week holiday trips are the maximum budget and organization wise. Time and things changes, good perspectives for my plan to come true. Thank you anyway for your great and appreciated offer.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,027 Posts
Your welcome.

Ever since I saw the top gear episode where he drives the very first edition with the supercharged k20 I have had a burning desire to own one 😭 his face melted backwards at wot.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Ever since I saw the top gear episode where he drives the very first edition with the supercharged k20 I have had a burning desire to own one 😭 his face melted backwards at wot.
just seeing this. i was lucky to ride shotgun in the SCK20 Atom. 2nd gear pulls make the bladder hit the throat. They are just wild tubes with a engine

21 - 35 of 35 Posts