Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I put a k20a2 with drag cartel camshafts 3.2 in a lotus elise s1, looking for some information to make the exhaust.

Looking for about 280-290hp, would you guys recommanded a 4-2-1 and wich size of tube length and curves to issues?

Thanks !

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,014 Posts
Looking for about 280-290hp, would you guys recommanded a 4-2-1 and wich size of tube length and curves to issues?
Depends on your IM, CAI and crank assembly setup as well as of the ports. Could you give us more information on that please?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on your IM, CAI and crank assembly setup as well as of the ports. Could you give us more information on that please?
12.5 rv, on ethanol 85 pcent, wiseco and saenz rods, s2000 pump, supertech valve train double spring intake +0.5mm, 80mm intake forced, rest to make a good heather in theory…

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Isn't skunk ultra a intake manifold that shifts the power band to the right? A 4-1 with a megaphone would be ideal, not so ideal in your chassis. I mean these Lotus's are fitting the overall length of a normal FWD / RWD exhaust into a tiny truck, suitcase. It has to get hot as Death Valley back there.

I would ceramic coat the header and the entire exhaust. I would suggest Vibrant exhaust products like their Ultra Quite resonator and their Stealth muffler. Both items are straight through design and small in comparison other aftermarket company's parts.

Ultra Quiet Resonator, 3.00" inlet/oulet

Click to enlarge

Part #: 1142
Description: Ultra Quiet Resonator, 3.00" inlet/oulet
Material: 304 Stainless Steel
Warranty: Five Year Limited Warranty
MSRP: $128.99 USD
Notes:
Part Specifications
----------------------------------------------------------
Inlet Diameter: 3.00"
Outlet Diameter: 3.00"
Body Width: 6.50" x 4.75"
Body Length: 9.75"
Overall Length: 13.75"

- Vibrant's Ultra Quiet Resonator utilizes a larger sound absorption chamber for better sound suppression than typical bottle style resonators.

- Feature Vibrant's "True Straight Through" perforated core, surrounded by our premium multi-layer sound absorption materials.

- Originally designed to help eliminate the "rifling" noise that is common with most 6 cyl. and 8 cyl. vehicles equipped with straight through performance exhaust systems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is cool about the Vibrant stealth muffler is it's 304 SS with black paint that aids in lowering heat soak temps. The other cool thing about them is, the paint on the exit tip can be removed, prepped for weld, and it can be used as an inline muffler. Something else they make a dual tip muffler, which you can run it as inline then exit out of it with a dual exhaust design.

STREETPOWER FLAT BLACK Oval Muffler; Inlet I.D. 3.00" (76.2mm) Tip O.D. 3.00" (76.2mm)

Click to enlarge

Part #: 1147
Description: STREETPOWER FLAT BLACK Oval Muffler; Inlet I.D. 3.00" (76.2mm) Tip O.D. 3.00" (76.2mm)
Material: Stainless Steel
Warranty: Two Year Limited Warranty
MSRP: $149.99 USD
Notes:
Part Specifications:
-------------------

These stealthy mufflers are perfect for cruising under the radar and avoiding unwanted attention.

100% Stainless Steel Construction with a high temperature Flat Black coating.

Our "true straight through" internals feature a stainless steel perforated tube that is wrapped in our premium quality, multi-layer sound suppression materials that produce a low, deep tone while allowing for unrestricted flow and maximum horsepower.

Tip: Round, Single Wall, Angle Cut

Measurements:

Height: 5"
Width: 9"
Length: 15"
OAL: 20" (including the exhaust tip)

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,014 Posts
Skunk ultra
You like to keep the tension high, don't you 😄?! Which Skunk2 Ultra: Street, Race, how much Volume adapter and so on. The more precise you are the better one can help you. I can design a header for you according my know how, experience and calculation tools (1D, 0D engine simulation or acustic approach VBA tool), but if the input is bad, the output will it likely be also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You like to keep the tension high, don't you 😄?! Which Skunk2 Ultra: Street, Race, how much Volume adapter and so on. The more precise you are the better one can help you. I can design a header for you according my know how, experience and calculation tools (1D, 0D engine simulation or acustic approach VBA tool), but if the input is bad, the output will it likely be also.
Sorry dude ! Have ultra street intake, with approx 75mm of 80mm aluminium with 2 curves 45 degrees and a green filter.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,000 Posts
In the picture it looks to be an ultra street with a .5 L spacer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the shortblock all oem or higher compression pistons rods etc ? I’m curious to see how the 3.2 perform in a 2.0
No pistons are 12.5 rv, rods saenz.

In first mount i put drag cartel 4.0 camshafts, it was enormous on a 2.0 liter atmospheric, im sure 3.2 for 9500Rpm are perfects.

The car is light under 800kg approx, i have limit vtc to 36 degrees and check clearance valve to piston, think it’s a good setup not cheap but good !!

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,000 Posts
No pistons are 12.5 rv, rods saenz.

In first mount i put drag cartel 4.0 camshafts, it was enormous on a 2.0 liter atmospheric, im sure 3.2 for 9500Rpm are perfects.

The car is light under 800kg approx, i have limit vtc to 36 degrees and check clearance valve to piston, think it’s a good setup not cheap but good !!
Sounds like an awesome high rpm engine !

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,014 Posts
Sorry dude ! Have ultra street intake, with approx 75mm of 80mm aluminium with 2 curves 45 degrees and a green filter.
Ok, that is the information I am seeking for.

Yep spacer about 7mm sold with the intake.
Ok, fine. Does it still have clearance to the firewall?

Yuup, the DC4.0 wont work on a 12.5:1 CR, the dynamic loss in CR is too big. The peak engine speed with this IM is on 86x86 engine around 8400 rpm for the 3rd order peak and at around 11,500 rpm for the second order peak. So head port and cams as well as valve train dynamic will limit the engine for the 3rd order peak, where the peak power engine speed will likely be too. There was a DC 3.2, 12.5:1 CR setup with some head work done on the Philippines, which made almost 290 hp at flywheel. As it had a stock RRC I would guess the 290 hp can be hit at around 8600 rpm. But for that case you need a really good header, which is indeed a challenge in the S1 chassis. Most of the headers on the market or not made for this engine speed area. I designed one for my Elise, which made 280 [email protected] rpm on a 86.5x86 NA engine before gearbox broke. There are ways to fill that space with capable header/exhaust designs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, fine. Does it still have clearance to the firewall?
I have made a hole with à aluminium reservation…

Most of the headers on the market or not made for this engine speed area. I designed one for my Elise, which made 280 [email protected] rpm on a 86.5x86 NA engine before gearbox broke. There are ways to fill that space with capable header/exhaust designs.
Do you have information about diameters from the head, 4-2-1 or 4-1 directly?, i dont want to hit the last hp to loose torque, need strong low rpm.
You have pictures of your car ?

thanks

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,014 Posts
I have made a hole with à aluminium reservation…
Ah, very good. How much did you need to move the firewall cut out back for this specific IM?

Do you have information about diameters from the head, 4-2-1 or 4-1 directly?
I can mention here these, but I would prefer you check out the wonderful information we already have here in other threads. Shooting some numbers here wouldn't respect your engine setup. My guideline is individual high quality and highly performant setups, everyone is a singularity in that universe ;).

You have pictures of your car ?
Sure.

This is small cutout of an enginebay picture with the DAMPFHAMMER IM in focus.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts