Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have questions for Ep3 brakes upgrades :

Does the DC5 front brake ( brembo ) fit on?

Wilwood kit in 11.8 6 pistons good or note?

What's the best compromise ? ( for street and track use )

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi,

I have questions for Ep3 brakes upgrades :

Does the DC5 front brake ( brembo ) fit on?

Wilwood kit in 11.8 6 pistons good or note?

What's the best compromise ? ( for street and track use )

Thanks
Wilwood makes some good kits.

However, I can't seem to find the kit you are describing. Are you referring to:

http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_249&products_id=1007

???

I ask because there are few track compound pads available for Wilwoods 6 piston Superlites (at least the last time I checked). Which makes the 4 pisto calipers (Superlites, Dynalites, Dynapros) better choices for a track car.

Stoptech makes some great quality brake components as well... although be aware that there have been cases of interference between the rotor and balljoint at steering lock with their kits. People have had to run a 5mm spacer behind the rotor to get around this.

Anyway... The best compromise between street in track is none of the above. You will need to run street specific pads on the street, and track compounds on the track... at least, if you want to get the most out of your brakes.

Have you considered simply upgrading to a more aggressive pad, some high temp fluid (Super Blue, Motul RBF600, etc), and some stainless steel lines? This will transform your stock brakes as it is... the only real reason to jump to a big brake kit is for improved heat dissipation during long track sessions (i know you mentioned that this would be for a track car, but Im just saying...)

·
Registered
138 Posts
OEM EP3 rotors will not cut it at the track. Even with upgraded pads and fluid. I rolled on Powerslops for about 5 hours of track time on aggressive Hawk blue's. Let's just say I needed to go buy NEW rotors after those 5 hours. BBK is the ONLY way to go if your doing ANY track days at all. Otherwise, budget for new rotors twice a year depending on how many track days the OP does. I wouldn't track a car with anything less than a RL or TL brake conversion. And that is a BBK kit. The rotors are twice as thick as EP3 or RSX rotors, cooling is everything. My StopTech kit had NO fit issues and after 10 laps the calipers are so cool I can touch them. Try that with stock brakes. Spend now, or learn later.

Christian

·
Registered
148 Posts
OEM EP3 rotors will not cut it at the track. Even with upgraded pads and fluid. I rolled on Powerslops for about 5 hours of track time on aggressive Hawk blue's. Let's just say I needed to go buy NEW rotors after those 5 hours. BBK is the ONLY way to go if your doing ANY track days at all. Otherwise, budget for new rotors twice a year depending on how many track days the OP does. I wouldn't track a car with anything less than a RL or TL brake conversion. And that is a BBK kit. The rotors are twice as thick as EP3 or RSX rotors, cooling is everything. My StopTech kit had NO fit issues and after 10 laps the calipers are so cool I can touch them. Try that with stock brakes. Spend now, or learn later.

Christian
Blues are notorious for eating rotors.

That being said, I dont agree with this statement at all:

"BBK is the ONLY way to go if your doing ANY track days at all. "

·
Registered
138 Posts
Blues are notorious for eating rotors.

That being said, I dont agree with this statement at all:

"BBK is the ONLY way to go if your doing ANY track days at all. "
Hey, if you want to try to stop a 2900lb car with 10" brakes and DOT 3. Go for it, your going to find your butt puckering a lot. :)

Christian

·
Banned
700 Posts
Wilwood makes some good kits.

However, I can't seem to find the kit you are describing. Are you referring to:

http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_249&products_id=1007

???

I ask because there are few track compound pads available for Wilwoods 6 piston Superlites (at least the last time I checked). Which makes the 4 pisto calipers (Superlites, Dynalites, Dynapros) better choices for a track car.

Stoptech makes some great quality brake components as well... although be aware that there have been cases of interference between the rotor and balljoint at steering lock with their kits. People have had to run a 5mm spacer behind the rotor to get around this.

Anyway... The best compromise between street in track is none of the above. You will need to run street specific pads on the street, and track compounds on the track... at least, if you want to get the most out of your brakes.

Have you considered simply upgrading to a more aggressive pad, some high temp fluid (Super Blue, Motul RBF600, etc), and some stainless steel lines? This will transform your stock brakes as it is... the only real reason to jump to a big brake kit is for improved heat dissipation during long track sessions (i know you mentioned that this would be for a track car, but Im just saying...)
here is the 6 piston brake kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wilwood-12-19-DynaPro-6-Piston-Honda-Disc-Brake-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a16Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem220348596591QQitemZ220348596591QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
78 Posts
Type S brakes.

just need the calipers and rotors. its 100% bolt up if you have a 5 lug EP.

Type S rotors
Type S calipers
a good set of track pads
stainless lines
and good fluid.

Low cost, easy to get parts for, and works very well even on the track. (key for the track is to get at least front pads made for track only use)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts