Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how can you tell what year the engine was manufactured ??? pls very important specially for a k20 Type S. also are there any code to recognize the k20 Type S.. what compression should i get when i do a compression test on it ? pls.. anyone i am getting ready to buy a Type S and i want to make sure i am not buying crap.

·
Banned
15,812 Posts
There was a post a long time ago that shows the location on the motor where you can see the year. I think you can also tell my the VIN. Let me see if I can find the picture.

·
Banned
15,812 Posts
This is where it is on A JDM k20a R

http://www.k20a.org/upload/DSC00577.JPG

Look in the middle.

Hopefully the type S have them there too. The vin will also tell you. Just put it on the carfax.com site if you have the whole vin of the car it came out. YOu don;t need to pay carfax.com It will give you the year for free.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks so much for that pic :), i am picking up my k20, radiator, ac condensor, ecu this weekend. It is going into my 92 Hatchback SI. how about the model of the engine... any markings to recognize if in fact it's a type S engine ???? Should i get the RSX radiotor and AC condensor, since i want to hookup my AC. can anyone help ?

·
Registered
329 Posts
nikos said:
This is where it is on A JDM k20a R

http://www.k20a.org/upload/DSC00577.JPG

Look in the middle.

Hopefully the type S have them there too. The vin will also tell you. Just put it on the carfax.com site if you have the whole vin of the car it came out. YOu don;t need to pay carfax.com It will give you the year for free.
The 10th digit in the VIN will give a letter/number which indicates year of manufacture... you need the chart to figure out what the letter/number means... I just took the time to find the chart in my folder so hopefully it helps... I'll do 2002 on just cause ...

2002 = 2
2003 = 3
2004 = 4
2005 = 5
2006 = 6

... and so on... It goes 1 through 9 then A through Z and keeps alternating...

Edit- just realized that wouldnt help you because from what i understand you only gettin the motor... but I'll leave it up anyways...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are pulling the engine out of the RSX type s and i could go take a look at tha chassis. i guess i will match the VIN on the Chassis to the engine. i just wan to make sure i am getting what i am paying for, a 2002 type S with 9k miles on it. That is my concern. The other question is should i keep the AC system from the 92 civic HB? or should i get the Radiator + the AC condensor for the Type S and install it on the civic? which one will be easier to work with ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts