Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bone-stock 2007 Civic Si. The engine starts when cold, even when it is freezing outside. Once the engine is warmed up, the starter won't crank the engine over. The car still starts easily by allowing it to roll and dropping the clutch. Does anyone know specifically what this might be?

· Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
10,414 Posts
The starter engages and cranks weakly before laying down. No clicking noises are made. I'd think the battery was the issue, except the car starts normally when cold.
Torque demand is cold higher. The battery supplies a better chemical performance warm. Concluding, that would be paradox. Another possibility could be an ECT issue, which affects the fuel correction. Does the ECT show plausible values?

· Super Moderator
Lotus Elise K20A2
1,739 Posts
weak cranking is either a sign of the starter generating low torque or the engine becoming hard to crank when hot.

Is there anything odd about the engine running when hot? Normal idle? Normal rev drop after a throttle blip or disengaging the clutch?

Do the lights in the dash flicker more than normal while cranking?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The engine runs normally after starting it by dropping the clutch while rolling. I will have to check to see if the warning lights are flashing more than normal. As it would happen, the car no longer starts with the starter while cold either. I'm thinking it is the starter or starter solenoid, which I think is part of the starter on this engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts