Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an ep3! Is there anything i need to be aware of when i go to swap my high mileage k20a3 motor from my ep3 si with an rsx base model a3.. Just the motor. The engine has 270k on it and i just don't think thats reliable anymore i need.. Should i do both trans and engine? Is there anything specific i need to do or will she just bolt up and i can drive. Im trying to make it a reliable daily.. So i also plan on updating front and rear suspension components along with the hubs.. As she sits right now she has a mean oil leak. Could it be the timing cover? Cuz i can't seem to spot the leaks location.. I love the ep3, i plan on tastefully modding it.. It was loved at some point but it has seen better days.. The previous owner changed the exhaust cam because it was chewed up, so that puts more uncertainty in the engine bearings. I just wanna make it daily reliable without breaking the bank.. Im gonna do all the work myself.. Cheers!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need to change the intake manifold over. rsx k20a3 has a plastic 2 runner intake that gives a bit more torque, the ep3 one does not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
"rsx k20a3 has a plastic 2 runner intake that gives a bit more torque." I just came up on an k24a1 engine for 60$. (block, i.manifold,header. Accesories. no belts, no fly wheel. Not too many hoses. They said it had issues with compression on a cylinder... So im banking hoping that the cylinders them selves are fine. Because mechanic does more maintenance related stuff. Ya feel me?

So u think a would the k24a1 mani would be less restrictive?.. But you think i would lose throttle response with it.. .. Or do u think i can swap the a1 bottom end in and hook every thing up in a weekend. 😆😆.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
sx k20a3 has a plastic 2 runner intake that gives a bit more torque
So u think a would the k24a1 mani would be less restrictive?.. But you think i would lose throttle response with it..
I agree to @Angry Welshman, the K20A3 plastic manifold with the Intake Manifold Air Valve (switches runner length by a plenum valve) does give you more torque in the midrange. The actuation of the IMAV is done by ECU, so that has to be also considered when using that specific IM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i havent tooled much this week but i i noticed i have a prb hf1 IM. It looks like have 3 inch ex from the headers to the cat and from cat-back i have some nonsense...

would the a3head work on the k24a1? without major modification?
Do i need to get an rsx harness and ecu to run the a1?? I think i might have found the oil leak.. Could it be leaking from the cam chain tensioner cover? Its either that or its the vtec pressure switch. .. Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.