Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have this forged internals and sleeved K24A2 with complete 4P Pro 156 V2 head and RR4 cams all motor engine (all new parts) having a rattling sound even when idling and gets louder when the rpm rises. Oil level and pressure is good. I want to know if this is normal, is there any mechanical fault, will there be any harm to the engine if I proceed to dyno tune to 9K rpm (fitted with 4P ported oil pump)?

Engine has exceeded the run in mileage and passed 10K miles. Oil change done, did not find any metal shavings when filtered the drained oil over fine cloth. VTC oil screen checked and completely clean. Items replaced trying to troubleshoot the sound include all brand new VTC solenoid valve, RBB VTC cam gear, chain tensioner, VTEC solenoid valve (Screen also found to be clean). No engine codes found.

Refer to attached video, first 20 seconds is on warm idle at operating temperature. When I pulled on the throttle cable, you will hear the rise in the rattling sound.

20211008_213939.mp4

·
Registered
695 Posts
I mainly hear the injectors. These have a hard clicking sound to them. The noise level gets lower as you move the camera away from the injectors.
Forged pistons with copious amounts of p2w clearance also make the engine sound more mechanical.

My k22 stroker with 70-100 µm p2w on supertech pistons was significantly mechanically louder than my current k20 with Mahle forged pistons on 60µm p2w clearance and coated skirts.

If you want to locate the noise better, get a piece of fuel or silicone hose and hold it to your ear while hoovering the other end close to the suspected noise sources, e.g. the injectors.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,021 Posts
Built motors with forged internals and stiff valvetrain are louder from the front, they make a lot more engine noise as lotus said. As well as the injectors tapping. Sounds normal to me to be honest. If fluids are all good and compression/leak down checks out then I would run it.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
this is coming way out of left field here,

in engine's with larger cams how do the service deadlines change or is sticking to the oem scheduled timeline qualify?

things like valve lash service. checking the rockers, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel relieved to know it's normal.

@KBuilt - i didn't do any test as i have no access to the tools.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts