Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi to everyone, i have a k24z3 with k20a2 head.
here is my problem

Look thin link and read from Time for the sensors.
https://sites.google.com/site/sharkteksfg2civicsi/do-it-yourself/k24-k20-frankenstien-swap
ckp sensor
knock sensor
oil pressure sendindg unit

Today i connect the engine harness that should be from k20 to the k24z3 knock sensor and to oil sender unit, and fit perfectly (my sensors are same of tsx sensors that you can see in the link above). how if the plugs are different from k20 an k24?

I'm thinking that i have wrong engine harness: Accord wiring.

If it is from K20A2 sure CANNOT fit on this 2 sensor, but CAN on iat sensor and ckp sensor (k20a2 ckp sensor bought with k20a2 timing chain cover, because for let the Z3 works with kpro i must install "A series" pulser plate, ckp sensor and timing chain cover).

NOW HOW TO CLEAR THIS PROBLEM?
1-Buy just the k20 connectors (ckp and iat) and switch with k24 ones? Then can I run Kpro or i must have k20a engine harness?
2-buy k20a engine harness, k20a oil pressure sending and k20 knock sensor?
3-buy k20a engine harness and the k24 plugs for oil pressure sending and for the knock sensor?

i don't think k20 ecu can connect correctly with k24 engine harness :(

please help me, im shitting brix with this problem :(

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
iat sensor in my hand isnt from k20.
it's too big. I compared it this afternoon with the iat sensor of his ep3.

about engine harness i think it cames from k24z3 because match all the sensor but not k20 ckp.
k24a k24z and k20a have different ckp connector plug. they are all different.
so if my actual harness fit on my old K24z3 ckp sensor, the harness is from k24z3

about oil pressure and knock sensor, is better change them with k20 ones for match the k20a engine harness or can i use k24 sensors and change the connectors plug on k20 harness with k24 ones?

i'll run k20a2 ecu and kpro.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know it’s been a while but what head gasket did u use? K24z3 block is a little different from k20 and k24a. The water jackets are different

K24z top and k24a/k20 bottom pic

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
You use the head gasket for the cylinder head being used. Matching of bore size is also important. you will need to modify the block as circled to get a proper oil passage sealant in that area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dont recall reading about this step on this post. I just saw this yesterday when I took my k20 motor apart the other day

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wonder if it gave him issues. it looks like the passage would just be smaller and wouldnt matter which head gasket to use as long as bore size is right

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
The oil drain galley in question needs to be made into a circle, to allow the different head gaskets to seal in that area. I'm not going to say if you could get away with it by not, or by putting some hondabond in that area, just saying to seal like factory, it needs to match properly. IIRC the OP had a thread on honda-tech(?) that outlined the modifications needed to run that head on that block.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually after looking at the head and the block, i dont need modify anything. The oil passage hole at tHe bottom end of the head only has a circle passage and same with k24z3 head. It matches up even if the oval is at a different degree and head gasket will seal it so don’t matter which head gasket as long as its the correct bore size

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Put a k24a2 or k24a head gasket on (same as k20z3 but in 87mm) the k24z block and you will see what I'm talking about. If I get a free hour this afternoon I will take pictures of my block and show you what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ur right. I put the k24z head gasket on the head and had a gap. Good thing i bought a second one. I dont think i have to modify a hole because the hole is offset on the head so it will just integrate with the k24z hole

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts