Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be re-builiding my K20A2 block with stock internals. Basically i want the rods reconditioned, pistons cleaned, crank micropolished, and the whole rotating assembly balanced. As well as new rings, ARP rod bolts and brand new oem bearings. my biggest question is bearings! As you all know Honda color codes their bearings.

When i take the block to get balanced and the cylinders honed, obviously they need the whole rotating assembly consisting of the crank, pistons(pins/clips), rods(bolts), flywheel, harmonic balancer, and of course the bearings.

My question about the bearings is, could i just send them the original bearings to use during balancing and then i can figure out which new set of bearings i need after they have assembled and balanced the bottom end? this way, i would have to take the rotating assembly back apart to measure and plastigage the clearances to see what color bearings i would need. the new bearings shouldnt throw the balance off at all after the balance with the old bearings? i'd imagine barely any...

Or should i just leave it all up to them? send them everything, have them do their measurements and plastigaging and then have them order new oem bearings themselves and assemble the whole block for me with the new bearings?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I have never sent bearings out with any of the several hundred rotating assemblies I have sent out to be balanced. The bearings are not part of the rotating assembly, they do not impact balance at all.

You will need to send the pressure plate out along with everything else as well.

They do not balance the assembly within the block, but on a balancing machine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i went to another machine shop today to get more price quotes...

so i wouldnt need to bring them the block for balancing? regardless im going to because it needs to get honed. but if it wasnt getting honed, then i wouldnt have to bring the block?

another question on bearings... im gonna be removing my crank so i can get the bearing codes. since the engine only has roughly 45k on it, it should be safe to use brand new oem bearings of the same color that the crank states? i just have to double check with plastigage after the new bearings are installed just to be safe correct?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.